Login

russian armor

How to: Create a map layout and draw sectors

11 Nov 2013, 22:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

In this video tutorial for beginners you will learn how to create a map layout outside of worldbuilder. Which core concepts you should keep in mind when creating your layout. How to visualize your layout inside worldbuilder and how to draw the territory sectors and capping zones.

Contents
  • Layout preparation
  • Visualizing the map layout
  • Drawing sectors and capping zones

In the beginning of the video you will find links that enable you to directly jump to each of the chapters.

Map layout and sector drawing video tutorial

This is how a typical map layout preparation image might look like. Pay special attention to the number of specific sector types to have a balanced economy.

Map layout preparation image

If you have further questions or some steps are still unclear, please ask your question in this thread.
12 Nov 2013, 18:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Seb
12 Nov 2013, 20:39 PM
Admin Black Badge

The first step is probably the most important and overlooked part of making a good multiplayer map. Maybe less so in COH2 than it was in COH1 though.

I feel like it has lost depth in that regard, you can almost advise creators to stick to an exact number of each with a pre-defined position.

For the better or the worse, I can't really tell yet.

Thanks for the vid !
13 Nov 2013, 14:55 PM
Donator 11

It seems the worldbuilder is much brighter zoomed out in this tutorial than in previous tutorials. Could you tell me how? The further I zoom out, the darker the map becomes, quite annoying ;)

Great tutorials btw!
13 Nov 2013, 15:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge

in some tutorials i toggled the visibility of fog. Its a button in the visibility tool bar on the top right. It's only a feature inside worldbuilder though, and has nothing to do with how the map will look ingame.
13 Nov 2013, 15:15 PM
Donator 11

Ah yes, thats it. Thanks!
16 Nov 2013, 18:10 PM

A really special thanks :) a splendid work. I would have been happy at the time of COH 1 to have this tutorial.

The little detail for the capping was the key about my troubles to take points :)

17 Nov 2013, 20:24 PM

thanks for the tutorials, but do we have to have at least one fuel point or munition point in the map?

can we make a map with just victory points and strategic points only?
Seb
17 Nov 2013, 21:36 PM
Admin Black Badge

A really special thanks :) a splendid work. I would have been happy at the time of COH 1 to have this tutorial.

The little detail for the capping was the key about my troubles to take points :)

These tutorials existed, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. :p Have fun with the new one !

thanks for the tutorials, but do we have to have at least one fuel point or munition point in the map?

can we make a map with just victory points and strategic points only?

I'm pretty sure it is not required and you can do whatever you want.

He's just giving the "standard" of a good multiplayer map, that is the average number around which game flow has been designed and balanced.
20 Nov 2013, 07:44 AM

Hm, it seems I can only get the "see lines through territory colors" intensity trick to work on some maps. It's really annoying when it's not possible to see them :(

Edit: Aha, it also depends a lot on the texture you have on your map!
With dirt_base it was impossible, but with dirt_muddy_wet it is VERY easy to see the splines!
29 Nov 2013, 20:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

What is your opinion on a single munition point in the middle instead of two ones?
30 Nov 2013, 08:43 AM

Anything that creates a focal point on the map is good IMO. Just make sure that all starting positions have equal opportunities to capture and hold it.

Edit: and try to give players a way of denying the sector to the enemy, while not being forced to assault the actual point, i.e. an easily accessible cutoff sector.
30 Nov 2013, 09:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

What is your opinion on a single munition point in the middle instead of two ones?

The number of sectors i suggest in the tutorial are guidelines. Depending on the map layout you may vary them slightly, which means you may go from 2 muni points to 1 muni point, if it goes hand in hand with your map layout. But i suggest to not go away from these numbers too much, or you might run into economy problems.
3 Dec 2013, 21:03 PM
Patrion 26

I got a question before I even start my own map, can you actually place a VP point on an object? A Wide bridge for example. Or if you place it on the ground but there is a bridge passing through the capping area, will it work for the units to cap it?
17 Dec 2013, 17:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 07:44 AMQvazar
Hm, it seems I can only get the "see lines through territory colors" intensity trick to work on some maps. It's really annoying when it's not possible to see them :(

Edit: Aha, it also depends a lot on the texture you have on your map!
With dirt_base it was impossible, but with dirt_muddy_wet it is VERY easy to see the splines!

What helped me here was doing it roughly with the overlay OFF and just following the splines, then going back to tidy it up flicking the overlay on and off.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★