Positive thoughts on DLC

Do you want to see more DLC in future?
Option Distribution Votes
85%
15%
Total votes: 27
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
26 Jun 2014, 10:48 AM

A lot of people complain about DLC because it costs money and partly because it can cause disbalance (Tiger Ace, Sov industry). If a DLC commander is causing disbalance, then it needs to be nerfed. If a DLC commander is too weak, it needs to be buffed. It might be tempting for a games designer to create powerful DLC to boost sales then nerf it later. I think if the comunity was less hostile to the idea of DLC, they wouldn't have to do so.

Anyway, not all DLC commanders cause disbalance. It's these commanders I'm going to talk about.

Reasons why microtransaction Commander DLC is great:

1. Instead of waiting a long time for a full expansion, you can add new commanders over time which offer a more varied gameplay experience.

2. Instead of having to pay full price for the full expansion (up to 10 pieces of DLC in a bundle), you can cherry-pick small piece of DLC and not pay for ones you don't want. Compare this to cable TV companies who make you buy the Opera Winfrey channel when you really just wanted Sky Sports.

3. This is a way to keep Relic in business. After all, if they go bust / Sega drop them = no more CoH2. The company is still paying overheads, they need a form of income.

4. Adressing the idea of "We already paid!" - yes, we paid for the vanilla version and got the vanilla version. If we want to expand that version, Relic has to work to make new items, which means they have to spend money, which means they have to get money and since we are the beneficiaries of their work - we can expect to be asked to pay if we want more.

I'm very much on Relic's side when it comes to buyable DLC.

On the other hand, I'd rather have balance fixes than new DLC. M3, ISU, sov-mines, etc. That could all have been fixed quickly and the community was screaming for it.
26 Jun 2014, 11:13 AM
Patrion 14

Theater of War desperately needs finishing - 1944 and 1945, plus some of the huge tank battles of the early war are desperate to be featured. The Tiger Ace mission in Case Blue was fantastic, and the scenarios have also always been really enjoyable too.

I'd prefer not to see any more commanders, but I can understand if they wish to implement them assuming they are properly balanced this time around.

But yeah, goddamnit finish ToW. Best part of COH2 IMO been mostly ignored and crippled by high price...
26 Jun 2014, 13:01 PM

No more payd DLC Commanders, anything else is OK.
Oh and TOW missions should not cost that much if not nothing.
26 Jun 2014, 13:11 PM

As long as it is balanced, please add more stuff.
But maybe a price change should be considered, 4 bucks for a single commander is too much imo. But there are Steam Sales every now and then, so....
26 Jun 2014, 13:32 PM

Nice point of view, Bulgakov.

I think they are making their job to give us what we want. Or, at last, what they belive we want. If people keep buying, the game will be there for us for a long time. And they will keep making more stuff.

We don't need to buy anything to keep playing. It's optional.
26 Jun 2014, 13:42 PM

No more payd DLC Commanders, anything else is OK.
Oh and TOW missions should not cost that much if not nothing.

Self entitlement much?
26 Jun 2014, 13:43 PM

Im fine with buyable commanders as long as they are properly balanced.
26 Jun 2014, 16:12 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I'm fine with them if it is practical to get them from the war spoils system, where people would buy to save them time.
26 Jun 2014, 18:21 PM

Single Player DLC? Yes

Expansion packs with new content(Like WFA)? Yes

DLC Commanders? No

The whole qualification of "If DLC Commanders are balanced, it's fine", is really just pointless. They wont be balanced. Relic's games are rarely balanced. If you're pumping out DLC, it definitely wont be balanced. And if it's balanced tomorrow, it'll become unbalanced the day after when new content is added.

And that's just talking on a mechanical level. The whole idea of paying for extra options is not balanced. If someone can do more things than you can because he paid more, it isn't balanced.

The Spoils of War system is by far the best way they could have done this. I get that people are annoyed that the cash they spent seems wasted, I also paid money, but tbfh we had a lot of time to use most of the content and now it's time for a fairer system to come along.

This discussion would not be happening had the option of buying/selling commanders as DLC never arisen in the first place.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★