Login

russian armor

CoHO, bulletin crafting, profitability

17 Sep 2014, 17:32 PM

I kinda miss CoHO...
Anyone still pissed about CoHO being cancelled? I kinda liked that game and from where am standing it is very likely that THQ decided to pull the plug in the end as they didn't want to go up against World of Tanks. It happens all the time in the industry, Ninja Theory had their game cancelled because publisher had no balls to go up against Bungies Destiny. Back to the topic.

Are you happy with current bulletins and war spoils system?
CoHO had a pretty nice bulletin system, with WFA vCoH2 bulletin system got one stem closer to CoHO system. Except it looks like an ugly step sister who lack any sort of sex appeal. I am of opinion that both players and Relic will benefit from further improving and building upon current bulletin iteration.

Bulletin crafting
Bulletin crafting would be really cool and fun, don't you agree? Like if you have a Panther +5% speed, +2% armor and +4% extra penetration bulletins, you could try to craft them into one single Unique bulletin with all bonuses in one card. Of course such powerful item would need some sort of balancing. What if it had tokens, similar to current timer on commander bulletins? But for every game one token would be used up. When all tokens are used up, the card will be destroyed within 24 hours unless recharged.

Limitations and balance issues.
I think there should be unlimited possibilities in regard for bulletin combinations. But you should only be able to combine a maximum of 3 bulletins at a time. In addition there is a level beyond which you cannot pass. Like if you combine 3 common bulletins you get 1 uncommon, combining 3 uncommon into one rare and 3 rares into one unique. But the line has to be drawn at unique to avoid OP stats, so you cannot combine unique bulletins.

Tokens and profitability
In order to recharge bulletins the game will require some sort of currency, which is earned by playing the game. This will enable CoH2 do what CoHO aimed at, going the same route as World of Tanks and War Thunder or League of Legends went. By having a premium account you will earn twice as much currency enabling you to sustain your high level bulletins. Monetizing Company of Heroes 2 in such way will relieve Relic from the need to constantly produce new games or DLC in order to generate income in order to keep the company afloat.

Drops and duplicates
If you have duplicate bulletins, instead of paying to recharge your existing bulletin, you can simply craft a new one. This way game can constantly award you with some sort of bulletins for playing and players will have use for them.

/End
Just throwing this out to you people, hope you understand what I have written and my intentions.
Proposed idea is great for arcade and mindless team games, but what about 1v1 and pro players?
What is their opinion on the this and how can it be made work for all?

Sincerely yours, ZF.
17 Sep 2014, 17:36 PM

CoHO was a masterpiece, it was on track to become a LoL or Dota 2 type game due to it being free and also having the CoH franchise backing it. I am saddened that due to the inevitable bankruptcy of THQ this had to be shut down. It is unfortunate that Relic + SEGA couldn't try this again, but obviously they never will considering Sega's buying of THQ means all they want is $$$$ for their return for at least 5 years.
17 Sep 2014, 17:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 17:36 PMVonIvan
CoHO was a masterpiece, it was on track to become a LoL or Dota 2 type game due to it being free and also having the CoH franchise backing it. I am saddened that due to the inevitable bankruptcy of THQ this had to be shut down. It is unfortunate that Relic + SEGA couldn't try this again, but obviously they never will considering Sega's buying of THQ means all they want is $$$$ for their return for at least 5 years.

Currently financial model of League of Legends and World of Tanks is the most profitable model in the industry. The problem is that Relic will have to be able to achieve at least 20.000 paying costumers in order to make this endeavour profitable in the long run. The question: Would CoHO be a game that can fit into Sega's spreadsheet?
17 Sep 2014, 17:49 PM

Currently financial model of League of Legends and World of Tanks is the most profitable model in the industry. The problem is that Relic will have to be able to achieve at least 20.000 paying costumers in order to make this endeavour profitable in the long run. The question: Would CoHO be a game that can fit into Sega's spreadsheet?

Well the problem is Sega isn't looking for a long-term return policy from buying THQ and Relic, they're in it for the short term, thus DLC, Campaigns, ToWs, and Expansions are the only things on their minds. So unfortunately creativity or a recommendation of re-instating past endeavors is quite a low priority, even if in doing so they'd be making $$$$$, but unfortunately they'd rather go for guaranteed short term profiting techniques over risking their investment on something which requires long-term planning and co-operation.
17 Sep 2014, 18:02 PM

COHO was the game i played the most in my life !!!!!, it's was so good, When it close it left a huge hole in my life lol. The 4vs4 was awesome !!!! the battles were epic !!!! It revenue model was just too in advance for it's time and THQ was already in bad shape so they cut it. Coh2 could benefit from many aspects of COHO.... Boy i miss COHO.
17 Sep 2014, 18:10 PM

I don't want any MMO F2P features being included in an RTS that's meant to be competitive and balanced. These are all fun ideas for grinding away, but would damage the balance of the game, which is struggling enough as it is.

17 Sep 2014, 18:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 18:10 PMMadeMan
I don't want any MMO F2P features being included in an RTS that's meant to be competitive and balanced. These are all fun ideas for grinding away, but would damage the balance of the game, which is struggling enough as it is.

Well unfortunately it is too late to try this in CoH2 obviously, but in CoH1 CoHO the balance was actually perfect, considering it was done after 4 years of almost perfect balance cycling. The abilities you could grab weren't broken either(people tested them beforehand) and if they still were afterwards they had quick hotfixes.(unlike coh2 :guyokay:
17 Sep 2014, 18:37 PM

apparently the korean or chinese version of the game (i forget) was obscenely imbalanced and had some crazyshit.
17 Sep 2014, 18:40 PM
Donator 22

I still remember that guy posting his dream of CoHo in one night: in this dream he ran away from a Calliope, was taken over by a running Fatherland MG that rushed past him and then stopped right in front of him, facing him.

I love it.
17 Sep 2014, 19:07 PM

I still remember that guy posting his dream of CoHo in one night: in this dream he ran away from a Calliope, was taken over by a running Fatherland MG that rushed past him and then stopped right in front of him, facing him.

I love it.

hearing that, i m glad i ve never tried coh online
17 Sep 2014, 20:35 PM
Donator 22

just wait, once, there will be a FatherlandMG Bulletin for CoH2 as a super-rare use-once-only drop :-)

would be nice for Christmas...
17 Sep 2014, 20:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 18:11 PMVonIvan

Well unfortunately it is too late to try this in CoH2 obviously, but in CoH1 CoHO the balance was actually perfect, considering it was done after 4 years of almost perfect balance cycling. The abilities you could grab weren't broken either(people tested them beforehand) and if they still were afterwards they had quick hotfixes.(unlike coh2 :guyokay:

...stealth rifles, infantry attrition, self repair, flare, mp blitz giving 150 fuel, triple strike bombing run, combat pioneers, faust on pios...just to name a few...not broken? come on.
17 Sep 2014, 21:09 PM

Friendly reminder CoHO was the greatest CoH of all time. CoH1 and CoH2 just can't compare.

Behold!

• LMG42 Cost Reduction II - 10% cheaper (iirc)
  • Panzer IV Health III - 24% more health
  • Volksgrenadiers Health III - 24% more health
  • Pioneer Health III - 24% more health
  • Stug IV Range II - 10% more range (iirc)
  • MG42 Health III - 24% more health
  • Sniper Cost Reduction II - 10% cheaper (iirc - 304MP snipers, could be cheaper)
  • Sniper Health III - 24% more health

Not pictured: Panzer IV free Armored Skirts, Panzerfaust Cost Reduction II, Nebelwerfer Speed III

Featuring silly things such as:
17 Sep 2014, 21:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 20:55 PMI984

...stealth rifles, infantry attrition, self repair, flare, mp blitz giving 150 fuel, triple strike bombing run, combat pioneers, faust on pios...just to name a few...not broken? come on.

Reason why it wasn't broken: Because everything could be used to counter it, and the amount of unique strategies out there drastically increased for this incredible RTS Game, I highly doubt combat pios, faust availability with pios, triple strike bombing run, and anything else that comes to your mind broke the game because you could still counter it all easily or avoid it. There were many options in the game at your disposal. Some people just didn't understand that concept. It's not like we had Tiger Aces, Assgrens that killed everything, 240mm insta-wipe artillery(when used against armor), or lmg spam.
17 Sep 2014, 23:09 PM
Donator 11

I started with coho. Those days best days in my coh history.
18 Sep 2014, 02:18 AM

CoHO definitely was my favorite iteration of VCoH. The bulletins, hero units, and abilities made just about every strat viable. Even stug spam was a thing in that game. We also have CoHO to tank for the current VCoH balance since most of the changes made to the Americans and Wher in that game eventually found their way to VCoH.

That is not to say there weren't some really unbalanced things about CoHO, its just that each faction had them so it all sorta worked out in the end.
18 Sep 2014, 02:44 AM

#bringbackCOHO?
18 Sep 2014, 03:07 AM

i feel like crafting would open up too much room for people to find abusive/OP bulliten combos.

Right now bulletins only work because they only provide very small advantages. If they had better stats thered be serious balance issues.
18 Sep 2014, 11:36 AM

COHO? Tried it, felt great at the beginning, then... engeneers with bazooka, stealthy and throwing satchel charge?!? Uninstalled it "pronto".
Great idea, but totally broken for new players entering the game which were greatly disadvantaged. You had to gatter you whole army to resist to one squad. That was stupid and unrealistic.
Sure it'snice to have distinguished and customized units but balance was way behind.
Some of COHO features could be implemented further in COH2 I guess but not at that extent, like special units that you can build but not so different related to others in the same cathegory.
18 Sep 2014, 11:42 AM
Senior Editor Badge

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight