Login

russian armor

Why no random faction automatches like in CoH1?

Would you like the idea of being able to search as random faction in automatches like in CoH1?
Option Distribution Votes
86%
14%
Total votes: 29
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
14 Dec 2017, 07:35 AM

Hey there,

I was just wondering myself why Relic eliminated the option to search for automatches, regardless of 1v1, 2v2, as random faction like in CoH1?

I am not talking about mixed random games aka OKW vs. OKW. In CoH1 you could select a random faction in automatch and would then be assigned to the, probably at this particular moment least used, faction as allies vs. axis.

For example, if I choose to search as random faction 1v1 & 2v2 and you choose to search as OKW 1v1, we could still automatically be matched up against each other as Brits (me) vs. OKW (you) in 1v1 automatch, making both of us happy with our choices and adding more diversity to the game.

This would often lead to an extra portion of excitement and unpredictability regarding the next match :) and could also potentially reduce faction fanboyism slightly, or developing a tendency towards a certain faction, since more diverse faction picking/playing is promoted.

//Edit:

First, here are the gathered advantages so far:

- Faster automatching for most players, as some choose to search as random faction
- Everyone is happy, players who prefer a specific faction, and players who like to be surprised
- Slightly more faction diversity, working against faction fanboyism

As developers and community often strive to mitigate heavy one-sided faction fanboyism, we could implement a small reward for searching/playing as random faction in automatch. For example, a higher chance for more or better Spoil of War rewards (Commanders, skins, medals) etc. This way we could encourage players slightly to play with more (random) factions. In the end faction diversity is always better for a healthy community that is aiming to balance the game in the right way.

Official companyofheroes.com post and poll results:
https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/244598/would-you-like-the-idea-of-being-able-to-search-as-random-faction-in-automatches-like-in-coh1

Does anyone have any more information or clues as of why it got kicked out?

Cheers
14 Dec 2017, 07:39 AM

I also miss this feature as I played mainly Random in vCoH.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that in CoH2 you need to select an "active" loadout for your commanders and skins.

If you are searching for random, the game could be not able to refer to a "standard" loadout for the factions.
14 Dec 2017, 12:15 PM

To be honest I think it wouldn't be bad to make random-faction mandatory for matchmaking. There are way to many players who only play one side.
14 Dec 2017, 15:30 PM

That would be awesome
14 Dec 2017, 16:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2017, 12:15 PMsigah
To be honest I think it wouldn't be bad to make random-faction mandatory for matchmaking. There are way to many players who only play one side.

I am not talking about a random-faction mandatory automatch, or eliminating the option of playing as a picked (no random) faction.

Both ways should possible just like in CoH1.

For example if I choose to search as random faction 1v1 & 2v2 and you choose to search as OKW 1v1, we could still automatically be matched up against each other as Brits (me) vs. OKW (you) in 1v1 automatch, making both of us happy with our choices and adding more diversity to the game :)
14 Dec 2017, 23:04 PM

Thank you for your replies and votes :)

Quick edit...

First, here are the gathered advantages so far:

- Faster automatching for most players, as some choose to search as random faction
- Everyone is happy, players who prefer a specific faction, and players who like to be surprised
- Slightly more faction diversity, working against faction fanboyism

As developers and community often strive to mitigate heavy one-sided faction fanboyism, we could implement a small reward for searching/playing as random faction in automatch. For example, a higher chance for more or better Spoil of War rewards (Commanders, skins, medals) etc. This way we could encourage players slightly to play with more (random) factions. In the end faction diversity is always better for a healthy community that is aiming to balance the game in the right way.
15 Dec 2017, 01:38 AM
Donator 11

This is one of the features that community is asking for since release. Or actually, many asked about this even before the release. It has not been implemented since and right now, there is even less possibility of this happening than ever. Of course I would love to see that feature in, but lets be realistic, it is not going to happen.
15 Dec 2017, 01:43 AM

I would be OK with it if it worked similar to the map veto system: let me pick which factions I want to be able to play as in the 'random pool'. Maybe I want to queue as Ost, USF and Sov, but not brit/OKW, or maybe just queue as random allies, or random everything.

As for 'loadout' pick, just have it pick whichever loadout you last selected. When you switch factions normally it picks the last-used loadout, so just use that system.
17 Dec 2017, 12:22 PM

I would be OK with it if it worked similar to the map veto system: let me pick which factions I want to be able to play as in the 'random pool'. Maybe I want to queue as Ost, USF and Sov, but not brit/OKW, or maybe just queue as random allies, or random everything.

As for 'loadout' pick, just have it pick whichever loadout you last selected. When you switch factions normally it picks the last-used loadout, so just use that system.

These are two great additional ideas to it, I must say.

17 Dec 2017, 12:37 PM

Throw a dice first, then pick a faction according to the result. Problem solved ;)
17 Dec 2017, 14:19 PM

Throw a dice first, then pick a faction according to the result. Problem solved ;)

Sometimes life's solutions are the easy ones :D will definitely consider it, thx mate
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 86
Philippines 1
unknown 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak