Login

russian armor

Addition of T34 to the Soviet HQ to resolve tech problems

30 Sep 2014, 15:51 PM

Ostheer would have no problems with T34/85s in soviet T3. It's like saying that Soviet T3 can't handle Ostheer T3 in any way. It's bullshit. Get a PAK40 or a panzerschrek squad, plant some mines.

The only problem Ostheer has against T34/85s is that they outnumber P4s because they are call-in tanks and thus require no tech investment to call-in. Having a 120 fuel unlock barrier will fix this.

As for OKW, they have no right to complain. T34/76s are a joke against OKW because all they need to counter it are volksgrenadiers with panzerschreks. T34/85s are the only soviet medium tanks that actually force the OKW to get some armor.

It's very silly that soviets are stuck using early-war units while the multiplayer is set in the later stages of the war. Having T34/76s as stock units would be fine if axis had P3 and STUGIIIs as their best stock tanks, but they can field panthers and even bloody Tiger IIs. If we want the stupid call-in meta to change, the soviet stock army needs to be of the same caliber as the axis stock army. And that means an actual late-war medium tank.

I totally agree man
30 Sep 2014, 16:58 PM

I think you won't see T4 anymore. EVER. Because early T-34/76 + late SU-85 just don't cut it.
Also most players will just ignore T-34/76 option and go straight to T3 and T-34-85 spam ALWAYS.

So when I was suggesting this to the people I play with, their worry was that no one would go T3. They thought that the superior AT ability of the SU85, combined with the T34/76 for AI and the Katyusha for arty would just be too tempting to ignore. I personally think that both T3 and T4 will be viable as a stand alone, self sufficient option. Even if one is slightly better than the other, the important thing is it will be possible to go the other one, and when that situation arises where you think you will need a katyusha (or whichever), you won't be hamstringing yourself in the process.

So you think relic should rip all the t34/85s out of their respective commanders and replace them with what exactly?

My suggestion was to replace them with a vetted T34/85 option. But as Brachiaraidos said, there are plenty of possibilities.
30 Sep 2014, 18:04 PM

So when I was suggesting this to the people I play with, their worry was that no one would go T3. They thought that the superior AT ability of the SU85, combined with the T34/76 for AI and the Katyusha for arty would just be too tempting to ignore. I personally think that both T3 and T4 will be viable as a stand alone, self sufficient option. Even if one is slightly better than the other, the important thing is it will be possible to go the other one, and when that situation arises where you think you will need a katyusha (or whichever), you won't be hamstringing yourself in the process.

I agree; I think both T3/4 would be equally viable and up to the style of the player and situation. I currently play with T34/85s a lot atm; but if the T34/76 were in the HQ then I think I may favour T4. The point is, is that putting the T34/76 in the HQ provides equally valid arguments for going T3 or T4... That is exactly what you want.

I do think that changing the T34/76 to more of an AI role would also be needed to give further distinction from the T34/85s in T3 and not have, to some extent, "the best of both worlds" if you go T4.
30 Sep 2014, 18:12 PM

Ostheer would have no problems with T34/85s in soviet T3. It's like saying that Soviet T3 can't handle Ostheer T3 in any way. It's bullshit. Get a PAK40 or a panzerschrek squad, plant some mines.

The only problem Ostheer has against T34/85s is that they outnumber P4s because they are call-in tanks and thus require no tech investment to call-in. Having a 120 fuel unlock barrier will fix this.

As for OKW, they have no right to complain. T34/76s are a joke against OKW because all they need to counter it are volksgrenadiers with panzerschreks. T34/85s are the only soviet medium tanks that actually force the OKW to get some armor.

It's very silly that soviets are stuck using early-war units while the multiplayer is set in the later stages of the war. Having T34/76s as stock units would be fine if axis had P3 and STUGIIIs as their best stock tanks, but they can field panthers and even bloody Tiger IIs. If we want the stupid call-in meta to change, the soviet stock army needs to be of the same caliber as the axis stock army. And that means an actual late-war medium tank.

Oh my i just had a wonderful memory when the p4 did 160 damage and the t-34 120. lopsided tier 3 battles all over the place resulting easy wins for the ostheer. relic would be totally out of their minds if they replace the 85 with the standard t-34.
30 Sep 2014, 18:26 PM

Better add KV-85 to tier 3 or 4. It is EXACTLY the kind of non-doctrinal unit needed for soviet late game - mediocre DPS, high survivability, adequate penetration. They were built on base of KV-1S, which was faster than KV-1 and had better mobility on weak grounds because of wider tracks and lesser weight.

Tier may be reworked like:
T3 - M5, T-34, SU-85, Katyusha
T4 - T-70, SU-76, KV-85

Also you won't have to change any existing commanders.
30 Sep 2014, 18:30 PM

Why not instead making it an upgrade? keep the T34-76 in the T3 building, to gain access to the T34-85 you have to "research" it for like 100-150 fuel. Once research you can then choose to build T34-85s from the T3 building or the T34.
30 Sep 2014, 18:43 PM

Why not instead making it an upgrade? keep the T34-76 in the T3 building, to gain access to the T34-85 you have to "research" it for like 100-150 fuel. Once research you can then choose to build T34-85s from the T3 building or the T34.

The point is not to add a T34/85 to T3 as it is to add a T34/76 to the HQ to provide more variety and adaptability to the Soviet meta.
30 Sep 2014, 18:47 PM

The point is not to add a T34/85 to T3 as it is to add a T34/76 to the HQ to provide more variety and adaptability to the Soviet meta.

Making the T34-85 a T3 immediately would basically rule the T34-76 at HQ useless, it would turn into another t70. There has to be some sort of fuel cost to gain access to the 85.
30 Sep 2014, 18:55 PM

Making the T34-85 a T3 immediately would basically rule the T34-76 at HQ useless, it would turn into another t70. There has to be some sort of fuel cost to gain access to the 85.

Part of the suggestion also included making the T34/76 more of an AI unit rather. That would give it more distinction from the T34/85. The T70 would be lighter and come out earlier than the T34/76 and the T34/85 would come out a little later and be AT.

Making the 85 an upgraded 76 from T3 means that T4 has no access to it and just makes T3 better. T4 currently is a lot less appealing unless it is supplemented by doctrine choice.
30 Sep 2014, 19:22 PM

Better add KV-85 to tier 3 or 4. It is EXACTLY the kind of non-doctrinal unit needed for soviet late game - mediocre DPS, high survivability, adequate penetration. They were built on base of KV-1S, which was faster than KV-1 and had better mobility on weak grounds because of wider tracks and lesser weight.

Tier may be reworked like:
T3 - M5, T-34, SU-85, Katyusha
T4 - T-70, SU-76, KV-85

Also you won't have to change any existing commanders.

That is plausible. My issue with this approach is that 1) You have to create a whole new unit, which I think is a fair bit of work from Relic's side, and therefore less likely. 2) It has less flexibility than my method, imo 3) I really like the symmetry between the conscript, T1, T2 set up and the T34/76, T3, T4 proposal :)

Yeah, I have worried about this too. The problem is, there is currently no precedent for a unique upgrade for a single unit. I think the T34/85 could alternatively have its AI reduced (or something along these lines) to solve the issue. Its hard to say without testing how it would play a little first.
1 Oct 2014, 09:52 AM

I really like the proposal of having the T34-76 as a stock HQ unit. It means you can still have a MBT (all be it a weaker variant) whilst going t4. One of the reasons I keep calling in off map tanks such as the m4c Sherman, is to have a MBT whilst going t4. Therefore I think introducing the T34 to the HQ as a un-lockable unit, would reduce the call in spam.
6 Oct 2014, 17:51 PM

The problem here is that you make the T34 commanders kind of pointless. They should just re-work the teching system. I don't think the design of having to pick between T3 and T4 is a good one, it's too limiting. They should make T3 contain all the light tanks and make it so you need at least two tiers built to make T4, similar to USF.

With the exception of ram, the T34 is in a good spot. What hurts the T34 more than anything is the fact that soviet AT is so good, it makes it really hard to take advantage of it's supposed strength, which is flanking.
6 Oct 2014, 18:19 PM
Donator 22

So you think relic should rip all the t34/85s out of their respective commanders and replace them with what exactly?

relic pionted out that the T34-85 will never be non-doctrinal
6 Oct 2014, 19:00 PM

And yet KT and Panthers are.....hahahha
6 Oct 2014, 19:03 PM

And yet KT and Panthers are.....hahahha

Because they were produced en masse and were the very core of all armored companies at the end of war for axis.

No wait... thats StuGs.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 41
Korea, Republic Of 3
Russian Federation 114
unknown 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L