Login

russian armor

So I played CoH2 again...

2 Sep 2014, 15:50 PM

Permanently Banned
Im always surprised that people complain about the game's performance so much.

I bought a new computer with the intent to play the newest video games for the regular price when CoH2 came out and never had big issues with the performance at highest settings.

Granted: After WFA was released I had to reduce my Anti Aliasing settings to low, something that I barely notice because im using an AA injector anyway, so I can understand if AA needs some finetuning. But im really surprised that so many people seem to have so huge issues with the games performance

2 Sep 2014, 15:52 PM
Patrion 15

Relic is splitting their limited resources between the single player fan base, and getting the game to an acceptable level of esports quality. There is still a HUGE list of bugs plaguing the game (hah), many players are still experiencing unexplained game freezes. Promoting COH2 as an esport is a huge opportunity for Relic, IF they don't blow it.
2 Sep 2014, 15:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

performs fine for me.
2 Sep 2014, 17:28 PM

Performance really need some work. I am lucky enough that on my PC it runs well even on maxed settings but many friends from steam have problems and I really dont think game looks that nice it should have such HW requirements. Some effects are actually better in vCoH which is kinda shame.
2 Sep 2014, 17:30 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2014, 15:52 PMRomeo
performs fine for me.

"Fine" is entirely subjective, and doesn't really bring anything to the conversation, unless, of course, you define what "fine" means to you :)

I'm talking about playing on the absolute minimum settings that the game offers with a rig that can easily handle 99% of games on the market right now and getting sub-60FPS during stretches of heavy action. In my experience, it is extremely frustrating to play any game in a competitive manner when you're running at less than 60FPS; I personally find I stop noticing a difference at 70+FPS, but I'm using 60 as a benchmark because it's more widely considered the ideal framerate for smooth gameplay. Anything below 60FPS (again, in my experience) is noticeably choppy when you perform rapid movements such as camera panning and quickly issuing commands to multiple units in a short period of time.

Of course, different players have different views on what acceptable framerates are. My post is based on my belief that being unable to maintain 60+FPS throughout the course of a game results in a frustrating gameplay experience. My rig can handle that self-imposed requirement in every other game I play, including playing games that look subjectively better to me than CoH2 does at minimum settings while retaining higher framerates. That is the focus of my complaint.
2 Sep 2014, 17:37 PM

I personally find I stop noticing a difference at 70+FPS, but I'm using 60 as a benchmark because it's more widely considered the ideal framerate for smooth gameplay.

Unless you have display with refresh rate bigger then 60Hz you cannot notice difference in 60+ FPS since your dispaly will only show you 60. Maybe you ment that if you have better FPS in big battles there will be not that bad FPS spikes.
2 Sep 2014, 17:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2014, 15:52 PMRomeo
performs fine for me.

Seriously, if you're going to comment in a thread try to be at least a BIT constructive.
Better don't reply.
2 Sep 2014, 17:41 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2014, 17:37 PMMettiu

Unless you have display with refresh rate bigger then 60Hz you cannot notice difference in 60+ FPS since your dispaly will only show you 60. Maybe you ment that if you have better FPS in big battles there will be not that bad FPS spikes.

You can notice a difference in the sense that screen transitions are a lot smoother. Things like panning and scrolling the screen, repositioning the screen, and issuing commands are all smoother when you have a higher framerate. It's not about how the game looks but rather how it feels. Framerates over 60FPS do not improve the look of the game unless, as you said, you have a monitor that supports a higher refresh rate, but they drastically improve how the game feels and controls.
2 Sep 2014, 17:43 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

What inverse said, im having more issues after WFA released. Before my game used to crash very randomly, the crashes have stopped, but my fps is quite bad. :S
2 Sep 2014, 18:03 PM

Yeah, the optimisation of this game is pretty awful.

You need a really top tier CPU (ivy bridge/haswell i5/i7) and super expensive display (at least GTX-780) getting the FPS closed to 60 constantly.
and
2 Sep 2014, 18:10 PM

These days a $250 graphics card should be more than sufficient for 60 fps @ max. It wasn't at CoH2 release though, those same cards cost around $500.

My main complaint is the multiplayer performance, namely command lag:

In online play CoH2 got nearly a 500ms command latency, at least the double of other RTS games (I get 250ms in SC2). Oh yeah, if you want a competitive game, this should be priority #1, hell.
2 Sep 2014, 18:22 PM

I play mostly in 4vs4 and the game is always between 50-60 fps with the specs posted above. So i would suggest not to exaggerate on the topic of performance as the game is really fine in that matter. If someone don't like the game, it's fine, but using performance issues as an excuse for not playing is not. I'm a computer engineer whose hobby is playing computer game since i was 12 years old and i'm now 47, so i may know something in the matter.

i played vcoh 7 years and yes that engine is lighter. But Coh2 is damn fine for competitive play on a middle rig as it is.

90% performance issues are from a computer not fully optimized. Maybe for games that are not as computer intensive as Coh2 it's wont be matter. Coh2 is one of the most demanding game on the market, it need a fully optimized computer to perform at it's best. ( Even for a new rig).

If anyone need help to optimize their computer, just page me. Ill gladly help.

I use Glary Utilities 5 to perform optimizations. (it's free and the best tool of the market) and i'm not advertising.

Hoping to help and this post is not intended to offense someone in any ways. (just telling the facts)

See you on the battlefield.
and
2 Sep 2014, 18:26 PM

Sorry man, a "windows optimizer" is not going to help people with low fps :-) The best thing people can do on the software side is update their graphics driver. CoH2 is just a pretty demanding game and requires a relatively new graphics card.
2 Sep 2014, 18:32 PM
Coder Red Badge

I play mostly in 4vs4 and the game is always between 50-60 fps with the specs posted above. So i would suggest not to exaggerate on the topic of performance as the game is really fine in that matter. If someone don't like the game, it's fine, but using performance issues as an excuse for not playing is not. I'm a computer engineer whose hobby is playing computer game since i was 12 years old and i'm now 47, so i may know something in the matter.

i played vcoh 7 years and yes that engine is lighter. But Coh2 is damn fine for competitive play on a middle rig as it is.

90% performance issues are from a computer not fully optimized. Maybe for games that are not as computer intensive as Coh2 it's wont be matter. Coh2 is one of the most demanding game on the market, it need a fully optimized computer to perform at it's best. ( Even for a new rig).

I use Glary Utilities 5 to perform optimizations. (it's free and the best tool of the market) and i'm not advertising.

Hoping to help and this post is not intended to offense someone in any ways. (just telling the facts)

Like I've mentioned above, acceptable framerates are entirely subjective. You find 50-60FPS acceptable; I find 60-70+FPS acceptable. I notice a significant difference between 50-60FPS and 60-70+FPS, and I find it very frustrating to play with, especially when I've neutered the visual experience and still can't maintain what I believe are acceptable framerates. That's why I posted this thread. In my opinion, the framerates I get make the game frustrating to play. If I'm alone in that opinion, then nothing needs to be done. But I think the response to this and other performance-related threads over the course of CoH2's lifespan make it clear that this isn't just a fringe issue.
2 Sep 2014, 18:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Sep 2014, 18:26 PMand
Sorry man, a "windows optimizer" is not going to help people with low fps :-) The best thing people can do on the software side is update their graphics driver. CoH2 is just a pretty demanding game and requires a relatively new graphics card.

Sorry, but getting better fps require a sum of small things.
thanks
2 Sep 2014, 18:37 PM

I'm not trying to attack you, but let me clear things up.

1)
So i would suggest not to exaggerate on the topic of performance as the game is really fine in that matter.

No. It is known by everyone and Relic that this game is not optimized well and doesn't perform as other games. There was a lot going on with THQ and the engine and that's why the game isn't well optimized.

2)
If someone don't like the game, it's fine, but using performance issues as an excuse for not playing is not.

Everyone has his reasons to not play the game.
It's not an excuse, it's a reason for not playing.

3)
I'm a computer engineer whose hobby is playing computer game since i was 12 years old and i'm now 47, so i may know something in the matter.

That's fine for you, but that doesn't make you the only expert here.
There are other people on this forum who are experts in optimization and PC's in general.

4)
Coh2 is damn fine for competitive play on a middle rig as it is.

I can assure you this game is not ready for serious $$ competitive play on any level. Not at this moment.

5)
just telling the facts

No sir you are not. You are giving your own opinion on the matter which is fine, but don't call it a fact.

2 Sep 2014, 18:39 PM
Donator 22

You posted a pic of your in game settings... which proves that yes your running the game on low... but you didn't post a pic of your actual FPS in game.. I'm sorry I just don't believe that a computer with those specs is running the game so well.. I am running the game on a AMD ATHLON II x4 Processor with 16 gigs of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 TI (250$ on the market) and the game runs very poorly on low settings... My point of this is I just dont see how your computer with those specs is running the game consistently at 50-60 fps...
2 Sep 2014, 18:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

"Fine" is entirely subjective, and doesn't really bring anything to the conversation, unless, of course, you define what "fine" means to you :)

Well, you can look at any of my videos to see my settings/framerate. That's my definition of 'fine'. Not great, could be better, but certainly playable. I'm not going to quit the game over it.
2 Sep 2014, 18:53 PM

wall of text

This must be coincidence.. I played CoH2 again last week, and I actually really enjoyed it. I really did not think this game would be changed in such a drastic way when I last played somewhere in August 2013. But I am really positively surprised.

One thing I am still really sad about is the horrible UI, though. It's insanely easy to fix, imo. Just take a look at CoH1 UI and there we go. It's maybe not perfect but a million times better than this.

Apart from that, I actually think I'll keep playing.

Also made a threat in modding section to see if it was possible to change it "manually".., sadly the answer is no.
2 Sep 2014, 18:54 PM

Like I've mentioned above, acceptable framerates are entirely subjective. You find 50-60FPS acceptable; I find 60-70+FPS acceptable. I notice a significant difference between 50-60FPS and 60-70+FPS, and I find it very frustrating to play with, especially when I've neutered the visual experience and still can't maintain what I believe are acceptable framerates. That's why I posted this thread. In my opinion, the framerates I get make the game frustrating to play. If I'm alone in that opinion, then nothing needs to be done. But I think the response to this and other performance-related threads over the course of CoH2's lifespan make it clear that this isn't just a fringe issue.

Let's say that having between 50-60 fps, one can have fun and perform great at this game.

Being a person of great influence on the Coh realm, you have a responsibility to be more objective then most. (Having great talents bring greater responsibilities.)

The magnitude of the performances issues are not enough to warrant the comments you have made. Coming from anybody else, i would'have care. Please, i beckon you to rectify your post. :)

I also think that you should take on the 1vs1 ladder and show how great you can be. It may take some time, but i'm pretty sure your place is at it's top !!!! No more excuses.

With you, it will bring the competition at a greater level and with it more player will play.

P.S. : I'm not related to Sega-Relic in any ways.
I'm just a coh2 player that want that game to grow and succeed.

Thank you.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 38
Germany 26
United States 22
unknown 44
Germany 34
Peru 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias