Login

russian armor

Game Speed

27 Mar 2013, 03:59 AM

Hey guys, first post.

I've always been a huge COH fan, but have recently converted to SC a bit. Through playing SC and, especially, coming to really enjoy the eSports side of it, I think a faster game is a more exciting game.
So I had the idea that COH should have a changeable game speed, like SC's normal, fast and faster. A faster game of COH would have a higher skill cap, shorter games overall, and more exciting games to watch.

Let me know what you guys think!
27 Mar 2013, 04:17 AM
Benefactor 115

Personally I don't find SC2 that exciting to watch, with the current game involving huge maps and macro wars.

CoH is a very cinematic game and the possibility for comebacks makes it a great game for viewers.

It might make the game shorter but I find CoH has great pacing with its constant engagements.

Give it a higher skill cap? there's no such thing as a skill cap, in any game.
27 Mar 2013, 04:55 AM

Yeah, and Checkers takes just as long to master as Chess.
27 Mar 2013, 05:43 AM
Benefactor 115

whatever game or sport you are partaking in you are always learning, always improving your game. So even though the rules of draughts are a lot more simpler than chess both games involve outwitting another human player and then you have a whole other bunch of skills that you need to develop outside of simply learning the rules of the game.

the term "skill cap" or "skill ceiling" is only used when talking about video games. Do you know why that is? it's just a bullshit term used to poorly legitimise their choice of game.

so what if the game is easy to play? do you have fun playing it and can you easily get people to play against? that's all that really matters and the quicker people can accept it the better.
27 Mar 2013, 06:39 AM
Donator 22

If you are above 30, you perceive game speed simply as a factor to shift balance in favor of the younger people.
getting older, you simply suck at speed :-)

27 Mar 2013, 09:10 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Of the millions of games of sc2 that have been played, has anyone ever changed the game speed? That seems to be an utterly useless feature.
27 Mar 2013, 09:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Personally I don't find SC2 that exciting to watch, with the current game involving huge maps and macro wars.

CoH is a very cinematic game and the possibility for comebacks makes it a great game for viewers.

It might make the game shorter but I find CoH has great pacing with its constant engagements.

skill cap i think its a legitimate terms that always finds a way to be used in a illegitimate way.
27 Mar 2013, 11:31 AM

I think its a part of CoH that you can become a very good player without the need to spam APM like in SC2.

And for SC2 the "normal" speed is "faster" and noone ever plays on another speed.
27 Mar 2013, 13:42 PM

I like the current pace of CoH; don't mess with sth that ain't broken.

The learning curve is hard enough, and it's proven by still developing metagame.
27 Mar 2013, 17:07 PM

Of the millions of games of sc2 that have been played, has anyone ever changed the game speed? That seems to be an utterly useless feature.

Nope, it is useless. Everybody plays on "Faster". But i think the point of this thread is if CoH2 should have the same speed as CoH or speed it up a bit. Personally I don't know what would be best, Imo in Sc2 it HAS to be on Faster, simply because you don't get units out as quickly, and the early game would be SO BORING. In CoH you get units within the first 2 minuts of gameplay, so I think it's fine like that.
27 Mar 2013, 17:42 PM

I very much dislike adjustable game speed. In every game it's available (well, that's pretty much only AoE, SupCom, and EE for me) you have normal people playing on normal and competitive playing on fastest.

That might make it sound like it's easier for casual players to get into the game, but it also creates a huge hurdle for those casual players to jump into the competitive scene. We don't want that.
28 Mar 2013, 09:22 AM

whatever game or sport you are partaking in you are always learning, always improving your game. So even though the rules of draughts are a lot more simpler than chess both games involve outwitting another human player and then you have a whole other bunch of skills that you need to develop outside of simply learning the rules of the game.

the term "skill cap" or "skill ceiling" is only used when talking about video games. Do you know why that is? it's just a bullshit term used to poorly legitimise their choice of game.

so what if the game is easy to play? do you have fun playing it and can you easily get people to play against? that's all that really matters and the quicker people can accept it the better.

Skills like perception of opponents demeanor, or knowing when to do something unexpected probably don't have a skill cap (for some people). However, doing something in an RTS such as group selecting units and telling them to do things has an arbitrary limit to how well it can be done. Not the decision making behind the move, but how good you can ultimately be while performing the physical actions necessary. Saying "skill cap isn't a real thing because you can always get better at something" is semantics. It's referencing the minimum mechanical requirement to perform all the tasks at the best possible speed.

As far as your conclusion re: "skill cap" only being used in reference to video games... Every word has its origins.

Don't get me wrong, I like CoH's pace. But it would be a really useful feature in custom games. If I want to try a build 5 times vs someone in a custom, it'd be nice to put it to x4 until the pio/engie battles starts.

28 Mar 2013, 09:49 AM
Benefactor 115

To win in RTS you still have to have good decision making, make good reads and outwit your opponent along with the executional requirements of unit control. What makes all the games out there different from one another is their emphasis on either the mind games or the execution.

If you prefer execution heavy then SC2 and SC:BW are there and then you have a game like CoH with very low execution requirements but still has a heavy element of mind games.

Ultimately you need to be good at both aspects to win in any game and I find people give too much value to the execution and often the neglect the important part of RTS the strategy part.
28 Mar 2013, 12:25 PM

If company of heroes was on fast like 2x or 4x it would be like benny hill in ww2 , no thnx . Also on starcraft skillcap i would say that fast gamepace and apm dependent gameplay actually reduces skillcap since it reduces the importance of decision making and strategical thinking which is what should determine the outcome of a strategy game . Time constraints should be there only to reward the one who thinks quicker and has more experience , not to reward fast reflexes or fast execution time . The winning factor should be outwiting not outclicking your opponent .
Raz
28 Mar 2013, 13:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2013, 12:25 PMkafrion
If company of heroes was on fast like 2x or 4x it would be like benny hill in ww2 , no thnx . Also on starcraft skillcap i would say that fast gamepace and apm dependent gameplay actually reduces skillcap since it reduces the importance of decision making and strategical thinking which is what should determine the outcome of a strategy game . Time constraints should be there only to reward the one who thinks quicker and has more experience , not to reward fast reflexes or fast execution time . The winning factor should be outwiting not outclicking your opponent .

Yeah, but you can't drive a formula one race if you are operating at sloth speeds no matter how sun tzu your strategy is.
28 Mar 2013, 20:35 PM

To win in RTS you still have to have good decision making, make good reads and outwit your opponent along with the executional requirements of unit control. What makes all the games out there different from one another is their emphasis on either the mind games or the execution.

If you prefer execution heavy then SC2 and SC:BW are there and then you have a game like CoH with very low execution requirements but still has a heavy element of mind games.

Ultimately you need to be good at both aspects to win in any game and I find people give too much value to the execution and often the neglect the important part of RTS the strategy part.

IDD, you should say the above instead of accusing people of using a made up word just because you don't like what people use the word to say.
28 Mar 2013, 20:50 PM
Benefactor 115

I'm not going to argue semantics but just leave it that I find the terms skill cap and skill ceiling stupid and they are just as terrible as "takes no skill to play."
29 Mar 2013, 14:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2013, 13:45 PMRaz

Yeah, but you can't drive a formula one race if you are operating at sloth speeds no matter how sun tzu your strategy is.

pretty sure Michael Schumacher or the rest of the reds never read the art of war and they were just fine MVGame

Also in motorsports you actually have an entire team to provide the physical and intellectual conditions you need to win , in strategy games you have one guy , heavy execution and mindgames simultaneously are a hindrance to each other

Strategy games are meant to be intellectual competitions first and foremost . Not clickfests .
Raz
30 Mar 2013, 09:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2013, 14:49 PMkafrion

pretty sure Michael Schumacher or the rest of the reds never read the art of war and they were just fine MVGame

Also in motorsports you actually have an entire team to provide the physical and intellectual conditions you need to win , in strategy games you have one guy , heavy execution and mindgames simultaneously are a hindrance to each other

Strategy games are meant to be intellectual competitions first and foremost . Not clickfests .

You seem to missed the point there :P

What I meant by sun tzu is not the knowledge of the exact copy but rather, the decision making ccording to situations and thinking ahead and adapting to the surroundings to win. You can have the best team around you in that car, but if you don't know when to push and when not to you will be far from the winning places.
30 Mar 2013, 12:59 PM

CoH is somewhat slow paced and it wouldn't hurt if the speed increases by a notch. After all, the level of strategic decision making becomes more interesting under greater time pressure. That doesn't necessarily mean the average decision will be better, but the number of decisions increases leading to a closer approximation of an optimal balance between the strategic component and the time component of the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 58
Korea, Republic Of 19
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak