2.1 Story behind the map
2.2a Map overview & size
2.2b detailed overview
2.3 Battle & Cover
2.4 Ideas and thoughts
3.1 Clearing out

1.1 Introduction
Hi coh2 mappers.
I've been going around with ideas for maps for coh for a long time. I've spend countless hours visualizing parts of maps, drawing and making ideas. Never finished a project. Because of lacking knowledge or encountered different errors I had no clue of how to solve. Enough chit chat.
I will in this post present my ideas behind the project known as "Giathy Rons".

1.2 About the project
The project is a mash of small ideas put together and melted into a map overview. I'd try and explain everything as it goes. Please ask questions if you have any.
Everything is up for discussion nothing is final until there's a map to play on. Which will be when the worldbuilder for coh2 is released so within the year hopefully :) until then let's get going.

2.1 Story behind the map
We're playing with snow here. Not a lot of it. But this world is cold. There's a small village named "Feydor" lying a few clicks south of the main road. The main road is vital for the German army's transport of supplies to the front. Russians have gathered Intel and blown a bridge connecting the road, straight north of the village. Under the bridge runs a small river known as "Jam Chuld". The River runs south towards the village, it runs into a small lake just outside of the village known as "Chuld Naid". The lake provides water for the soil making it good for growth. The villagers have taken advantage of this and it's impossible to enter the village without passing by several fields with corn growth.
The Germans are here to retake the village and rebuild the bridge to maintenance their supplies to the front and not loose any pressure. Russians is ready to prevent any recapture of the village and any attempts to rebuild the bridge must be prevented!

2.2a Map overview & size

The size of the map should be similiar to OnkelSams "Bois du Chatelet" and Whiteflashs "Argentan Crossroads". Basically it's a 1v1 map!

Main overview. Basic layout of the map.

*Notes*
- the black line represents the main road.
- thin black line represents a walking path with a small crossing bridge over the lake
- thin light blue line is the river "Jam Chuld"
- light blue circle is the lake "Chuld Naid"
- Black squares is headquarters for Germans/Russians
- Stars represents Victory Points.

2.2b Detailed overview

*Notes*
there's a road leading into the village, this is the main road & is though as the only road leading to the other side of the lake/snow covered fields. The idea is to compress vehicle combat. By not letting them move "fast" around the map.
It is though as there's fencing around the fields. When I stated the map is snow covered I was thinking with as little "heavy snow" as possible. E.g Roads are cleared of snow and most of the fields too. But there's "heavy snow" close to fences or at the side of roads.

2.3 Battles & Cover

Colors represent different faction (Player 1 = Red & Player 2 = Blue) *for mirror match ups*
Arrows represent Main entrance to certain battle areas
Circles represents battle areas. (It though as here would the main battles be settled.)
Compress Stars represents Fuel points

2.4 Ideas and thoughts
The map it self is though as not big and not too small. Medium ideal for infantry but with gaps open for armored fighting. Between the fields it's though as there's lots of walking paths for fast infantry and light vehicle movement also ideal for mines. Though there should be a main path towards each VP and fuel, there should also be at least one other path that it just as fast.
I haven't touch cover as I don't feel I know enough about the game to place cover. I think it should be placed through play testing rather than assumptions.

3.1 Clearing out
Sorry for paint images it's the best I could do at the moment. I hope you feel compelled to add you'r own ideas or is inspired to make your own map. Please feel free to leave any feedback.
This is my first time making an idea public.
I've never finished a map for any other game, yet I've tried several times. It would be super awesome if this could become a competitive map!

Thanks a lot for reading!
10 Jan 2013, 17:32 PM
Senior Caster Badge

If you ask me, it's kind of early to start planning CoH 2 maps without knowing how the game plays.
10 Jan 2013, 17:45 PM

I presume the above is a map idea ,

1). What help is required ? (Is it for COH / COH 2)
2). Are you planning to make the map ? If , yes
3). What are the problem areas that you have ?

P.S. If you start off with the HQ in the middle , Then ,the resource income areas could be closer to mid , west and east - to encourage combat

Moy
10 Jan 2013, 18:12 PM

If you ask me, it's kind of early to start planning CoH 2 maps without knowing how the game plays.

Well I kinda agree. Since we don't know the exact way CoH 2 plays yet. It is early. But this will be on the discussion level from the knowledge we have from CoH and articles and since Relic doesn't release the game with the worldbuilder. Changes will be made.

I think of this as theory crafting the map :)

I presume the above is a map idea,

1). What help is required ? (Is it for COH / COH 2)
2). Are you planning to make the map ? If , yes
3). What are the problem areas that you have ?

P.S. If you start off with the HQ in the middle , Then ,the resource income areas could be closer to mid , west and east - to encourage combat

Presumed right.

1. Currently though as a CoH 2 map. But since there's a good amount of time until CoH 2 worldbuilder. I'd might say it could be made for CoH.

2. I'm not planing to make the map myself, as I have not enough experience with the worldbuilder. I'd might try but mappers are welcome to take on the project.

3. Basically my problem is I haven't played coh enough to know what works best or how the game flows best. Most of my experience comes from player streams and SNF. I played some automatch but never reached rank 10 on any faction. Lack of knowledge about the game could be my problem.

I'd differently look into move the fuel.
10 Jan 2013, 22:44 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Do you have a rough draft of a sector layout?
10 Jan 2013, 23:13 PM

I want more detail. Can you hand draw? If you have a scanner, you can quickly sketch and scan.

As far as the concept goes, I like it. I would encourage the main access routes to be skewed in some way to create interesting engagements. The symmetrical layout in this regard may play to be boring (not dynamic). It would be great to see pathing mixed up, yet balanced. This is something that we need to play the game to really understand, but it's worth contemplating.

Something that confuses me is also the VP on the bridge. It was my understanding that the bridge is busted, so where is the vp? It can't be in the middle of the river unless it's shallow (but then why have the bridge?). I'm sure I'm just missing a small detail here.

Thanks for sharing the concept, I like the overall idea and story. I think though you could start sketching where all the footpaths and other terrain features are to further sell everyone on your idea. Keep it up
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★