Login

russian armor

4v4

17 Sep 2014, 21:02 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 20:42 PMAvNY
I deleted COH2 from both machines. Problem solved.

I'll lurk here and complain once in a while as I wait for there to be a major change in the games meta. :)

OK..... but no trolling, if you're not playing, otherwise consequences ensue. ;)
17 Sep 2014, 21:04 PM

These guys posting that Coh2 is not about 3 or 4v4 and telling people to get over it should just stay away from these threads.
The modes are all there, they should be playable.
17 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM

Maybe Relic should just make a paid DLC MP mode centered on 4v4 team games? So not a regular skirmish, but rather something designed to be fun and balanced with teams of four.

I would buy it gladly.

Maybe some cmdrs especially design for Allied in 4vs4 would help and would be faster than having a new game mode ?
17 Sep 2014, 21:25 PM

There are only 2 issues with 4v4

1. Automatch 4v4 never has 8 equally skilled players

Allies (read Soviet) are infinitely harder for less skilled player to use
Weak player on Axis side becomes threat with heavy tanks, weak player on allies side gradually becomes worse liability and harder to carry as match progresses.

2. It's a lot easier to abuse weaknesses or OP units in team games than 1v1

Both issues are to do with core army designs and that will never change.

Same goes for 2v2

If you want balanced (playable) 4v4 game, you have to find group of players with equal skill and play amongst eachother.
Its always been like that, even in COH1.
Play custom games with friends

You are a genius... go play 1vs1 if you don't want to help us.
17 Sep 2014, 22:04 PM

4VS4 and 3vs3 Its not about balance, this is about FUN and its not fun when u know what army is the best in game (AXIS)best tanks, best inf, best at etc...

P.S My english its pretty bad
17 Sep 2014, 22:11 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

4VS4 and 3vs3 Its not about balance, this is about FUN and its not fun when u know what army is the best in game (AXIS)best tanks, best inf, best at etc...

P.S My english its pretty bad

Your English is more than good enough to be understood :)
17 Sep 2014, 22:14 PM

Oh ok, teamgames are not about balance but fun...

Dude, these two go hand in hand.
17 Sep 2014, 22:14 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Some very interesting points made... having different unit stats is probably the best way, but it is so much work.
I don't play 4v4 or 3v3 often. Sometimes when I'm bored and don't want to be as stressed, I play with big teams.
It is less micro; if you lose a gren squad at ten minutes it's not that big of a deal.

I think the biggest issue in 1v1 is call-ins/heavy tanks. A big part of 4v4 imbalance is the same thing.
I think halving the fuel income of all factions would be beneficial to balance. Not sure how OKW would do with that...maybe strategic points should give one less fuel and/or fuel cache bonuses would not apply to okw players? Also, cutting off resources to players should be easier. If two players are cut off from the map, but if the other two players in the other base sector are connected to territory, the two 'cut off' players still receive resources.
These are all my ideas/brainstorming. I'm not saying they would all work, but they could all be altered slightly to improve balance.

There's not much that can be done with automatching...It seems to be working fine on 1v1, so I assume it works fine with 4v4, but, there are eight players instead of two. Your best chance is to play during the hours of the day (or night) when CoH2 has the most players online.

I like playing 4v4/3v3. It's fun, not as stressful, and awesome at times (awesome in the sense of instilling fear... when railway artillery obliterates clumped infantry). It's fun to see so many units on the field and there's always action somewhere to watch or to help your friends out.
It's incredibly rewarding to flank the south of La Gleize with three Shermans, driving west to east, to catch a Jagdtiger in the ass ;)
17 Sep 2014, 23:53 PM

Some very interesting points made... having different unit stats is probably the best way, but it is so much work.
I don't play 4v4 or 3v3 often. Sometimes when I'm bored and don't want to be as stressed, I play with big teams.
It is less micro; if you lose a gren squad at ten minutes it's not that big of a deal.

I think the biggest issue in 1v1 is call-ins/heavy tanks. A big part of 4v4 imbalance is the same thing.
I think halving the fuel income of all factions would be beneficial to balance. Not sure how OKW would do with that...maybe strategic points should give one less fuel and/or fuel cache bonuses would not apply to okw players? Also, cutting off resources to players should be easier. If two players are cut off from the map, but if the other two players in the other base sector are connected to territory, the two 'cut off' players still receive resources.
These are all my ideas/brainstorming. I'm not saying they would all work, but they could all be altered slightly to improve balance.

There's not much that can be done with automatching...It seems to be working fine on 1v1, so I assume it works fine with 4v4, but, there are eight players instead of two. Your best chance is to play during the hours of the day (or night) when CoH2 has the most players online.

I like playing 4v4/3v3. It's fun, not as stressful, and awesome at times (awesome in the sense of instilling fear... when railway artillery obliterates clumped infantry). It's fun to see so many units on the field and there's always action somewhere to watch or to help your friends out.
It's incredibly rewarding to flank the south of La Gleize with three Shermans, driving west to east, to catch a Jagdtiger in the ass ;)

+1 GOOD POST
18 Sep 2014, 09:11 AM

The 4x4 more fun if you got friends thats right. But allies can only rely on mines and at guns or heavy soviets call-ins for late game. Axis don't bother with combined arms.

This is a not big issue for me, couse my favorite qoute from CoH2 is:
Look - that Panzer burn!

:)
18 Sep 2014, 09:49 AM

I played a 4v4 recently where the game was even map wise and the allies a fair amount of units.

We then proceeded to rush 8 tigers to their base and kill everything in our path.
18 Sep 2014, 10:47 AM

To start I do feel that any RTS, CoH 2 included, should be balanced for is made game mode, which is normally 1v1s. Although I have found that so long as the main game mode is balanced the other modes are very closes to balance as well. Like it has been already been said 2v2s, 3v3s, and 4v4s were in my eyes balanced before WF came out. Not to say that you can’t win as allies after thought. My teammates and I win about 85 to 90 percent of our games as allies in 3v3s and 4v4s. Even with this record it is still way harder than it should be most of the time. I am finding that Axis players that are way worse than us are giving us a hard time just because they play OKW. Not having the same problem with the Vermak thought.

Which is the reason that team games and the whole game in general in my eyes is out of wake. The OKW, unlike the Vermak, are a faction of nothing but end game elite units that own everything the allies have. In a team game the OKW can sit on their elite Inf and base defenses, while they just wait to call in heavies tanks. This plus the vet 5 their units get makes them far better scale into the late game, which just leads to a unbalanced late game.

This on the whole wouldn’t be that bad if the OKW didn’t have the most broken units in the game like the jagdtiger, FJ, and Obers. I mean looking at the Jagdtiger there is no way you can look at it and call it nothing more than a super tank. Shoots though shot blockers, including smoke, and can move, and gets faster turn speed and move speed from the upgrade (only like 75 ammo) and vet. How relic thought this was ok, I get the pak 43 because it has to stay in one place and is a easy arty target, but for the Jagdtiger?

At the end of the day the OKW end game is way to strong and the allies are just not able to compete with it in any mode as far as I am censured. CoH 2 is not starcraft or Age of Empire were even high lvl games can be won in the first 10 or 15 minutes. In CoH 2 you very rarely win in the early game, which has always been something I have loved about the game. Two equal players most the time have a good slug match, with everything their army can bring in. In the rare time you do win in the first 10 to 15 munities it is because you are playing someone way under your skill lvl, who leaves the game rather than fight it out. In an even game you will always play a game of VP which will always push the game to late game mode. This is why I never understood why the OKW were allowed to have such a strong large game compared to other factions in a game that is won or lost in the late game. This is why in my eyes most of the time I see a win with the OKW as just a win because of your choses in army that is the best when it matters.

If this makes me an allied fan boy so be it. I still stand by my opinion that the only way you will balanced CoH 2 team games is if you turn down the OKW late game, and make it weaker, or buff up the allied late game. This is also a problem in 1v1s as well. In the end team game are a good show of the balance state of the game because of the amount of resources and every unit being able to be made. Unlike 1v1s were you will never see a jagdtiger, or a su-85 in competitive play.
18 Sep 2014, 10:55 AM

One of the biggest problems is the amount of resources in 4v4 and shared resources. You are not punished for building fuelcaches or ammocaches plus everyone benefits from them.

The high resources makes it easy to constantly pump out tanks and making coh2 a brody tank war every game.

How many times are you floating 300 plus ammo or fuel in the later game?
Its just too much.
18 Sep 2014, 11:01 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

vermak? did you only hear it pronounced by english people or something? :P
18 Sep 2014, 11:06 AM

vermak? did you only hear it pronounced by english people or something? :P

lol just what I have always called them. Wierd thing is I dont even remember where I got that from, wasn't from CoH.
18 Sep 2014, 11:54 AM

To start I do feel that any RTS, CoH 2 included, should be balanced for is made game mode, which is normally 1v1s.

why so categorically ?

I only can repeat: have you noticed that topics concerning balance problems in 3 vs 3 , 4 vs 4 modes have being emerging increasingly ?

What does it mean ?

At lager scale it means that people nowadays are more interested in team modes rather than in 1 vs 1 in all games, and COH2 is not an exception.

There are measures to settle properly balance in team games not abusing 1 vs 1 modes! It is only question of wish and hard work.
18 Sep 2014, 13:01 PM

I think that halving (reducing) resource gain rate is not an option as it deny some strategies that rely on fast rush to some vehicles (fast T-34 or Ostwind). Opposite side will have plenty of time to prepare counter on it.

The problem is in possibility of skipping tiers and sit on call-ins.
There are two strategies at this moment:
A) Teching and building fast weak vehicles and try to win quick (which is kinda hard in random 4v4)
B) Saving fuel till meeting CP requrement and then rush out many vehicle call-ins

If time window between first built tier-tank and first heavy call-in would be wider, then we will see more teching and less sitting till call-ins.

So I see two solutions to that problem:
1) Increase CP requirements to late vehicle call-ins (T-34-85, IS-2, ISU-152, Tiger etc)
2) Bind call-ins to tiers in order to deny savings I mentioned in strat. B, so both strategy types have same amount of resources to spend on vehicles

Or maybe even implement both of mentioned solutions AND REDUCING RESOURCE GAIN. But then we risk not to see late vehicle call-ins at all, so there would be no point in certain commanders.
18 Sep 2014, 13:13 PM

I know you hate to hear it, but it's true. You can't balance the game for 3v3 and 4v4 without ruining 1v1 and 2v2.

For those of you who are CoH1 vets, you'll remember that 1v1 and 2v2 were very well balanced. 2v2 was actually a little to difficult for Axis because the Brits boost in resources made it too difficult to win early game.

But 4v4 games in CoH1 favored axis, b/c axis could actually drag out the game and get heavy tanks and buy vet 3.

It's always been like this and unless you want to homogenize the factions and make them exact mirrors of each other, you have to accept the fact that the lion's share of the balance teams efforts has to remain on 1v1 and 2v2.

18 Sep 2014, 15:12 PM

i think the bigger games like 4vs4 and 3vs3 shows the strengths and weaknesses of each army more than 1vs1 and 2vs2, leaves you wondering...

perhaps they could assimilate the performance of the models in each army and equal the number of units in the squads of Germans
18 Sep 2014, 15:17 PM

I feel that the USSR and Ostheer are in a decent place in 4v4 (except Soviet tier structure and call-ins but that's another story). I think once you bring OKW into the equation, it wrecks the balance apart.

OKW can quickly lockdown an important sector with the Flaktruck and create a shorter retreat point that heals at the medtruck. Now that their early game has been buffed, I see them as a pretty OP faction in 4v4. They have units that are perfect for the lategame. These units are also very strong and pretty good in the early game as well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★