Login

russian armor

General World War 2 Discussion Thread

PAGES (14)down
23 Oct 2015, 06:54 AM

The first print run of the new kursk book is open for reservations.

Estimated retail: $195 USD, 1700 pages long.

http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=253516

I am $241 ($170 for book and rest shipping) poorer but now expecting a nice old brick to arrive sometime in November.

I do like books that double as dumbbells. :P
26 Oct 2015, 03:57 AM

^
Ah, there goes your couch. The book is 13 pounds- that's a big shipping fee.

I would also recommend Zhitomir-Berdichev. It's very COH2-era ish.

The Armored Campaign in Normandy (Napier) is a good compilation of all major armored actions in one book. I wish it was more detailed, though.

I read Tomb of the PzWaffe- it was pretty good but too short of details.
26 Oct 2015, 23:30 PM

^
Ah, there goes your couch. The book is 13 pounds- that's a big shipping fee.

I would also recommend Zhitomir-Berdichev. It's very COH2-era ish.

The Armored Campaign in Normandy (Napier) is a good compilation of all major armored actions in one book. I wish it was more detailed, though.

I read Tomb of the PzWaffe- it was pretty good but too short of details.

STOP TRYING TO DESTROY MY FINANCES!!!!! :P
13 Nov 2015, 17:39 PM

^
Ping

It has arrived!

I didn't buy a book this is a small furniture! Getting to start reading properly this weekend but skimmed through some of it.
What sticks out are the modern pictures taken on-site in the battle areas. It really helps to understand the narritive when you get a picture of such detailed things as "Road to Solomino looking from the eastern banks of the Donets river"
Having the actual original aerial photographs that were used also helps immensely to really get a picture of what was going on.

All the daily reports on the individual actions and available manpower of different units both Soviet and German are very interesting to go through.
The following is taken from it:

So damn if you need to reference an engagement on the southern sector of the Kursk battle this is the go-to place.

10/10 would buy again, couch will be built from more books.
13 Nov 2015, 17:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I admire your devotion but

($170 for book and rest shipping)

Could you not borrow this from a public library?
13 Nov 2015, 18:21 PM

Well there are a few things that count against that.

1) In my city you can only borrow a book for 1 month before returning it. This for me would be too short for a 1600+ page tome.
2) The book is in English witch makes it less likely to be or be ordered by a library in Sweden.
3) The first edition being sort of limited means it is more likely that the library will first order in a copy when the final copy that is divided into three books have been through a translator, meaning I would not be able to borrow it for perhaps several years.
4) Owning the book means I can get it out of my bookshelf whenever I find myself in need to look something up.
So either get it now or wait god knows how long to borrow it. And Im also willing to pay money for these types of things. Some people spend their income on guns, some on toys, some on beauty products and I choose to spend it on books and alcohol :P
13 Nov 2015, 19:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Well there are a few things that count against that.

1) In my city you can only borrow a book for 1 month before returning it. This for me would be too short for a 1600+ page tome.
2) The book is in English witch makes it less likely to be or be ordered by a library in Sweden.
3) The first edition being sort of limited means it is more likely that the library will first order in a copy when the final copy that is divided into three books have been through a translator, meaning I would not be able to borrow it for perhaps several years.
4) Owning the book means I can get it out of my bookshelf whenever I find myself in need to look something up.
So either get it now or wait god knows how long to borrow it. And Im also willing to pay money for these types of things. Some people spend their income on guns, some on toys, some on beauty products and I choose to spend it on books and alcohol :P

You made the case! ;)
20 Nov 2015, 01:45 AM

What is this "Library" you speak of?
Is it where the ancients gathered their knowledge?
PAGES (14)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS