Login

russian armor

The tiger ace syndrome

12 Jan 2014, 09:52 AM

This isn't necessarily a rant about the commanders abilities itself but the future commander variation.

Like you, playing the Soviets I have encountered the dreaded tiger ace commander multiple times now and my frustration only grows, more so with the buy vet system which imo breaks a core concept of the game.

My concern is that when the Soviet counterpart is released in the near future that the majority of players will adopt it to counter the tiger ace and thus even a smaller amount of commander variations will be seen in game.

Am I wrong? What are your concerns?

12 Jan 2014, 10:00 AM

I disagree buy vet system break the game because Soviet got too much one click (or even no need to click anything) wipe out a squad or a vehicle.

How can Ostheer survive in late game without buying vet while so many times Soviet just ridiculously wipe out vet 3 stuff, that easily?
12 Jan 2014, 10:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 10:00 AMPorygon
I disagree buy vet system break the game because Soviet got too much one click (or even no need to click anything) wipe out a squad or a vehicle.

How can Ostheer survive in late game without buying vet while so many times Soviet just ridiculously wipe out vet 3 stuff, that easily?

I didn't want this thread to focus on the abilities of the commander but how the tiger ace and its counterpart will affect commander variation.
12 Jan 2014, 12:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 10:32 AMwuff

I didn't want this thread to focus on the abilities of the commander but how the tiger ace and its counterpart will affect commander variation.

Oh the Tiger Ace?

It's bullshit period :)
12 Jan 2014, 12:24 PM

Wait! What? They are going to introduce an ace for Russians too? What tank?

If that´s really true, this game is beyond any help. Just look at the German aces score and then the Russian "aces" score - that´s just beyond comparison. This game is totally moving to bullshit-land. This isn´t an early war game where a KV locked down an area - this is supposed to represent 1944.

I´m already pissed about the ram ability, more range on SU-85 and mark target which screws up tank combat. But if that´s really going to happen, I doubt I will be playing to the extend I´m doing now. It´s not only small mistakes representing the factions... it seems to move to utter shit which actually has nothing to do with WW2, except some models. Give Germans anti-tank-knives! They never existed but are needed for balance of course.

:clap:
12 Jan 2014, 13:26 PM

Wait! What? They are going to introduce an ace for Russians too? What tank?

If that´s really true, this game is beyond any help. Just look at the German aces score and then the Russian "aces" score - that´s just beyond comparison. This game is totally moving to bullshit-land. This isn´t an early war game where a KV locked down an area - this is supposed to represent 1944.

I´m already pissed about the ram ability, more range on SU-85 and mark target which screws up tank combat. But if that´s really going to happen, I doubt I will be playing to the extend I´m doing now. It´s not only small mistakes representing the factions... it seems to move to utter shit which actually has nothing to do with WW2, except some models. Give Germans anti-tank-knives! They never existed but are needed for balance of course.

:clap:

They are elite T34-85 from the Overwhelming armor doctrine leaked a couple of moths back. It was a long time ago so some things may have changed.
12 Jan 2014, 14:04 PM

Pay2Win commanders, and don't tell me they're not. The only truly competitive and viable commanders are the DLC ones.

Buying veterancy was fine in CoH1 when that was the only way Wehrmacht ever got it.
12 Jan 2014, 14:11 PM

I stopped to play CoH2 thanks to the Tiger Ace.

That is not a RTS anymore, is just a crappy P2W where you can buy units that give you a second chance to win a lost game.
12 Jan 2014, 14:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 14:11 PMGreeb

That is not a RTS anymore, is just a crappy P2W where you can buy units that give you a second chance to win a lost game.

Yeah, if this Soviet Ace BS ever shows up, I'm about done with this game. And future Relic titles as well. What a way to F*CK up the legacy of the greatest RTS of all time.
Greedy pigs.
12 Jan 2014, 15:21 PM

I love the general reaction to the Tiger Ace, and not in a sarcastic way. I hope Relic really take heed from this, and think about future DLC commander concepts much more carefully.

If you play with fire...
12 Jan 2014, 15:31 PM

For people worried about realism: there is none already. This game is about as unrealistic as possible. And I am not talking just about little things like sniper flare in a blizzard, ramming the back of the tank to destroy the gun or magically appearing LMGs etc. but even the very core of the game. Just look at 2 squads shooting at each other from a distance of few feet (even without cover) for as long as it takes for the RNG to roll a hit to kill someone... most of them should be dead on the ground almost immediately in such a scenario (for example Men of War games are a lot more accurate in this area). I mean at this point you can add flying tanks, sorcerers or mechagodzilla in the game, it doesn`t matter.

As for the gameplay - I fully share OP`s concerns. I own the Tiger Ace commander, it`s complete BS and should be changed/removed from the game. Adding even more similar **** is a slap in the face of the people who like this game.
12 Jan 2014, 15:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

As for the gameplay - I fully share OP`s concerns. I own the Tiger Ace commander, it`s complete BS and should be changed/removed from the game. Adding even more similar **** is a slap in the face of the people who like this game.

Yup. Me too.
12 Jan 2014, 15:43 PM

Could the troop training ability only give one star per use, currently many units achieve two stars per use.

What do you think?
12 Jan 2014, 15:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 14:16 PMKhan

Yeah, if this Soviet Ace BS ever shows up, I'm about done with this game. And future Relic titles as well. What a way to F*CK up the legacy of the greatest RTS of all time.
Greedy pigs.

The whole commander system is complete bullshit made by Relic.
Company of heroes 1 was so much better.It had much more non doctrinal Units because of 4 Factions instead of only 2.And only 3 doctrins for any faction which was perfect.

Now we have Company of bullshit-P2W-Commander spam with only 2 factions and 10000000 Commanders, less non doctrinal units but millions of doctrinal/commander Units and therefore less variety in gameplay.Most of the commanders are useless bullshit that nobody uses.

Anyways it was never the intention from relic to design a good game this was relics intention when it Comes to the stupid Lets-Sell-Millions-Of-P2W-Commanders-To-The-People-Like-There-Is-No-Tomorrow:

12 Jan 2014, 16:12 PM

For people worried about realism: there is none already. This game is about as unrealistic as possible. And I am not talking just about little things like sniper flare in a blizzard, ramming the back of the tank to destroy the gun or magically appearing LMGs etc. but even the very core of the game. Just look at 2 squads shooting at each other from a distance of few feet (even without cover) for as long as it takes for the RNG to roll a hit to kill someone... most of them should be dead on the ground almost immediately in such a scenario (for example Men of War games are a lot more accurate in this area). I mean at this point you can add flying tanks, sorcerers or mechagodzilla in the game, it doesn`t matter.

mechagodzilla OP! fuck this game!
12 Jan 2014, 16:25 PM

Relic gives a shit what you think about this game!!!!

This is everything they care for:

12 Jan 2014, 16:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 15:43 PMwuff
Could the troop training ability only give one star per use, currently many units achieve two stars per use.

What do you think?

units dont recieve a set amount of stars. the ability gives a fixed amount of xp, so the amount of vet is then based on the cost of the unit. grens get vet 3 in 1 use. pgrens only get vet 2. panthers require 2 uses to get vet 1. ive really never felt vet units are a problem. youre investing heavily into a single unit. this reduces the number of tanks you can have on the field and also delays teching. the only thing i find annoying is vet 3 mortars early on, but its nothing you cant handle.

also, i dont see the point in discussing commanders that havent been announced. one, you have no idea when/if theyll show up and two, you have no idea how they function. just seems like itll get people worked up, potentially over nothing.
12 Jan 2014, 16:33 PM

mechagodzilla OP! fuck this game!

Fuck you and L2P, you non-mechagodzilla-faction fanboy!

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 15:43 PMwuff

What do you think?

I definitely think this ability should be changed. What I had in mind was the limitation of 1 use per unit, because I really hate the style of gameplay of camping and boosting Panzers/Panthers to vet 3 (especially in team games) that is currently encouraged.
12 Jan 2014, 17:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 16:25 PMwooof

units dont recieve a set amount of stars. the ability gives a fixed amount of xp, so the amount of vet is then based on the cost of the unit. grens get vet 3 in 1 use. pgrens only get vet 2. panthers require 2 uses to get vet 1. ive really never felt vet units are a problem. youre investing heavily into a single unit. this reduces the number of tanks you can have on the field and also delays teching. the only thing i find annoying is vet 3 mortars early on, but its nothing you cant handle.

also, i dont see the point in discussing commanders that havent been announced. one, you have no idea when/if theyll show up and two, you have no idea how they function. just seems like itll get people worked up, potentially over nothing.

I understand how the system works, I was just pointing out many units achieve two stars with the amount of XP received from using troop training.

I know it is an investment but in a equally or higher skilled players hands they will still have enough fuel for mp to field a sufficient army. In my experience it really doesn't hinder the player at all and just provides a bonus. And if the player with commander has more map control it just allows them to vet more and more units further tipping the balance in their favour.
12 Jan 2014, 17:52 PM

I hate Tiger Ace and we're really past the time it should be changed. I gave a decent proposition myself in the other thread.
There is a lot off whining on this and official forum but I don't think this will affect balance decisions as they were spot on if we don't consider "new commander balance".
This is my biggest fear atm. I mean I hope they've learned the lesson and we won't see anything like early Soviet Industry or current Tiger Ace anymore but I have this feeling deep inside that I'm just fooling myself.
I absolutely hate this modern game design based on micro transactions or item shop. I mean CoH2 alone was design with this in mind. I'm ok with buying skins, colour paterns etc. but I was never ok with buy able commanders or the fact that you only get new units with these.
Unfortunately there are many examples that this will become even bigger issue than it is right now. Just look at new Forza, Gran Turismo, Dead Space 3 etc.
And the saddest thing is that we got no one but ourselves to blame.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★