Login

russian armor

USF Officer improvement

29 Jul 2019, 19:07 PM

The major should have been in a WC51 with the deployable radio tower and a .50 cal.
29 Jul 2019, 19:08 PM

The major is already such a critical utility unit for USF, I cringe whenever I see people letting him get wiped so easily.

Recon planes, artillery, the forward retreat point.

If he gets upgraded to a 4 man squad I think he should lose weapon slots, since seeing people stack bazookas or even BARs on the Major squad just looks and feels dumb, particularly since his guys are supposed to be radiomen and shouldn't be carrying all this extra combat junk.

Removal of one weapon slot from the Major in exchange for an extra man would be fine, but I really don’t think the Major needs much work if any. I just figured that if we were going to suggest a redo of USF officers I might as well suggest an extra man for the Major.

I’m more interested in seeing what folks think about my suggestions for the Lieutenant and the Captain though.
1 Aug 2019, 22:48 PM

The proper way to do officers and make them more useful would be to start them with 4 M1 Carbines and the Thompson on the LT or CPT himself. Then allow for a double Thompson upgrade for 70 munitions (kind of like Cavalry Rifles) plus the BAR/Bazooka upgrades they already have in their weapon slots. This would do two things:

1) Make these units CQB oriented rather than longer range oriented like Riflemen.

2) Make them more useful/powerful than a standard Rifle sqaud unlike how they are now.
2 Aug 2019, 00:56 AM

Removal of one weapon slot from the Major in exchange for an extra man would be fine, but I really don’t think the Major needs much work if any. I just figured that if we were going to suggest a redo of USF officers I might as well suggest an extra man for the Major.

I’m more interested in seeing what folks think about my suggestions for the Lieutenant and the Captain though.

I like the major as-is. He really shouldn't ever be in direct combat at all (and thus shouldn't need an extra man), as all his abilities barring smoke are definitely useable from a safe distance from infantry engagements.
2 Aug 2019, 01:12 AM

I like the major as-is. He really shouldn't ever be in direct combat at all (and thus shouldn't need an extra man), as all his abilities barring smoke are definitely useable from a safe distance from infantry engagements.

I agree. I don't see a reason to add a 4th man to the Major sqaud. Like I said it would have been smarter to have the Major as a Jeep/WC51 with a deploy ability for a forward retreat point similar to the Ambulance.
2 Aug 2019, 08:23 AM

Honestly, after thinking about it some I feel like moving "On Me!" to the LT would be enough. It sort of fits the Lieutenant a bit more than the company commander imo. But, then you would have to make all sorts of other changes to veterancy and etc so at this point why bother. The officers are more or less fine as they are even if LT in particular is pretty bland and generally just a rifle squad with a Thompson, extremely high vet requirements, and worse starting RA.

“On me” seems more ‘rear line’ to me, which fits the captain. I think a good fit for the lieutenant would be an ability like “get to that position (just copypaste the voice line from rifles). The lieutenant gives the target allied squad a movement boost.
2 Aug 2019, 08:28 AM

I like the idea proposed by GI John but recently I read another proposal on this forum that I think deserves a second look.

1 man officer squads that can merge with other infantry squads. If I remember correctly they keep there individual abilities and Thompson and get a merger abities like conscript. This means the individual manpower requirements are lowered significantly but the fuel price stays the same. This also means there can be more varied build order openings cause you are not locked into 2 pseudo "rifle squad" and less popcap burden.
2 Aug 2019, 08:36 AM

Or we could make them optional
2 Aug 2019, 23:12 PM

I like the idea proposed by GI John but recently I read another proposal on this forum that I think deserves a second look.

1 man officer squads that can merge with other infantry squads. If I remember correctly they keep there individual abilities and Thompson and get a merger abities like conscript. This means the individual manpower requirements are lowered significantly but the fuel price stays the same. This also means there can be more varied build order openings cause you are not locked into 2 pseudo "rifle squad" and less popcap burden.

First, thanks I feel like a lot of folks are just jumping on the 4 man Major aspect of my proposal, which is something I just threw in at the last second and I now regret considering how much it has taken away from any talk of my proposed modifications to the LT and Capt.

I like your idea a lot though, but I don’t know if it can be implemented for two main reasons.

1. The change is pretty radical and will probably get a lot of push back from those who would prefer to see no change or only minor changes.

2. I’m not sure if it can be done mechanically in the game. Because of the nature of how units merge the unit doing the merge is normally “eaten up” by the unit they are merging into, not the other way around. The Captain and Lieutenant doing the merge would also end up making a +1 man version of the regular squad. 6 man Riflemen? Powerful but not too strong if you can only get 1 or 2. But 7 man Paratroopers with 5 Thompsons or 2 M1919A6s or 6 man Rangers with 5 Thompsons or 3 Bazookas. The solution would be to limit the officers to merging with only Riflemen or Rear Echelon squads, but now you’re pretty much back to where you started.

I dunno, it sounds really cool and I’d love to see if it could be done, but I think it would be harder to balance.
2 Aug 2019, 23:16 PM

First, thanks I feel like a lot of folks are just jumping on the 4 man Major aspect of my proposal, which is something I just threw in at the last second and I now regret considering how much it has taken away from any talk of my proposed modifications to the LT and Capt.

I like your idea a lot though, but I don’t know if it can be implemented for two main reasons.

1. The change is pretty radical and will probably get a lot of push back from those who would prefer to see no change or only minor changes.

2. I’m not sure if it can be done mechanically in the game. Because of the nature of how units merge the unit doing the merge is normally “eaten up” by the unit they are merging into, not the other way around. The Captain and Lieutenant doing the merge would also end up making a +1 man version of the regular squad. 6 man Riflemen? Powerful but not too strong if you can only get 1 or 2. But 7 man Paratroopers with 5 Thompsons or 2 M1919A6s or 6 man Rangers with 5 Thompsons or 3 Bazookas. The solution would be to limit the officers to merging with only Riflemen or Rear Echelon squads, but now you’re pretty much back to where you started.

I dunno, it sounds really cool and I’d love to see if it could be done, but I think it would be harder to balance.

Make it an ability that you use on a rifleman squad like the brit command vehicle designation mechanic that gives them the extra model with thompson and abilities, and is limited to one. You could use it out of the tier building after you unlock it.
3 Aug 2019, 00:07 AM

@LoopDloop, smart. That would be a good solution. Easy to implement and makes officers less of an investment to your population capacity. +10
3 Aug 2019, 02:22 AM

Make it an ability that you use on a rifleman squad like the brit command vehicle designation mechanic that gives them the extra model with thompson and abilities, and is limited to one. You could use it out of the tier building after you unlock it.

This can work. Like after you tech up, an ability will appear in that building. For example, if you go LT, in the platoon command post will appear an ability call "lieutenant promotion", select it and clik on a rifles squad to promote it into an LT squad with an extra Lt model and LT abilities. For more realistic, promotion should required vet, vet 1 for LT, vet 2 for Cap, major can remain a separate squad like now.
3 Aug 2019, 03:32 AM

This can work. Like after you tech up, an ability will appear in that building. For example, if you go LT, in the platoon command post will appear an ability call "lieutenant promotion", select it and clik on a rifles squad to promote it into an LT squad with an extra Lt model and LT abilities. For more realistic, promotion should required vet, vet 1 for LT, vet 2 for Cap, major can remain a separate squad like now.

Officer selection is usually determined by who went to college and who didn’t. Lol

As such, I don’t think the officer upgrade should be tied to veterancy.

More importantly, I don’t think it would be good for gameplay to further the complication of the game.

If this option were to be implemented the tech choice of either platoon command post or company command post would result in the Lieutenant and Captain squad upgrade being unlocked respectively. This upgrade appears as an upgrade for all rifleman squads until it is upgraded on one, then it disappears until the unit dies. The upgrade itself should cost nothing, but be unlocked as it is now by upgrading to the platoon command post or company command post. This upgrade would have to be adjusted in cost in order to take into account that you no longer get a free Lieutenant or Captain squad with the command post unlock. This way the USF player can choose to fast tech for vehicles or weapon teams but if the want to still have the same number of infantry squads as they would’ve previously had it will cost them more total manpower. This will hopefully encourage more diverse unit compositions and less rifle spam. Basically while the number of Riflemen squads built will be the same, the removal of the Captain and Lieutenant as separate squads will reduce the number of total infantry units on the field. It also means that back teching will no longer require as much pop cap, so back teching for an AT gun wouldn’t require the addition of another basic infantry squad for example.
3 Aug 2019, 03:32 AM

@LoopDloop, smart. That would be a good solution. Easy to implement and makes officers less of an investment to your population capacity. +10

IMO if it got implemented USF sidetech manpower costs should go down to like half of what they are now though. That'd still leave them paying the most for healing, nades, and weapon upgrades.
3 Aug 2019, 18:20 PM

On maps like crossing i put double bars on that mofo and let him go to town, he vers super quick and is actually super lethal and i just keep him towards the back. Hilariously axis players deem him a major threat for some reason and will try to chase and focus fire him so i pull him back so they move out of cover.
3 Aug 2019, 18:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2019, 18:20 PMRocket

On maps like crossing i put double bars on that mofo and let him go to town, he vets super quick and is actually super lethal and i just keep him towards the back. Hilariously axis players deem him a major threat for some reason and will try to chase and focus fire him so i pull him back so they move out of cover.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★