Login

russian armor

Soviet Commander Evaluation

5 Sep 2014, 05:18 AM

Glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems using penals againts OKW.

And yes their vet is great, but sadly, by the time you reach vet3 with them, they'll probably have lost half of their weapons. :(
5 Sep 2014, 08:04 AM

For an army that supposedly relies on its doctrines, its amazing how bad some Soviet doctrines are...
5 Sep 2014, 09:26 AM

For an army that supposedly relies on its doctrines, its amazing how bad some Soviet doctrines are...

These doctrines are useless due to the proliferation of superheavy tanks. If soviets could hold their ground only with non-doctrinal tanks most of these commanders would be really great.
Sadly, you can't do shit with T34/76 or SU85. (You can't even combine both :()

You are forced to have ISU152, IS2 or T34/85 in your army if you want to win.
5 Sep 2014, 13:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Sep 2014, 09:26 AMGreeb

These doctrines are useless due to the proliferation of superheavy tanks. If soviets could hold their ground only with non-doctrinal tanks most of these commanders would be really great.

So True, unless you can win early or midgame using your basic troops and T34+ SU85. It is too bad that you are forced to use your heavy call-ins in the late game if you want to win. There is always a "Shoot when do I have enough resources to call in this heavy tank!!!!" mentality.
5 Sep 2014, 15:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Sep 2014, 09:26 AMGreeb

Indeed, if all doctrinal tanks were forbidden then doctrines such as terror and the like would be very strong.

Soviets need a massive redesign, I forlornly hold out for this campaign thats coming to all bring along some significant changes...
8 Sep 2014, 12:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Something else which occurs to me and might as well go here

Despite all the overlap there is not:

Anyway to get IS2s or KV8s in a Guards Doctrine

Anyway to get 34/85s in a Shock Doctrine
8 Sep 2014, 15:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Sep 2014, 05:18 AMGreeb
Glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems using penals againts OKW.

And yes their vet is great, but sadly, by the time you reach vet3 with them, they'll probably have lost half of their weapons. :(

Penals just seem awful against OKW. They hold their own early, but as soon as vet becomes a thing and Obers start appearing, they drop like flies.

Also, I think Guards are much better than Shocks - but that's just me. I generally find it too difficult to get shocks in close against Obers without losing half the squad in the process, while vetted Guards are actually surprisingly effective against OKW inf with double DPs (and they seem to vet up relatively quickly).
8 Sep 2014, 16:01 PM
Patrion 14

Anyway to get 34/85s in a Shock Doctrine

Would pay for that. Love T34/85's, love shocks. Would own the living crap out of OKW. Closest I get is advanced warfare PPSh dudes.

I disagree strongly with this list. I think that anything that isn't, as mentioned, a doctrine with call-in tanks (to help the awful soviet tech tree) is garbage. This means that:
Lend-lease
Mechanized Support
Advanced Warfare
Guards Motor Coord
are all incredible doctrines, more than anything that doesn't have a call-in. Lend-lease and AW suffer the most from weakening conscripts, but Mechanized has the guards plus abilities like mark target and bombing run. It is literally the shit.

Right now, Mechanized support is clearly the best team doctrine (and perhaps best overall) especially with bombing run as a munispender, and Shock whatever (IS2/KV8) being a close second. Only Counterattack comes close, due to the power of the B4.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★