Login

russian armor

The Big Control Conundrum

8 Jul 2014, 00:08 AM
Donator 11

Hello.

I have a rather basic question since I'm struggling with my controls of the game.

I find 2 features very important:

[1] Being able to scroll around the map with Keys. So you can quickly get an overview over the battlefield without having to move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. Standard keybinds for this are the arrow-keys.

[2] Using Grid-Hotkeys.

Now, I cant manage to combine these two features into a reasonable setup. I did re-bind WASD to be used as the arrow-keys, but then I dont have the Grid-Hotkeys anymore. So far its the better solution than screen-scrolling with the mouse while trying to move my bunch of pathfinding-retards around... avoiding a misclick becomes a game within the game...

...but I'm not the smartest guy around... so chances are high someone has a better solution? :)

cheers,
hanz
8 Jul 2014, 13:54 PM
8 Jul 2014, 14:14 PM
Donator 11

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Its not a technical problem but one of layout. I know how to rebind keys etc. but I dont know how to layout them to have both essential features mentioned above included in a useful way.

I re-phrase my question:

How do you guys layout your controls for camera and hotkeys?
8 Jul 2014, 14:39 PM

Middle mouse button for camera controls + grid keys has been the most effective method for me.
8 Jul 2014, 14:43 PM

I made this guide a week ago, its not terribly well made and the video is just me narrating what I wrote without any special visuals lol.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276815309

I use grid keys + WASD, with tac map bound to tilde (~). Honestly its a bad habbit that I use the WASD keys, and if you are a new player I recommend just using grid keys and rebinding tactical map closer to your QWERT, ASDF, ZXCV and trying to get used to that. Optimal method is you click minimap or double click in tac map if you wanna look at a spot not close to where you are currently looking at, rather than scrolling with mouse too much.

But I included 2 scripts, one with WASD + grid keys + tac map rebound, and one that just rebinds your tactical map.
8 Jul 2014, 14:48 PM

I'm using autohotkey to rebind the arrow keys to WASD, for controlling the camera. This however seems to interfere with the standard bindings that are already bound to WASD. S for stop, W for sandbags etc. So I've designed a script such that the default actions for WASD scroll the map but when I press LCtrl + W/A/S/D, it defaults to the normal operation of that key. It has honestly improved my game A LOT, just to be able to quickly maneuver the map without having to use the mouse. If you want, I can share this script with you.
8 Jul 2014, 14:56 PM

i actually use a 4way pedal which i operate with my feet...

no seriously i doubt there is a convenient way to arrange that. i thought about it, too, yet i need my left hand for the control groups and the ability buttons. i cant imagine also using the wsad key to navigate across the battlefield at the same time. id totally screw up things

but idf someone found an interesting solution to this, please let me know
8 Jul 2014, 15:46 PM
Donator 11

Middle mouse button for camera controls + grid keys has been the most effective method for me.

But then you have to move the mouse while hold middle mouse button down. Not really convenient.

I made this guide a week ago, its not terribly well made and the video is just me narrating what I wrote without any special visuals lol.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276815309

I use grid keys + WASD, with tac map bound to tilde (~). Honestly its a bad habbit that I use the WASD keys, and if you are a new player I recommend just using grid keys and rebinding tactical map closer to your QWERT, ASDF, ZXCV and trying to get used to that. Optimal method is you click minimap or double click in tac map if you wanna look at a spot not close to where you are currently looking at, rather than scrolling with mouse too much.

But I included 2 scripts, one with WASD + grid keys + tac map rebound, and one that just rebinds your tactical map.

I'm using this right now, as described in my initial post. Not solving the problem.

I'm using autohotkey to rebind the arrow keys to WASD, for controlling the camera. This however seems to interfere with the standard bindings that are already bound to WASD. S for stop, W for sandbags etc. So I've designed a script such that the default actions for WASD scroll the map but when I press LCtrl + W/A/S/D, it defaults to the normal operation of that key. It has honestly improved my game A LOT, just to be able to quickly maneuver the map without having to use the mouse. If you want, I can share this script with you.

I can see that work, but it takes some time getting used to pressing CTRL+Hotkey. Not really an "elegant solution". :)

i actually use a 4way pedal which i operate with my feet...

no seriously i doubt there is a convenient way to arrange that. i thought about it, too, yet i need my left hand for the control groups and the ability buttons. i cant imagine also using the wsad key to navigate across the battlefield at the same time. id totally screw up things

but idf someone found an interesting solution to this, please let me know

Love the 4way pedal! I will use it also for browsing... :)

How do the "Pros" handle that issue?
8 Jul 2014, 15:58 PM

Why can't you find 4 keys that are comfortable to hit that are displaced by WASD? You can shift the top row 1 key to the right, so the keys you use are QERT.

ASD will be displaced, you can rebind them to GBN respectively and leave F as it is. G can be hit by your index finger and BN by your thumb which sits on your spacebar just below. That's what my script is anyway. Uses the grid keys as a baseline and then just rebinds the displaced keys to keybinds close by. Rifle's solution is good though
8 Jul 2014, 16:03 PM

I can see that work, but it takes some time getting used to pressing CTRL+Hotkey. Not really an "elegant solution". :)

Believe me, I searched a lot, but this was the only reasonable solution I found. Getting used to Ctrl + Key isn't as daunting as you think; A couple of games and now it's second nature. Though do share if you find an elegant solution.
8 Jul 2014, 16:50 PM

You probably already know this, but you can also hold down the middle mouse button(scroll wheel) and drag the map around. I typically left click the mini map to get to the general area I'm concerned with and then middle mouse-drag to adjust. I never move the mouse to the edge to navigate, unless I'm already near the edge.

But then again, I kind of suck....So take this all with a grain of salt. Though I think my suckitude has more to do with my inability to multitask than with my map navigation.
8 Jul 2014, 16:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Wait

People move the camera around in game?
8 Jul 2014, 17:21 PM

I now this is not the Solution you are looking for, but I use the Mouse to click on the minimap, and for shorter distances I move my mouse to the boundarys of the Screen.

I honestly think it is the best solution. But on the other hand, in CoH its not really that imprtant, because you just occasinally use abiltiys, in contrast to a game like DotA/LoL where you always want your fingers on q w e r. So I guess everything works.

You can also play very good, without even using controllgroups, and instead clicking on abilitys :D
8 Jul 2014, 17:56 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2014, 16:03 PMKhan

Believe me, I searched a lot, but this was the only reasonable solution I found. Getting used to Ctrl + Key isn't as daunting as you think; A couple of games and now it's second nature. Though do share if you find an elegant solution.

I'd love to try it out, but unfortunately I don't seem to get the script working.

^a::a

..in Autohotkey does not work. How did you bind it?
8 Jul 2014, 20:44 PM

Hello.

I have a rather basic question since I'm struggling with my controls of the game.

I find 2 features very important:

[1] Being able to scroll around the map with Keys. So you can quickly get an overview over the battlefield without having to move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. Standard keybinds for this are the arrow-keys.

The tactical map could help you with that.
8 Jul 2014, 22:19 PM
Patrion 27

Using middle mouse to scroll involves minimal APM. also using autohotkey to set your Tactical Map to Tab or one of your mouse thumb buttons can help you navigate the battlefield with much more efficiency.
8 Jul 2014, 22:37 PM

I'd love to try it out, but unfortunately I don't seem to get the script working.

^a::a

..in Autohotkey does not work. How did you bind it?

Here is what I use:

Code
#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv
SetBatchLines, -1

sendMode, Input
return

#if !GetKeyState("LCtrl", "P") && WinActive("Company Of Heroes 2")
w::Up
a::Left
s::Down
d::Right
#if WinActive("Company Of Heroes 2")
*<^w::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}w{LCtrl Down}
*<^a::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}a{LCtrl Down}
*<^s::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}s{LCtrl Down}
*<^d::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}d{LCtrl Down}

RShift::Suspend

Pressing LCtrl + W/A/S/D will default your WASD keys to their normal functions.
Pressing RShift will suspend the script, this is useful when messaging teammates etc.
9 Jul 2014, 12:13 PM
Donator 11

The tactical map could help you with that.

No. Since I want to quickly and precisely react (cover move, nade throw, retreat, etc.) to the things happen and not strategically place my units on a map.

Using middle mouse to scroll involves minimal APM. also using autohotkey to set your Tactical Map to Tab or one of your mouse thumb buttons can help you navigate the battlefield with much more efficiency.

But the usage of MiddleMouse "freezes" the mouse for the time you move the screen, which reduces your potential APM to a high degree. Its also not really comfortable.

TacMap is whole other story as mentioned above.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2014, 22:37 PMKhan

Here is what I use:

Code
#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv
SetBatchLines, -1

sendMode, Input
return

#if !GetKeyState("LCtrl", "P") && WinActive("Company Of Heroes 2")
w::Up
a::Left
s::Down
d::Right
#if WinActive("Company Of Heroes 2")
*<^w::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}w{LCtrl Down}
*<^a::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}a{LCtrl Down}
*<^s::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}s{LCtrl Down}
*<^d::sendInput {Blind}{LCtrl Up}d{LCtrl Down}

RShift::Suspend

Pressing LCtrl + W/A/S/D will default your WASD keys to their normal functions.
Pressing RShift will suspend the script, this is useful when messaging teammates etc.

Thank you! I'll play this for a while now and give some feedback. But it actually felt pretty smooth in my first 1 minute try.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★