Login

russian armor

Am I in cover or not?

25 Apr 2014, 14:12 PM

I find it hard to know if my units are in cover or not. As I understand it the symbol for cover will show if some of the models in the squad stand beside cover (correct me if im wrong!).

1 But if I get flanked they will not benefit from the cover but the coversymbol will show anyway.
2 As soviets some of the guys tend to stand beside the cover when the cover is to small. But the symbol for cover will show anyway.

Wouldnt it be better if the symbol for cover would be shown only when the whole unit are in cover and the cover face the right direction?

25 Apr 2014, 14:18 PM

Wouldnt it be better if the symbol for cover would be shown only when the whole unit are in cover and the cover face the right direction?

It's not that hard to understand what is the right direction of cover.

But for your point 2, I think relic has to improve somehow the squad behaviour. If you manually ask your squad to stand behind cover, make the whole god damn squad hide behind cover !!! not only half the guys... (mainly a soviet problem, but really annoying...)
25 Apr 2014, 23:45 PM

I don't think it's possible for the icon to only show when it has the proper direction. It would mean that the symbol would only show when the unit is getting fired upon.

Just use these 2 rules of thumbs:
1) Craters provide cover in all directions.
2) For the rest, what you see is what you get? Is a model out of cover? Then that model does not get a cover bonus. Do the enemy bullets cross the cover you are standing behind? No? Well that means you are flanked and you get no cover bonus.
26 Apr 2014, 00:05 AM

Like Aerohank said...

1. Cover is directional.

2. What you see is what you get, the cover needs to be in between the enemy and you.

No, this is much simpler and this is how it worked in vCoH. Changing it would be really confusing for me.
26 Apr 2014, 11:20 AM

I would say unnecessary and wrong.
26 Apr 2014, 13:22 PM

Small cover symbols for each individual model (in addition to the squad cover symbol)?
Let the squad symbol change depending whether all or only some models are in cover (opaque/transparent or sth.)?
Little breaking shield animations when the units gets flanked like the "new" rear hits on tanks info pop-ups?

edit: Need to balance information usefulness and UI clutter overkill
26 Apr 2014, 18:33 PM

this always makes me laugh because I've noticed it too. I' ve been in the military, and there's always some guy in your section or platoon who's an idiot. I figure that one model who's standing just beside the cover is that idiot. "Guys ? Hey guys ! What are you doing ?" "Dieter, you idiot ! Get over here !" ...cracks me up every time.
26 Apr 2014, 22:14 PM

I find it hard to know if my units are in cover or not. As I understand it the symbol for cover will show if some of the models in the squad stand beside cover (correct me if im wrong!).

1 But if I get flanked they will not benefit from the cover but the coversymbol will show anyway.
2 As soviets some of the guys tend to stand beside the cover when the cover is to small. But the symbol for cover will show anyway.

I don't know why this is bothering you. Even if you're in cover it doesn't really matter anymore.
27 Apr 2014, 00:50 AM

I don't know why this is bothering you. Even if you're in cover it doesn't really matter anymore.

Been losing some games heini?
27 Apr 2014, 07:52 AM

A few. Just the ones played with german faction.
28 Apr 2014, 09:32 AM

A follow up question. When i'm behind a obstacle to find cover. But the cover icon is not showing. Am I then in no cover or just the models behind the obstacle?

Sometimes the models will move a bit and the cover icon will disappear.
28 Apr 2014, 09:36 AM

Only the models behind the actual obstacle are in cover. Sometimes units will more out of cover by themselves, as soldiers tend to move around a bit during fire-fights. It is advised to move them back into cover when this happens.
28 Apr 2014, 09:39 AM

So even the cover icon is not showing? I already though so but thanks for clarifying.
28 Apr 2014, 09:40 AM

A follow up question. When i'm behind a obstacle to find cover. But the cover icon is not showing. Am I then in no cover or just the models behind the obstacle?

Sometimes the models will move a bit and the cover icon will disappear.

Basically if there is a cover object between you and the one shooting at you, it will stop bullets, unless its a hole after explosion. Fences and wrecks will block fire, but won't stop suppression.

The closer it is to you, the better for you as you will not have anythign to block your shots off when you return fire.

Thats how it seems to be.
28 Apr 2014, 09:53 AM

Permanently Banned
A few. Just the ones played with german faction.

Better adapt and flank them!

I think most of time you know whether you are in cover or not. Some cover works for all directions, others don't.
28 Apr 2014, 10:26 AM

Better adapt and flank them!

Working on it. Anyway, nothing new here, it's same old thing as before 25 march.
28 Apr 2014, 10:44 AM

i think coh2 should have indivual unit HP bars, and numbers in those bars which represent it
eg

conscript squad
60/60 HP
60/60 HP
37/60 HP
45/60 HP
23/60 HP

like DOW2 but more in depth

PS: also a cover icon woul also be in the health bar representing individual unit cover
28 Apr 2014, 15:29 PM

What often happens to me:

I place MG where it says there is green cover. MG sets up, doesn't get any cover.
28 Apr 2014, 17:29 PM

this always makes me laugh because I've noticed it too. I' ve been in the military, and there's always some guy in your section or platoon who's an idiot. I figure that one model who's standing just beside the cover is that idiot. "Guys ? Hey guys ! What are you doing ?" "Dieter, you idiot ! Get over here !" ...cracks me up every time.

You must have been in the national guard.
28 Apr 2014, 17:53 PM

Cover is fairly intuitive. If you're up close against something between you and the thing firing, you have cover. If you're not, you don't. Models standing away from the wall or crater or whatever don't have cover unless they wind up just happening to get near some other cover.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★