Login

russian armor

Suggested buff for MG-42

26 Jan 2015, 15:43 PM

- yet my MG didn't fire for like additional 2 sec because the gunner preferred to stare into space
- then it fired half a burst, but then my gunner was killed
- the next guy in line walked slowly towards the gun. Upon reaching it, the same thing happened over again.
- then I was fed up and ordered a retreat.

This is also a major problem with HMG34 and M2. Maxim is a bit better.
26 Jan 2015, 16:01 PM

I think a lot of what has to do with MG42s performing poorly is how glitchy gun crews are when remanning the gun.

And this applies to all support weapons too. The gunner dying usually takes way too long to reposition (let alone retreat) before all damage/suppression is gone or flanks created.
26 Jan 2015, 16:59 PM

I think a lot of what has to do with MG42s performing poorly is how glitchy gun crews are when remanning the gun.

And this applies to all support weapons too. The gunner dying usually takes way too long to reposition (let alone retreat) before all damage/suppression is gone or flanks created.

Unfortunately mg42 is more vital to ost than any other mg is to the other factions.Because grens are the only real infantry ost gets,and they can't do their job earlygame without proper functioning mg42 to support.Both the advanced inf pzgrens and/or lack of any elite infantry pigeonholes ost infantrygame into very predictable and static type of play.Mg42 is not respected AT ALL by any allied infantry,let alone feared,,which is just sad.
26 Jan 2015, 22:32 PM

Except T-70 is a vehicle, Obers are pure AI - Obers, obviously, should be countered.
HMG is infantry, Blob is AI - not so obvious matchup, depends on size of blob and its equipment.

If you would be able to deny large areas with lonely HMGs, it would made HMG spam a viable strategy for Ost, which is, obviously, not a healthy strategy.

1) HMG have less sight range than firing range, therefore it is designed to at least have another unit as spotter.
2) MG42 is a tool of crowd control. It disables squads. It is supposed to use with units, that will perform killing and soaking damage, making possible to win engagement with less resource investment than your enemy's.

I want to say that you shouldn't expect to counter 100% of enemy army with 10% of yours.
It is okay if you can't stop 3 rifles with pair of BARs and leutenant (1040 MP, 120 MU, 50 FU) with your lonely MG42 (240 MP) even in head-on attack.

I agree that MG-42 could use a little buff, but don't justify it with your wrong usage of it.

The post above is a good example of my units worth more mp so i should be able to crush you that without considering the tactical situation that the terrain can dictate.

I say that a HMG in yellow cover or more should be able to stop in it's tracks any blob of infantry coming at it within it's firing arc. HMG were made to do such thing. They still do it in real life.

If that don't happen, then something must be change to make it happen again. It's why others units exist specifically to counter them. (again : Mortars,snipers, arty, tanks, smoke..)

Intelligence, innovation and creativity must make a strong comeback in this game.
The mindless boring frontal assault (aka blob assault) must go.

Thanks.
27 Jan 2015, 23:40 PM

I find it interesting that people say it's no skill to A move into an mg and yet, nobody comments on how little skill it takes to plop down an mg and point it somewhere.

I say, maybe a slight increase in far range accuracy would be ok or a slight buff to traverse speed, other than that, it's fine. When I play allies I always try to grab an mg42 if one drops because that's how good it is.
28 Jan 2015, 01:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2015, 18:47 PMKatitof

Still can't expect a single unit to stop 5x worth of resources investment at least(multiple double BARed rifles like in the example mentioned before), if it could, it would be a textbook definition of imbalance.

That many bullets into that many people should mean more dead people.
28 Jan 2015, 02:31 AM

The point of HMGs in the coh franchise has never really been to kill people, it's to suppress people so that other things can more easily kill them.
28 Jan 2015, 06:41 AM

Yea, in battlefield or MoW. Not in CoH2.
28 Jan 2015, 08:36 AM

That many bullets into that many people should mean more dead Suppressed people.

28 Jan 2015, 08:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 06:41 AMKatitof

Yea, in battlefield or MoW. Not in CoH2.

Bullshit, it happens in COH1, MG42 killing power is like incendiary round enabled MG42 in COH2, having a sturmtiger AOE of high suppression.
By what law that titoff ridiculously decide what should happens in game, what should not?

I said so many time titoff is just another Allies version of Vetlolcake or Nullist, people don't give a shit.
28 Jan 2015, 11:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 08:49 AMPorygon

Bullshit, it happens in COH1, MG42 killing power is like incendiary round enabled MG42 in COH2, having a sturmtiger AOE of high suppression.
By what law that titoff ridiculously decide what should happens in game, what should not?

I said so many time titoff is just another Allies version of Vetlolcake or Nullist, people don't give a shit.

1) He wasn't talking about franchise, just CoH2.
2) So what's the point in building units that do damage, when you can build units that do damage and also AoE-suppress?

ZeaviS has pointed out an interesting thing.
jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2015, 23:40 PMZeaviS
I find it interesting that people say it's no skill to A move into an mg and yet, nobody comments on how little skill it takes to plop down an mg and point it somewhere.

And you, guys, want it to instantly AoE-suppress, making "please-no-your-infantry-here-thanks" zone.
And now you want it also to do damage.

Why? Because it is 1337 g3rman ub3r m0d3rn HMG on tripod?

You want realism? Let's make M-42 gun to snipe HMG positions with HE-shells. I know, you love one-shots.

(source http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=149803&sid=d3bc7af9ee3153bd8a6572ad04dcd237
I don't know where he took those numbers
)

WW2 currency conversion rates:
1 USD = 2.5 German mark.
1 USD = 5.3 Russian rubles. Pegged artificially low. Actual rate should be about 1 USD per 10 rubles.

Panzer MkIVG (and later) tank (75mm main gun, 50mm armor) - $46,387.
T-34/76 tank - $30,943 (164,000 rubles. Official exchange rate. Real USD price is roughly twice this amount.)
(According to wiki T-34 (model 1943) costed 135,000 rubles.)

T-34 should cost roughly 67% of Pz.IV, which is 83 fuel. How cool is that?

So, please, put away your "realism" arguments as they counterproductive to interesting gameplay.
It may break immersion, but otherwise it would be just unplayable... for one of sides.

AGAIN, what did I wanted to say?

If you spread your army through entire map (I will spend 240 MP to put HMG here and another 240 to there) don't be surprised that opponent beat it part by part using all his force (aka Blob).

I agreed that HMG should be able to hold its ground against a certian number of infantry in head-on attack, and even more infantry if HMG is used with spotter. Let's call that number of infantry HMG's "survivability threshold".

So you, guys, saying that MG42's survivability threshold is too low. Maybe you right.
I just think that if MG42 would be able to stop dead in its tracks ANY number of infantry it would harm gameplay, although, it would be more realistic and immersive.

What factors affect survivability threshold?
- amount of suppression
- AoE of suppression
- sight range
- firing range (only if used with another unit as a spotter)
- traverse speed
- crew size
- setup/dismount time (used in case of molotov or smoke grenade, but it shouldn't make flanking less rewarding)
- reload time
- aim time
- firing arc
That's it.
Although we modeling head-on attack, still firing arc is a factor too, because with narrow arc enemy blob could manage to just move outside of it (I'm looking at you, Maxim).
Damage isn't a factor for survivability threshold.

Now I ask you, which parameters you think should be changed?

28 Jan 2015, 15:10 PM

Suppression and traverse speed.
To tell you the truth,and i'll be blunt after months of complete ignorance for the faction,i feel as an ost player i've just about had enough of this shit..this 'besieged until tiger' thing...this is not the game i came to play when i moved to coh2 from coh1.Relic should just release a statement whether they are interested in keeping ost as a faction or just say no,after 3 months we are going to do some bug patch in february.. and let us move on.I no longer give a rat's ass about 'instapin' boogeyman or 'terminator' phobia antics that allied fanboys bring up to keep mg42 and pzgrens useless.
28 Jan 2015, 15:23 PM

I think they should buff the weapon horizontal traverse speed. It's too slow for MG42.
28 Jan 2015, 15:40 PM

austerlitz

since soviet/ostheer didn't change
i assume your main issue is with US?

what if i told you all you need is 1 squad to take out an mg
given that
-you know where it is and its firing arc
-its not supported

but yes i agree having an mg create a no go zone while your infantry is somewhere else capping would make life easier

how do you think the other factions mg's do? try them

soviet and ostheer need to be looked at

trying to solve the issue with buffs to mg's alone is a bad solution
28 Jan 2015, 16:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 15:40 PMbogeuh
austerlitz

given that
-its not supported

but yes i agree having an mg create a no go zone while your infantry is somewhere else capping would make life easier

Buffing HMG is a good start, but may others avenues must also be considered.

Thanks.
28 Jan 2015, 16:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 15:40 PMbogeuh
austerlitz

given that
-its not supported

You don't realise that M2HB and maxim are nowhere near as vital to functioning of soviet and us earlygame as mg42 is to ostheer.So yes,either buff mg42 with discrimination,or change grenadiers in a away they can fight rifles on their own earlygame,even if it means cost increase.Its not ost players fault,relic designed it this way.making ost earlygame too dependant on mg42 and this long range DPS shit when conscripts get to build sandbags,then they nerfed the mg42 to shit or gave its opposite numbers tools to make it completely useless.Smoke and urrah.Infantry wiping by crawling while suppressed.Overall i'm just fed up with the shitty siege type playstyle of ostheer thats been going on for far too long and if i'm ranting i don't give a damn.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★