Login

russian armor

KV1?

4 Jan 2015, 02:05 AM

I've started to notice something quite odd about the KV1 recently - it seems fairly well balanced. I just thought I'd bring this to Relic's attention so they can either make it ridiculously good or completely worthless with an upcoming patch.

All joking aside though, I don't see a ton of KV1s around. The only doc it's in off the top of my head is Counterattack, which I've mainly been using for it's B4. But it's a nice resilient medium that has a non-trivial chance of deflecting shreks, and can soak up good damage. It synergises quite well with Jacksons if you want a USF player as a partner in team games. Should the tank be in more doctrines?
4 Jan 2015, 02:13 AM

Nah you act as if Relic listens to community...
4 Jan 2015, 02:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've loved the KV1 for some time
4 Jan 2015, 03:02 AM

I've noticed that it comes out late enough to start getting killed by Axis Heavies the moment its out.

Anything I can do to counteract this? (Since I'm beginning to really like the KV-1, it's just a big brute)
4 Jan 2015, 03:19 AM

4 Jan 2015, 03:25 AM

Depending on the intensity of the combat and how successful your early harassment was, you could be facing down an OKW panther easily.

There's no special advice for dealing with them, the KV1 is a more durable T34. You probably have an AT gun + cons to help screen the enemy forces, and if you have the manpower the B4 can help annihilate the enemy support units, plus deal with the superheavies if they arrive later on.
4 Jan 2015, 03:37 AM
Patrion 27

It's a heavy not a medium and yes it is quite a decent tank. I prefer it to the T34 and the SU85 most of the time in team games I just wish there was at least one more commander with it.
4 Jan 2015, 04:28 AM

I've noticed that it comes out late enough to start getting killed by Axis Heavies the moment its out.

Anything I can do to counteract this? (Since I'm beginning to really like the KV-1, it's just a big brute)
it usually comes out in time to be you're second tank. Buy an su-85 first to handle armored threats. At guns work too. It's not much of a tank killer but its good for protecting the things that are.
4 Jan 2015, 04:59 AM
Senior Caster Badge

The best way to use it is with by going SU-85 first than KV-1, or in team games Jacksons. Since it's not very expensive, I think 135 fuel? It means you can generally tech for an SU-85 and either have the KV-1 ready to go by 8cp or be quite close to it. Also bear in mind that teching up to T4 does give you a fair bit of XP so it helps you reach that 8cp a little bit faster.

The B4 is obviously fantastic but you have to be wary of it just getting instantly killed by a one of the many Wehrmacht arty strikes that can kill it. Spamming mines on base entrances is good to prevent the scout car or tank rush getting vision, but if you're versing some of the commanders that can just recon + stuka bomb then there is actually nothing you can do to keep it alive. For that reason it can be risky going for Counter Attack, and you'll often have to wait until they lock in their doctrine to see if it's safe to do so, but you often can't afford to do that as Soviets because then you don't get your Elite infantry call ins mid game.
4 Jan 2015, 05:30 AM

145 I believe.
4 Jan 2015, 05:47 AM

Thanks guys, I want to like my KV, so I'll be giving it another try soon.
4 Jan 2015, 05:51 AM

The KV1 is good for tanking damage and punishing Ostheer for Panzer IV spam, but it could still use a buff to it's ROF and speed/acceleration.
4 Jan 2015, 05:51 AM

Yes, KV-1 is the final piece in making Soviet T4 perform at its best. You get SU-85 AT with KV-1 meatshield and katyusha rocket artillery to blast away anything you dont like. SU-76 is there to taunt the enemy that you are capable of building a giant piece of crap in your spare time as a joke. But yeah, the kv-1 is only in one commander. D:

Granted, one very good commander with shock elite infantry and B4 super-heavy tank eraser.
4 Jan 2015, 06:22 AM

The KV1 is good for tanking damage and punishing Ostheer for Panzer IV spam, but it could still use a buff to it's ROF and speed/acceleration.

the cannon becomes a machine gun at vet 3 lol. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. Fires like every 3 seconds
4 Jan 2015, 06:33 AM

I just lost 5 KV1s in a 40 minute game and still came out on top.

#B4 with 60+ kills
4 Jan 2015, 06:57 AM
Senior Caster Badge

The issue with it is you'll if you go KV-1 + SU-85 you'll probably just lose to Volks Shrek Blobs.
4 Jan 2015, 07:13 AM

The issue with it is you'll if you go KV-1 + SU-85 you'll probably just lose to Volks Shrek Blobs.
KV-1's armor makes it a bit better a taking on schreks then most tanks. It doesn't have to run away at the first sight of them unlike the T34s.
4 Jan 2015, 07:32 AM
Senior Caster Badge

KV-1's armor makes it a bit better a taking on schreks then most tanks. It doesn't have to run away at the first sight of them unlike the T34s.

True but rarely does it actually do enough damage to the Volks, generally it'll take a whole bunch of punishment and due to it's high health it takes quite a while to repair. Unless you have good B4 RNG it can be hard to deal with OKW blobs with a less hard hitting vehicle compared to IS-2/ISU or T-34/85. KV-1 and SU-85 is much better against Wehrmacht because you'll see Paks for AT instead of Volks Shreks, but then you have to worry about the B4 being effortlessly killed with an off map arty strike.
4 Jan 2015, 08:23 AM
Patrion 28

if you're t4 you can grab a katy, provided you can spare the resources.
4 Jan 2015, 09:03 AM

Really it's the Obers countering your Shocks and other infantry that make the OKW situation tricky, otherwise a heavy investment in shrek blobs would be pretty useless in the face of your own inf. I'm not sure if you need RNG on your side with the B4 as much as you just need to plan where to face it well, but in a 1v1 context it's certainly true that it can be overrun pretty easily by inf swarms if you can't land a good blow with the first or second shell.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★