Login

russian armor

Novice to mid-level competition?

1 Sep 2013, 06:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've been intrigued by the idea of taking part in CoH2 tournaments, but the standards of the people taking part in current tournaments like the gamekeys one are way above my own and I doubt I'd stand much of a chance. Are there any middling or lower level tournaments currently in the works that I could take part in, to get a feel of things first?
1 Sep 2013, 06:58 AM
1 Sep 2013, 10:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Check out the ESL for COH2:
http://www.esl.eu/eu/coh2

The reddit community has put on a few, "for the glory" tournaments as well:
http://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/

Also, you might want to play in one of the for-fun or lower stakes tournaments, even if you do expect to get your butt kicked. I am not a high-level player by any stretch of the imagination but I played in the gamekeys tournament. If I wasn't the bottom-seeded player, I was close to it. I still had a lot of fun, despite getting completely owned in the second round.
If nothing else, playing in a tournament guarantees you a couple of clean games, and you get to say that you participated.
1 Sep 2013, 10:23 AM

Well its kinda, why would any1 watch competition of players that arent best of the best ya know? Like for example every1 likes to watch good derby on League of Champions ...example Bayern vs Barcelona, Chelsea vs Arsenal etc. and no1 wants to see like second grade teams like
York City vs Oxford Unites (existing teams in second English League)or similar
Also no1 could properly learn from such matches or even enjoy the high skilled play, i for example sometimes (ranked 45 with soviets and 60 with germans) am delighted to see a good competitive match vs High Skill players and am bored when see some new streamer trying to improve his gameplay tbh
Also why would less skilled players win a tournament and prizes when profesional and skilled player achieved 4-5th place and didnt get shit?
There are many reasons why people love high skilled play, competition , the best of the best
and not the middle of the rest
If you get me :)
Cheers
1 Sep 2013, 10:26 AM

Well its kinda, why would any1 watch competition of players that arent best of the best ya know? Like for example every1 likes to watch good derby on League of Champions ...example Bayern vs Barcelona, Chelsea vs Arsenal etc. and no1 wants to see like second grade teams like
York City vs Oxford Unites (existing teams in second English League)or similar
Also no1 could properly learn from such matches or even enjoy the high skilled play, i for example sometimes (ranked 45 with soviets and 60 with germans) am delighted to see a good competitive match vs High Skill players and am bored when see some new streamer trying to improve his gameplay tbh
Also why would less skilled players win a tournament and prizes when profesional and skilled player achieved 4-5th place and didnt get shit?
There are many reasons why people love high skilled play, competition , the best of the best
and not the middle of the rest
If you get me :)
Cheers

Who cares about people watching?

How about a rookies tournament made for fun, for the thrill of competition, they happen all the time, screw viewing numbers, it is about the enjoyment of the participants.
1 Sep 2013, 10:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2013, 10:26 AMwuff
Who cares about people watching?

How about a rookies tournament made for fun, for the thrill of competition, they happen all the time, screw viewing numbers, it is about the enjoyment of the participants.

Well , streamers care, interesting play attracts viewers ,and not clumsines of novices
no1 wants to see half of them forgeting about troops and letting them die, bad vehicle micro etc. tbh that would be fun idea but most ppl wouldnt care if there arent high ranked names in tourneys which we all recognize

Btw how would you know if some1 is rookie? Numer of games? Rank? Review every replay? Sneaky people could join easly, either get a deal with rookie account owner to share prize after tourney, use a second account, friends account or similar and present them selves as rookie (you cant really bust him can you) make few mistakes that rookies make but overall dominate them and take the prize
I think it would be hard to establish rules and order in such tourney
1 Sep 2013, 10:45 AM

Well , streamers care, interesting play attracts viewers ,and not clumsines of novices
no1 wants to see half of them forgeting about troops and letting them die, bad vehicle micro etc. tbh that would be fun idea but most ppl wouldnt care if there arent high ranked names in tourneys which we all recognize

Btw how would you know if some1 is rookie? Numer of games? Rank? Review every replay? Sneaky people could join easly, either get a deal with rookie account owner to share prize after tourney, use a second account, friends account or similar and present them selves as rookie (you cant really bust him can you) make few mistakes that rookies make but overall dominate them and take the prize
I think it would be hard to establish rules and order in such tourney

Who cares about streamers, when did it become a requirement for a game to be fun to have people streaming and watching.

Novice players who play in small tournaments / leagues couldn't care less about streaming and viewer numbers, it is the thrill of competition and enjoyment of a great game.

Sometimes I hate this obsession with social media/networking integration with gaming, it seems to have warped peoples perspective.

It could be hard, I don't know, but I think it could be done. I would hope that good players would have more self respect than sabotaging a rookie tournament.

1 Sep 2013, 10:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2013, 10:45 AMwuff

Who cares about streamers, when did it become a requirement for a game to be fun to have people streaming and watching.

Novice players who play in small tournaments / leagues couldn't care less about streaming and viewer numbers, it is the thrill of competition and enjoyment of a great game.

Sometimes I hate this obsession with social media/networking integration with gaming, it seems to have warped peoples perspective.

It could be hard, I don't know, but I think it could be done. I would hope that good players would have more self respect than sabotaging a rookie tournament.

Yes but for some1 to invest in prize pool , it has to attract people or at least cause positive effect on part of community ... otherwise it would just be giving stuff away fro free, and we all could participate in such event but again implying why would novice players recieve such stuff when good players can sit and even thou they spend countless hours in round after round in tourney , they get nothing
Also as it is, you cant believe the people and trust me some semi-pro (without decency ) would sneak in tourney, get the prize or ruin it, you cant possibly control that without knowing all the participants (which is impossible)
I mean no problems if some1 wants to organize that kind of tourney but i am supsicios for the success of the outcome
1 Sep 2013, 10:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge

MadrRasha- I guess I didn't make it clear, but I wasn't thinking about tournaments with livestreaming and casting and prizes and such- more like a friendly organized event. There's no real way to filter out the properly good players without an ELO rating, but I'd like to think there would be a way around that especially since no prizes would discourage anyone in it 'for the money', so to speak.
1 Sep 2013, 10:53 AM

Yes but for some1 to invest in prize pool , it has to attrack people , at least some ... otherwise it would just be giving it away free
I mean no problems if some1 wants to organize that kind of tourney but i am supsicios for the success of the outcome

I guess it depends on how you judge the success, would it attract record viewers on twitch, no, Would the prize pool be high, no and I don't think prizes are important.

Could it be a hell of a lot of fun for newer players to compete in, learn, make friends, and encourage them to player more and improve, yes I think it could be.

1 Sep 2013, 10:54 AM
Donator 11

MadrRasha- I guess I didn't make it clear, but I wasn't thinking about tournaments with livestreaming and casting and prizes and such- more like a friendly organized event. There's no real way to filter out the properly good players without an ELO rating, but I'd like to think there would be a way around that especially since no prizes would discourage anyone in it 'for the money', so to speak.

League is the Solution here. i think :)
1 Sep 2013, 10:57 AM

Well, community friendly event for rookies would have positive effect and i guess would attract some people to try out themselves
I guess that could work , but still it requires people to invest time to prepare and organize (with all the work, schools, events) it would be hard to find such nice people (but im sure there are some here) that would take their free time and make it all happen
Your proposal- a possibility i guess , just needs people to hear it out
1 Sep 2013, 10:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2013, 10:53 AMwuff

Could it be a hell of a lot of fun for newer players to compete in, learn, make friends, and encourage them to player more and improve, yes I think it could be.

Lol you came to the wrong place for that, im sure there are chill and nice people but ive met some horrid nobies, who after a defeat (crushing one) start blaming the game, blaming you for hacking, swear and curse and rage a lot... the result being the fact that coh is very competitive game
But if you attract bunch of nice people around and get ur voice heard, it could happen
1 Sep 2013, 11:04 AM

If there is no livestreaming, casting and prices involved, then why not just automatch instead of a tournament, as it is supposed to match you up with an equal opponent.
1 Sep 2013, 11:09 AM

Lol you came to the wrong place for that, im sure there are chill and nice people but ive met some horrid nobies, who after a defeat (crushing one) start blaming the game, blaming you for hacking, swear and curse and rage a lot... the result being the fact that coh is very competitive game
But if you attract bunch of nice people around and get ur voice heard, it could happen

I am afraid that can't be avoided, it comes part and parcel with the internet.

I know, I have met those players as well but it is not exclusive just to new players or coh2. I would say that most of the players I have met through COH2 are friendly.

1 Sep 2013, 11:11 AM
Benefactor 115

Sign up for the ESL series, you will get to play tournament style matches (best of three, map choice, play both factions) rather than the one and done of the ladder.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/coh2/1on1/series/

With regards to tournaments, I encourage people of all skill levels to sign up. You might go out in the first round, you might do better than you expect. I know I have more fun playing the bo3 setup over the auto matcher any day.

with regards to streaming it doesn't always have to showcase high level competition, there is just a massive lack of consistent CoH content at the moment(for both games might I add not just 2). Even having a weekly show with a few games from any tournament casted would lift the profile of the scene. Initial viewers will be low but you can build your viewer base by putting out regular content.
1 Sep 2013, 11:57 AM

I guess, you can make a post on this or other sites to see if some people want to do a tournament.

Not sure how pro tournaments are organized, but it would be quite simple to make one

Step 1: get some people to sign up for tournament, set time frame for it

Step 2: make a draw, play 1v1 games on custom games (you can broadcast them 2, probably without commentary)

Step 3: enjoy

Its not hard to do (not very pro tho, no cost at all but no prizes other than personal satisfaction)

Someone just needs to start it up, OP?

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS