Login

russian armor

Map Hac- Er, I mean, Searchlight

30 Jun 2014, 11:29 AM

in these "few" games I had.. first time I made it by mistake instead of the Flak halftrack, and I was like "ou crap wtf am I gonna do with this" then when I realized it's potential, I can't do without it ;D
It's a very 'tactical' device, and I doubt it will ever be utilized by a large nr. of players, but it really can be almost essential if used properly. The biggest 'allure' of Elephant for me wasn't it's damage or even it's outrages range, but the ability to do fantastic ground spotting. I honestly believe Vampir HT will never be utilized enough successfully to be considered OP, but the non doctrinal access to such specialized unit could be debatable. I personally would give it even deeper range or what not, but would limit it to the "Special operations" doctrine for instance, where the device would complement nicely with the IR STG's and overall tech. advanced philosophy of the doctrine.
30 Jun 2014, 23:32 PM

To everyone who believes it to be overpowered:

I mean this not as a sarcastic challenge, but rather as a sincere inquiry: could you post a reply in which you use the IR half track in a way that demonstrates how it is too effective in its current implementation?

As it is, it's in the hands of a fuel starved faction with very few units to protect it, and it has zero combat capabilities. You don't need to micro the half track itself, but you do have to micro the units you use in conjunction with it. On the other hand, I understand the concerns about it.

I'd try it myself but I'm not good enough at OKW for that to be a good test.

30 Jun 2014, 23:44 PM

Guys... you do realize your ranged units dont react to units it "sees". Howitzers and mortars wont autofire at units in its sight, and ranged AT tanks wont do anything either. Its just a skimpy halftrack that barely anyone uses, lol. Its best used in expert AI games to counter the AI's own natural maphack. But seriously, how often do you see it used? I dont even use it as OKW has so much better units to scout using real LoS.
Hux
30 Jun 2014, 23:51 PM
Patrion 14

What happens if you vet that sucker? (I.e with TACommander)
30 Jun 2014, 23:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 23:51 PMHux

Nothing. Just nothing. It has no vet, like the 250 transport Halftrack. The Sturm Offizier also cant vet.
1 Jul 2014, 00:19 AM

In team games it's extremely powerful. Even if it's just 2v2. Get one of those and two of those infantry guns (which seem to have no cooldown on their barrage abilities) and you have basically won any game.

1 Jul 2014, 03:47 AM
Donator 11

We're not allowed to criticize the design and functionality of single units because the faction as a whole has a weaker income system? Frankly that's ridiculous. I'll say it again... this unit kills the True Signt system completely and requires zero micro to do so. That's no fun to watch, no fun to micro (because you don't micro it) and no fun to play against. I'm not saying "remove it from the game", I'm just saying it should be made a little more micro intensive and a little less robotic.

Then why even have less income than other factions if the units cant be better than other factions units? How is it fair that one faction recieves a lot less income but doesnt have better units?

This unit will be good for average players but as the top players continue to improve there wont be need of spending fuel to help them understand the game. When top players are at their peak they will have all the information they need to dominate By simply reading the game. Having it on screen will be helpful but not helpful enough to spend fuel on, anyway thats my prediction.
1 Jul 2014, 06:50 AM

Dunno how strong it is in 1v1... usefulness seems to scale up in bigger modes (OP in big teamgames). But I'm not a fan of any of these map-hackish abilities (like radio intercept) that don't require any micro.

In 1v1 we dont use the IR, we use the Veterancy 1 ability on the Kübelwagen which acts like exactly the same thing. (You can see what unit it is, and any weapons it has on the tactical map)
8 Jan 2015, 00:20 AM

came here because i couldnt believe this thread existed :O
number of IR HTs seen in high level competitive games (as of january, 8th, 2015):
0 (read ZERO or NONE)
8 Jan 2015, 01:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Dunno how strong it is in 1v1... usefulness seems to scale up in bigger modes (OP in big teamgames). But I'm not a fan of any of these map-hackish abilities (like radio intercept) that don't require any micro.

I would beg to differ.

In small games (like 1v1 and 2v2) it will no doubt reveal a fair proportion of the map.

However that won't scale up on larger maps; and in a larger game you'll be more likely to have someone with actual real recon.

I hardly ever see the thing in 4v4s and if I do I'm often really happy

8 Jan 2015, 02:01 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

came here because i couldnt believe this thread existed :O
number of IR HTs seen in high level competitive games (as of january, 8th, 2015):
0 (read ZERO or NONE)

Didn't Barton used it on a game vs Korean Army ?
8 Jan 2015, 02:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 23:51 PMHux

as far as i know the search light turns into a laser on vet 5

but apart from that i see no problem with this unit.... mainly because hardly anyone is using it
8 Jan 2015, 02:47 AM

I don't see it being that much useful. Personally I see it more of a liability than a useful addition to your Army. I always end up near popcap when playing OKW and I need my popcap on other things since every OKW unit except volks takes up a lot of my population I don't have room for the IR.

The times when I do see it being used by the enemy I always see their tanks crash into the IR and struggle to get around when it's running away. Oh well, my experience.
8 Jan 2015, 02:54 AM

What if they gave this unit the ability to reinforce nearby infantry? Like a normal half-track, given that it costs a fair amount of fuel and has close to zero combat power.
8 Jan 2015, 03:24 AM

Didn't Barton used it on a game vs Korean Army ?

i stand corrected, then :D
8 Jan 2015, 03:36 AM
Patrion 28

the thing scans slow enough that it's not great for defending against flanks either. it's basically a sighting device to let your liegs barrage FHQs and fighting positions. it's annoying when you have those but it's bad the rest of the time. any damage also seems to knock the light out, although that's not a huge issue with OKW's repair time.
8 Jan 2015, 09:45 AM

I meant - restricted in range as in should have a smaller range.

...and become completely useless :D. Not as if it would be used much these days, but we complained about all OKW units and this is the only one left :P. Hehe.
8 Jan 2015, 10:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2015, 02:29 AMDeesis
As far as i know the search light turns into a laser on vet 5 [...]

:lolol:

Honestly, who will throw away 200 MP and 25 Fuel? It´s useless.
8 Jan 2015, 10:28 AM

I haven't found any practical use for this unit despite I tried.
Very costly and rather gimmicky. Maybe in large team games?
It doesn't even synergie well with ISG.
8 Jan 2015, 10:45 AM

It works together with a Sturmtiger. Shoot the Sturmtiger before the enemy sees it, while you know perfectly where the blob is moving.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★