russian armor

Ask the Strategist!

PAGES (38)down
20 Mar 2015, 19:37 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2015, 18:17 PMkamk
Small question:
let's say you got a low health / entity squad, and you're capturing, or just need the vision, how do you avoid best getting wiped by any sort of tank fire.

Currently i just keep the unit moving, but is there any weakness in terms of tank accuracy, like going towards them?

Tanks have really bad accuracy against infantry and most hits are done by scatter. That said they'll have better accuracy the closer you get. So I would advise to move sideways related to the tank so you dodge scatter shots that go to the middle or right. But I think it has more a physiological efect than a real effect ingame :P
20 Mar 2015, 19:59 PM
Donator 11

Tanks have really bad accuracy against infantry and most hits are done by scatter. That said they'll have better accuracy the closer you get. So I would advise to move sideways related to the tank so you dodge scatter shots that go to the middle or right. But I think it has more a physiological efect than a real effect ingame :P

I can rarely see a difference, and that's why i'm asking how i can please the RNG gods :P

So basically stay as far away as possible? What if there's two cover options to lurk around in close proximity?
20 Mar 2015, 21:30 PM

There are some ways to "game" scatter but they're pretty hard to use.

AT weapons operate on a "hit" system. The game rolls a dice. If it hits then it hits no matter what gets in the way. The shot must connect. This is true for all shots in the game.

However like Sarantini says most tank shells use scatter and splash damage to hurt infantry.

Cover can actually really protect you from a Pz II "Luchs" because the shots will scatter into it and the explosive radius isn't often enough to get past cover. A stone wall or a sandbag wall built by Conscripts can avoid a lot of damage. Yellow cover and stuff that doesn't absorb shots very well will not protect you as much.

Hills and elevation are very important actually. A tank that is on a hill firing down at infantry will miss alot. Because if you're firing down hill and you scatter up then the shot goes flying way down the hill. The shot has to scatter close to the ground and even if it does it can hit the ground before it hits infantry.

Conversely you almost never want to attack a tank while moving downhill with infantry.

It's pretty easy to see these things happen. Get an ISU and use it on Hill 331. Play around in the middle. Bumps in the hill will absorb shots. Firing downhill can cause shots to scatter really far.

Let's boil it down though.

If you're trying to just survive a tank then get as far away as you can and put as many pieces of terrain in the way as well. Trucks, walls, trees, anything that could soak a shot. If the tank doesn't have a lot of splash damage then hug cover.
aaa
25 Mar 2015, 07:11 AM

What is the difference between rifle fire of cons and penals?
What is the best range for penals rifle? I know that cons are best at medium range.Thank you
25 Mar 2015, 13:16 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Cons and penals sort of overlap, but cons are better long range and penals are better short range, are decent mid range, and have a flamethrower

Penals have a semi auto rifle but aren't accurate at long range while cons have a bolt action and are somewhat better long range.

They really overlap too much to matter. If you get penals you probably want a anti infantry and anti building squad, while cons are good at At nade support, molotovs,and the OOOOOOOORAHHHHH, they also have merge

Whichever squad you pick depends on how you wanted to play that game.
5 Apr 2015, 15:51 PM

Am I missing out on not using the tactical map?
I find at the beginning yo can just give orders on the small minimap and later in the game it seems so cluttered.

But you can't select units :/
I use it if I want a fast overwatch of multiple battles on my screen - of if I wanna select a unit based on it's position on the minimap. It's not a needed thing, the tacmap. But for SOME players it helps so much. It's different how each player use it.

My case: Don't need it, rarely use it, but I DO use it :)
aaa
9 Apr 2015, 19:58 PM

Does guards anti armor rifle upgrade affects ptrs of conscripts? It is logical because they use the same weapon. Thank you.

I mean pre game little upgrade with 3 slots
9 Apr 2015, 21:00 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2015, 19:58 PMaaa
Does guards anti armor rifle upgrade affects ptrs of conscripts? It is logical because they use the same weapon. Thank you.

I mean pre game little upgrade with 3 slots

The bulletin? No,not unless the bulletin says "PTRS rifles have +20 penetration"

If its like "Guard rifles have 4% more accuracy" then it only affects guards.

Copy and paste the actual dialogue from the bulletin if that doesnt make sense
9 Apr 2015, 21:18 PM

How do you deal with M8A1 and Priest as OKW? When these are well microed, they brutalize me. Pak43 can deal with the former but I'm absolutely clueless on what to do with the latter. It seems all I can do is to parry the damage, hope that nothing else is attacking me and that a lucky shell won't fall on my Sturmpioneers repairing whatever HQ it is.

And a follow up question: How do you use them effectively? I rarely play Infantry Company and I can't recall a single instance where a Priest was particularly impressive under my command. I know about putting other units in for creeping barrage and leaving the thing when not firing it, but how do I get the best out of it?

Same for M8A1, when I use it it blows up really easily.
9 Apr 2015, 23:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

How do you deal with M8A1 and Priest as OKW? When these are well microed, they brutalize me. Pak43 can deal with the former but I'm absolutely clueless on what to do with the latter. It seems all I can do is to parry the damage, hope that nothing else is attacking me and that a lucky shell won't fall on my Sturmpioneers repairing whatever HQ it is.

And a follow up question: How do you use them effectively? I rarely play Infantry Company and I can't recall a single instance where a Priest was particularly impressive under my command. I know about putting other units in for creeping barrage and leaving the thing when not firing it, but how do I get the best out of it?

Same for M8A1, when I use it it blows up really easily.

Just like any other long range arty you cannot counter a priest as OKW without a deep Panther or Puma flank

The M8a1 is hard countered by a jagdpanzer,or pak40 in most cases/

When you use artillery make sure you get as close as safely possible in order to maximize accuracy and damage and,after using barrages,shift click the unit to reverse away so you dont forget about it and get it killed.
9 Apr 2015, 23:44 PM

Things that counter the M8A1 really well:

• Jagdpanzers - stealth and equal range means great ambushes on M8A1 when they come up to snipe
  • Jagdtiger - Jagdtiger out-ranges the M8A1, one-shots unless unlucky damaged engine/gun crit
  • Pak43 - For some awful reason the AT gun outranges the M8A1 unless it is vet3. GG artillery.
  • Panther - Durable and fast. Can dart in to scare M8A1s and sometimes kill.
  • Puma - A cheaper and more suicidal Panther. Not really good late game because Jackson two-shots it. Good as a fast response to early M8A1 though.

The key to using the M8A1 is to get one out before these counters can be feasibly fielded. An early M8A1 hits and starts building veterancy and wiping out infantry squads. Bleed his manpower by killing infantry and pressuring trucks. If you're some combination of lucky and playing well then you can wipe out a lot of OKW infantry and leave his late game tanks under-supported and easier to fend off. M8A1 before tanks is pretty good as long as you scout for Pak40s and protect it with Bazookas and AT grenade.

To keep your M8A1s safe screen them with infantry constantly. M8A1s are best when firing just behind a line of infantry. Alternatively use Pathfinders with their bonkers sight range to spot targets and barrage them without engaging.

Additionally M8A1s tend to work well in pairs. I find that one M8A1 is not enough to really do much.

As for Priests Cookies is basically right. A sneaky flank with a Puma or Panther is your only real option. Counter-barrage with a Walking Stuka doesn't really work, consistently, on either the M8A1 or the Priest. They can both take a rocket to the face and survive. You have to get two rockets to directly hit the enemy; something that is almost impossible unless they move into the second rocket while trying to flee your barrage.

I haven't the faintest fucking clue on how to get the Priest to kill shit. It's... and odd piece of artillery.
aaa
9 Apr 2015, 23:47 PM

Conscripts PTRS looks affected by guards AT rifle upgrade. Killing luchs with 4 cons looks faster than with no upgrade of guards AT rifle.
Short game
http://www.coh2.org/replay/33315/ptrs-looks-affected-by-guards-at-rifle-upgrade

Update: With that upgrade giving conscripts PTRS doubles squads value basicaly. Almost one shooting models. Very nice, and not OP, still can be countered
9 Apr 2015, 23:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2015, 23:47 PMaaa

Conscripts PTRS looks affected by guards AT rifle upgrade. Killing luchs with 4 cons looks faster than with no upgrade of guards AT rifle.
http://www.coh2.org/replay/33315/ptrs-looks-affected-by-guards-at-rifle-upgrade

It definitely was.
11 Apr 2015, 19:50 PM

can somebody tell me the exact data the ambush camouflage gives you? I know it will give you a boost on damage for 5 seconds, but how much does it boost?
11 Apr 2015, 21:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

can somebody tell me the exact data the ambush camouflage gives you? I know it will give you a boost on damage for 5 seconds, but how much does it boost?

50% extra damage for 5 seconds
11 Apr 2015, 22:52 PM

Thanks for that. 50% is kinda good, maybe i will give it a try.
aaa
11 Apr 2015, 23:41 PM

50% extra damage for 5 seconds

Are you serious sayng that some camouflage gives player adavantage. I thought it is just a skin. Thats why didnt use any camo.
Whats the best camo then?
12 Apr 2015, 00:34 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2015, 23:41 PMaaa

Are you serious sayng that some camouflage gives player adavantage. I thought it is just a skin. Thats why didnt use any camo.
Whats the best camo then?

Hes talking about the Ambush camoflauge(Ostheer Jaeger Infantry Commander),not the camoflauge you put on your Loadout. :D

You upgrade your units with this camo and when they fire out of camo they get 50% damage for 5 secs.
13 Apr 2015, 18:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

You meant the ambush camouflage from the ostheer doctrine for infantry right, not for soviet atguns?
14 Apr 2015, 10:58 AM

Off the top of my head I believe it is 1.5x Damage, Accuracy, and 2x Penetration. But don't quote me on that yet, I don't have access to the mod tools right now. I am pretty sure of the 1.5x damage bit though.

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to answer that but it really felt more like a game files related question. :)

Anyway, I came here to ask my own. How do you get the best out of mines? A lot of the time I simply forget about them; when I don't they rarely ever actually trigger on something valuable. I know they have massive potential like snaring a backpedalling Panther or completely de-tracking an IS-2 (Riegel Mines) making it dead for all intents and purposes, but I just don't seem to be able to get much out of them.

Follow up question: What's wrong with Riegel Mines? The Halftrack is great for field reinforcements and it is a very mobile mine planter, while the mine itself is at Teller-cost but having an AT gun when it goes off equals a dead tank, all for just 50 muni. So why don't people use them? I haven't seen anyone use them once, only I have used them in any of the games I've been in.
PAGES (38)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS