Login

russian armor

So I want to love Red Orchestra 2 ...

3 Sep 2014, 18:30 PM

It's exactly what I want an FPS to be like, but be careful what you wish for, I guess: this game is challenging. I expected it to be hard, but damn, I can't do anything. I did the tutorial to learn the weapon basics and the controls so that's all well and good, but I'm a liability to whatever team I'm on and I don't see any other way to learn it. Playing more MP matches I'd eventually get it suppose, but I feel bad because I mess stuff up and it's a large team game, so ...

I didn't buy the campaign. Maybe I should get that and play it awhile to practice?

Or should I find some way to play against bots for awhile?

4 Sep 2014, 00:14 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Neither, to do well in the game you need to have co-ordination in your squad/team. The campaign is shit, it's not worth playing. Look on the forums for some guides, especially for squad structure. I suggest you make some friends to play with you or join a clan, otherwise you are missing out on where the game shines, squad based tactics.
4 Sep 2014, 03:38 AM
Honorary Member Badge

you should have played the first game. :)
4 Sep 2014, 05:30 AM

What you having trouble with?
6 Sep 2014, 13:53 PM

Red Orchestra 2 is quite simple actually. You just have to keep playing online and watching documentaries on infantry tactics will help you. Also, focus on surviving instead of killing.

Imagine in your head what would happen if you ran across that street.
Is the street being watched by a sniper? Is there a friendly watching that street? etc etc

You ought to see what happened to me that day. I was surviving for like 12 minutes straight and got killed by my teammate for holding an SVT (I was German)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0a_QGifPM
About German Infantry tactics from the O.S.S
6 Sep 2014, 14:02 PM

stick to rifleman for the first hours until you know the important points on the map and how to play them. Otherwise the team will get really mad because you are blocking the important weapons.
I found Rising Storm more accessible for new players, maybe play this first and than switch to Red Orchestra.
6 Sep 2014, 15:02 PM
Donator 11

once you learn it, it is a great game, only thing missing, is people.
6 Sep 2014, 21:18 PM

They are adding the MG42, T70 and PzIII to RO2! check the beta you can already play it
6 Sep 2014, 23:27 PM
Donator 11

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is just play as rifleman for a while to learn how the game really works. There's so many specific spots, lanes and tricks to learn as well as knowing just about every corner of a map. It's very important to this game. Playing as rifleman should also improve on your aim. Lastly, don't rely on the cover system too much. It's cool and all but really I find that most of the time it just gets new players killed.
10 Sep 2014, 21:35 PM

my understanding of it is that largely only the diehard fans still play it. Which is why ive opted to not buy it. I dont want to spend money just to go in and be someones target practice.
11 Sep 2014, 06:24 AM

my understanding of it is that largely only the diehard fans still play it. Which is why ive opted to not buy it. I dont want to spend money just to go in and be someones target practice.
But once you learn the game you can start feeling like a real WW2 soldier because of how realistic the game is in realism mode. When I play, I set a challenge for myself: Don't die because of silly mistakes like running across an unsafe street or run into a room before the grenade thrown inside explodes.
11 Sep 2014, 13:37 PM

Red Orchestra is an outstanding and very atmospheric game if you have a bit of patience...the latter point is important as the game has a steep learning curve and you might need to rid yourself of bad habits acquired in other shooters.
12 Sep 2014, 01:18 AM

Red Orchestra 2 is one of my favorite shooters because it simulates what an actual war would be like: scary as shit. It really makes you fearful to run across the street because you never know if someone will one-shot you as you sprint. I'm telling you, don't worry too much about your performance. Most times, the servers are so big nobody is going to yell at you if you do poorly. I've had plenty of bad games but I've never been chewed out.

Only bad thing is, and it's even worse in this game than others, if the teams are stacked and you're on the losing team, prepare to have no fun at all. It's really bad because you just can't go anywhere because your teammates aren't covering any of the major points on the map.

I'd encourage anybody to try it out for a while though. I actually hated it at first, but after a couple hours, it really grew on me because there's nothing else like it. WW2 history buffs will love it because it nails the atmosphere so well. Like others have said, just focus on not dying rather than getting kills.
16 Sep 2014, 05:05 AM

Been playing some more, and it's definitely way better now. I'm focusing more on survival and less on killing. I also found some people to play it with.

16 Sep 2014, 07:38 AM

Been playing some more, and it's definitely way better now. I'm focusing more on survival and less on killing. I also found some people to play it with.

Good, remember to stick with those guys for as long as you can. GL :)
16 Sep 2014, 11:43 AM

WW2 themed rifle games are generally fairly boring camp-fests where you either have to sit in the same spot (or push incredibly slowly) to get kills because of the fact everyone has longrange, one-hit-kill weapons or you buy an SMG, get 20 kills to 1 death consistantly and get called an OP-abusing n00b.
16 Sep 2014, 22:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 11:43 AMAlbus
WW2 themed rifle games are generally fairly boring camp-fests where you either have to sit in the same spot (or push incredibly slowly) to get kills because of the fact everyone has longrange, one-hit-kill weapons or you buy an SMG, get 20 kills to 1 death consistantly and get called an OP-abusing n00b.
I guess it depends on the player. If he like realistic games then RO2 will be fun for him because it's fairly realistic. As someone said(I think TWI said it), RO2 was meant to be a bridge between games like ARMA and COD,BF etc. While if he likes action, then RO2 will be very boring and might be like you ; considers WW2 themed rifle games as boring campfest where you sit in the same spot or get an SMG and get call an OP abusing noob(no offense intended to Albus).

Personally, I find RO2 to be a fun game. I don't camp in one place and do my best to advance into the enemy(which is strange considering I'm the MG34 gunner in the squad B-).
17 Sep 2014, 11:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 22:36 PMsteel
in the same spot or get an SMG and get call an OP abusing noob(no offense intended to Albus).

Hey now, I don't mind being called an OP abusing n00b D: Blame the dev company for introducing OP shit into the game, not the players for abusing it.

At lower/n00b levels, RO2 is basically a duck-shoot for anyone with decent game-sense and aim. At higher levels though, that's when the mind-numbingly boring camp-fests kick in because everyone realises everyone else has long range one-hit-kill weapons on stock. The only thing which can push is SMGs, and they push faaaaaaaar too well although this is more of a general statement to all WW2 shooters (i.e Heroes and Generals).
20 Sep 2014, 03:50 AM

Huh. I did notice that I could get a lot more done with an SMG than with any of the bolt rifles.

What's the deal with machine guns? I find that it's pretty easy to snipe the gunner/get sniped if you are the gunner, and that the rifles have so much long range killing potential that the suppression from the MG is not really needed.
20 Sep 2014, 04:03 AM

Huh. I did notice that I could get a lot more done with an SMG than with any of the bolt rifles.

What's the deal with machine guns? I find that it's pretty easy to snipe the gunner/get sniped if you are the gunner, and that the rifles have so much long range killing potential that the suppression from the MG is not really needed.
Rifle DPS too high at long range compared to LMG. :snfCHVGame:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS