Login

russian armor

Performance Gap Between Cons and Grens too large Late Game?

Do Conscripts Require a Non-doctrinal Weapon Upgrade?
Option Distribution Votes
33%
67%
Total votes: 54
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
27 Apr 2014, 23:37 PM

Just in case the title is too long:

Performance Gap Between Cons and Grens too large Late Game?

Before I truly begin, I just wish to say that I'm not great at the game, I would like to consider myself a competent player, but I don't believe I possess a deep enough understanding of the game to confidently and accurately render judgement on the game and its unit performances like the rest of you guys.

With that being said, I believe a broken clock can be right twice a day!

With that out of the way, I just want to say overall, Conscripts are great! From early on, to midgame you can safely rely on them to get the job done.

You have to close in to win your engagements--which is fine--until you reach the late game.

This is when both sides have an abundant amount of munitions, only, if you picked the wrong commander when playing Soviets (as I'm really enjoying the lend lease commander), compared to your German counterpart, you don't have the luxury of spending it on the back-bone of your army.

And this is where the performance gap becomes noticeable, because vetted Grens who are equipped with LMGs become even more potent at long range. This long range potency enables them to stay at range, forcing me to close in. By the time I've reached the Grens at a considerable range I've likely lost 1-2 men, which leaves the Germans in a safe position.

It gets to a point where I feel as if he sends one unit of Grens, I have to call it and reply with 2 units of cons. Where he sends 2 units, I feel like I have to send in 3. It's a game of numbers, and one I'm likely not to win.

I was able to preserve my conscripts to vet 3 too, it's just that by that time, they begin to feel like a third wheel. Not strong enough to lead attacks against their German counterparts. Which makes me wish I had invested in elite troops like Shocks.

I'm not asking for a weapon which counters the German's range advantage, I just want my Conscripts to be able to hit harder at close range when they close in. The only problem is, I don't want to be forced into choosing a commander solely for the intent of keeping my Conscripts viable.

The Germans possess the liberty of not having to compromise their commander choice for their Grenadiers. I think it's only fair if the Russians could say the same.

Like I said, I'm not going to pretend I know more about the game than you guys do. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Edit: I've just realised that it sounds like I am using nothing but Conscripts -- I use other units too, believe it or not. But I am focusing on the cases where I don't have the MG covering me, or I don't have the vehicle backing me up.
27 Apr 2014, 23:50 PM

Early game cons are fine engagements between them and grens are 50/50 imo, but late game cons are pretty mediocre at best.
28 Apr 2014, 00:04 AM

Its fine. By late game you either use elite infantry with con support or doctrine with ppsh.

It might seem as they are bad late game because of how crazy good G43 and LMGs are.
28 Apr 2014, 00:17 AM

+ you got a lot of ways to obliterate infantry as Soviet anyway. Closing the late game gap would be catastrophic to balance.
28 Apr 2014, 00:42 AM

Yeah I think a weapon upgrade that requires tier 3 OR tier 4 would be great for late game cons... but I dont know what... PPSH? nope already doctrinal, SVT40? nope penals, AT rifles or DP28 lmgs? nope guards...

What about an munition upgrade that changes a model of the squad for a squad leader which buffs the squads in some way?
Neo
28 Apr 2014, 00:58 AM

What gap?
28 Apr 2014, 02:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

If the question is:
Do they need them? I would say no. Not for the moment.

Should we ever try to give them a non doctrinal weapon upgrade to make the game have more strategic options? Sure.

28 Apr 2014, 02:48 AM

how about svt40 upgrade? :D
28 Apr 2014, 09:20 AM

No, Cons are good in late game as utility unit. Capping, reinforcing support weapons, AT nade (guarding Su85's flank for example)

They are not meant to be blobbed and fighting it out vs grens or PGrens. You got shocks if you want to go down that avenue.

Plenty of options to fight vs German inf late game
28 Apr 2014, 09:25 AM

the problem is

that grens win long range, but con's dont necessarily win close range

(it's determined by RNG)

so just make them beat grens close range 100% of the time and you have a balanced unit

like volks and rifles in coh1
Phy
28 Apr 2014, 13:51 PM

As greens can be upgraded with non-doctrinal weapon, should be also conscripts. In late game they're nearly useless -only capping, reinforcing and damaging engines-.
28 Apr 2014, 13:54 PM

From a balance point of view a non-doctrinal weapon upgrade would be unnecesary since the red army already has plenty of cost effective means to deal with hostile infantry late in the game. We must also remember what's unseen, upgrading grenadiers with better firepower means less mines, bunkers and panzerschrecks built.

The red army can give penal battalions flamethrowers to beat panzergrenadiers and engineers can put two mines for 60 munitions. The precision strike for red army mortars is good against 4 man squads. Both sides can turn the tide of an engagement by spending munitions points so I don't see any balance issues with grenadiers having firepower upgrades.
28 Apr 2014, 13:54 PM

I voted no. I like the current the disparity between the two factions regarding infantry mechanics.
28 Apr 2014, 15:00 PM

They already have molotovs and at nades for upgrades.
Neo
28 Apr 2014, 15:13 PM

Conscripts have a big close range advantage vs. grens at short range in that they do more damage and also they can kill models/force LMG grens to move with molotovs.

Grens have long range advantage.

It works, finally. Leave it be.
28 Apr 2014, 15:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2014, 09:25 AMbuckers
the problem is

that grens win long range, but con's dont necessarily win close range

(it's determined by RNG)

so just make them beat grens close range 100% of the time and you have a balanced unit

like volks and rifles in coh1
Volks were your early game only inf until you got to grenadiers. If you make cons win every close range battle 100 percent of the time all anyone has to do is get close. With oorah, how would you even be able to stay on the field with your mainline infantry.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★