Login

russian armor

American Speculation Thread

PAGES (7)down
28 Mar 2014, 12:42 PM

If we're going for Lend-Lease Vehicles, what about some Brits? I can't wait for some Valentines, Churchills and Matildas to show up.

Knowing Relic the Sherman will probably be superior in all aspects to the T-34, despite being very similar in performance and some cases the T-34 being superior.
28 Mar 2014, 12:47 PM

If Relic want to be completely historically accurate it would be Battle of the Bulge and beyond, since that is a late war M4A3 Sherman.
28 Mar 2014, 12:48 PM

Permanently Banned
28 Mar 2014, 12:50 PM

Knowing Relic the Sherman will probably be superior in all aspects to the T-34, despite being very similar in performance and some cases the T-34 being superior.
Actually the Sherman was better. Both were easy to maintain and produce. The M4 we see on the screen M4A3 also didn´t catch fire that easily as it had wet storage. The crew comfort and accuracy of the M4 were also better. The M4 had gyro stabilizers which allowed it to somewhat accurately fire on the move. Plus the 75mm armed Sherman had a better HE shell than the T-34/76.

I just hope the M4 doesn´t get the ram ability.
28 Mar 2014, 12:54 PM
Patrion 14

Some of you guys are way too cynical. There is no way Relic is going to a major gaming convention the week after GDC with a presentation called "Something new!" ... just to announce a DLC commander.
28 Mar 2014, 12:55 PM
Patrion 14

When is the announcement today?

15:00 UTC, about 2 hours from now.
28 Mar 2014, 13:00 PM

1. "Heavy cav. here!" - Might be English, but everybody in this game has English voice-lines. It is likely, that the line was jsut used, because we know it from Coh1. Might be that it also appears on the new Shermans (as it´s fairly neutral and not a restriction to Americans).

Sure but it just has that american vibe for me. That line fits the stereotype murrica voice but I personally cant really imagine it being spoken in a pseudo-russian-english way.

But thats probably just me^^

Actually the Sherman was better. Both were easy to maintain and produce. The M4 we see on the screen M4A3 also didn´t catch fire that easily as it had wet storage. The crew comfort and accuracy of the M4 were also better. The M4 had gyro stabilizers which allowed it to somewhat accurately fire on the move. Plus the 75mm armed Sherman had a better HE shell than the T-34/76.

Oh god...ramming shermans...

Wouldnt the M4 sherman as a call in just be something in between a t34/76 and a t34/85 then?

That kind of unit wouldnt be distinct enough for a commander. I think that even a new soviet faction with some lend and lease focus would be more likely then
28 Mar 2014, 13:06 PM

FWIW from what I've read of the Soviet lend-lease version at least, whilst it was regarded as a "hotel" by the standards of T-34 crews, they also remarked on how easily it caught fire. IIRC though the Soviet Lend-lease was the M4A2 though... As well as that, it strikes me that the M4 we see here in the screenshot is the M4A2... given the sharp right angles of the frontal plate (of course the M4A3 had it as well, but given we're discussing CoH2 and an American expansion is unlikely (and bloody stupid), it makes sense for it to be an M4A2...
28 Mar 2014, 13:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2014, 12:25 PMBurts
honestly, i hope it is a lend lease commander.
If its the western front nobody will play it.

COH 1 is a slightly better game in itself than COH 2 (because of global upgrades), however, i think COH 2 is way better for me because for me atleast, the eastern front is 10x more interesting than the in my opinion, rather boring, western front. Adding americans to this game , ehh i dont know...
Then again this is only my opinion, i understand lots of other people want lots of new factions or something. I for example just want sovs/ ostheer balanced.

COH is pretty small scale. ANY part of WWII can be interesting on that scale. It could be Finland, Ardennes, North Africa (lees likely considering much more art work need be done), Italy.

If this announcement is supposed to be big then it won't be commanders. It probably won't even be a campaign or ToW. It is more likely an expansion. Remember, they can announce it now for release in Oct/Nov for the Holiday season or even for a year from now.

I think a combo of US and Battle of the Bulge would be excellent and I would love to play it. And there is plenty of US stuff that hasn't been used to make it interesting. Air-droppable 75mm artillery, Jumbo Shermans, Time-on-Target artillery strikes, 205mm howitzers, M36 Tank Destroyers, etc.

The US made 25,000 Stuarts during the war and several thousand M24 Chaffees (18tons and a 75mm gun) yet they don't appear as a US tank in COH, but the Germans made a total of 40 Ostwinds and they somehow end up in numbers on both the Eastern and Western fronts.
28 Mar 2014, 13:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2014, 13:15 PMAvNY

COH is pretty small scale. ANY part of WWII can be interesting on that scale. It could be Finland, Ardennes, North Africa (lees likely considering much more art work need be done), Italy.
I say this all the time. With the scale of the game even Japan is doable. I'm still holding out for a pacific expansion, but it's probably a long shot as we have seen nothing to indicate japan. I'm just so tired of fighting with or against germany and want to see another nation rather then multiple german factions. It's so boring.
28 Mar 2014, 13:26 PM

FWIW from what I've read of the Soviet lend-lease version at least, whilst it was regarded as a "hotel" by the standards of T-34 crews, they also remarked on how easily it caught fire. IIRC though the Soviet Lend-lease was the M4A2 though... As well as that, it strikes me that the M4 we see here in the screenshot is the M4A2... given the sharp right angles of the frontal plate (of course the M4A3 had it as well, but given we're discussing CoH2 and an American expansion is unlikely (and bloody stupid), it makes sense for it to be an M4A2...

There was a BIG difference in survivability of later designs of shermans. By 1944 all the Shermans fielded by the US were "wet" shermans. This meant their ammo was in wet storage to prevent fire. After this change the tendency to light on fire disappeared. In fact it is considered a safer tank from that perspective than late model pIV's.
28 Mar 2014, 13:30 PM

Yes but I must point out that it makes a lot more sense to be discussing the Soviet lend-lease Sherman as we've been seeing that in game as wrecks as well as elsewhere... Did the M4A2 have wet storage?

Safety is all well and good but can it destroy stuff as well? Cardboard suggested that the HE shell was more effective in the Sherman, does that imply that the AP performance for the 75mm was worse...?
28 Mar 2014, 13:32 PM

I say this all the time. With the scale of the game even Japan is doable. I'm still holding out for a pacific expansion, but it's probably a long shot as we have seen nothing to indicate japan. I'm just so tired of fighting with or against germany and want to see another nation rather then multiple german factions. It's so boring.

Your problem is Germany did most of the fighting and took most of the materiale. Whereas in the West there were 3 separate and distinct armies with their own organizations and equipment.

There just isn't any "teching" to be done as the Japanese. They had almost no armor, limited choice of infantry weapons, and not a lot of artillery. In China that might work to a degree, though thinking about it a WWI era would be much more interesting than China.

Perhaps an axis army of Italians, Romanians, Finns, etc. ? (but they were shortchanged on equipment and supply so didn't fight very well).
28 Mar 2014, 13:33 PM

Finnish, I'll keep saying it! Get the Finnish in! Probably one of the most interest fronts you'll find.
28 Mar 2014, 13:33 PM

Omg dont put ram on the sherman, ffs.
28 Mar 2014, 13:36 PM

More realistic than the current T-34 ram. :)
28 Mar 2014, 13:43 PM

The event should start in 15min. Looks like we will get our answer soon.

edit: any Idea where we are supposedd to watch this thing?
28 Mar 2014, 13:45 PM

More realistic than the current T-34 ram. :)

And which part about raming isnt realistic?
28 Mar 2014, 13:48 PM

Yes but I must point out that it makes a lot more sense to be discussing the Soviet lend-lease Sherman as we've been seeing that in game as wrecks as well as elsewhere... Did the M4A2 have wet storage?

Safety is all well and good but can it destroy stuff as well? Cardboard suggested that the HE shell was more effective in the Sherman, does that imply that the AP performance for the 75mm was worse...?

The early model Shermans (1942) were superior to most early model p4s. But the Germans were already working on upgrades due to their experience in Russia, AND their upgrades could reach the battlefield faster from production. The US wouldn't yet know about the about-to-be obsolescence while the Germans were already working on better PIvs and on the PV. The US would improve the Sherman and design the m26, but anything the US did accomplish would also still be 2-3 months (at least) from delivery since they had to cross the Atlantic, get prepped in England, and then cross the still constrained supply lines across the Channel and through war-torn France.

The later Shermans had the higher velocity 76mm gun and the AP rounds for it were very effective. But they were in very short supply since most were allocated to the m18s.
28 Mar 2014, 13:50 PM

The event should start in 15min. Looks like we will get our answer soon.

edit: any Idea where we are supposedd to watch this thing?

Huh? I thought in an hour?!
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 569
Netherlands 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %