Login

russian armor

FBP EFA positions and issues

16 Aug 2017, 09:58 AM

Btw a fun fact about unit design and its realism in comparison to ww2 facts is that before the german invasion of the soviet union german main tank was panzer IV. It was after the pIVs clashed with newly manufactured t34s that they found out that pIV are inferior to t34 in almost every way. They couldnt even penetrate its armor because it was sloped. Based on t34 germany designed panther and tiger tank was supposed to match KV1s armor because KV1 unkillable for german tanks before that. So much for historical accuracy. Soviet tanks were actually on par or sometimes superior to german tanks while also being cheaper. To counter panthers and tigers soviets designed t34/85 which had all the cons of t34/76 like its mobility but was far better armored. It had a stronger gun which made it able to take head on german tanks being the best allied tank at that time.

Incorrect. The main tank at the time was the panzer III, ther wer some panzer iv's but they wer only armed with the short barreled cannon's and was designed to be an infantry support tank, the panzer III' job early on was to counter tanks which is why it struggled versus kv1's and t34's. But i dont see what ur point is
16 Aug 2017, 11:04 AM

i still dont get Your point.

Maybe the fact that soviet tanks were on par with the german ones while soviets also outproduced germans 5:1 on tanks. Maybe thats my point :) So no historically its not really accurate at all.

Also my point is that t34 was actually on par with p4 while still being cheaper. A good hit from t34/76 could take out p4, the other way around too p4 could get t34 with a good hit. Both tanks were rouglhy equal while t34 was cheaper to produce, had a better construction and so it was easier to maintenance, it was more reliable, faster, dont forget there were almost 4 times more t34/76 produced and over 5 times more t34/85 produced during the war in comparison to p4. Why is that not reflected in the game I have no clue at all. In the game t34/76 doesnt stand a chance vs p4 when in reality it was on par with it. :)

Also the worst trained tank crews were those of tiger tanks not t34. Also tiger engines often broke down and they lacked fuel all the time.
16 Aug 2017, 11:52 AM

Maybe the fact that soviet tanks were on par with the german ones while soviets also outproduced germans 5:1 on tanks. Maybe thats my point :) So no historically its not really accurate at all.

This was the situation in 41 and 42. Late 42 saw the first Tigers in action around Leningrad and the newly arrived Panzer IV F models with the longer barreled 75 mm guns. The CoH2 multiplayer is set in 1943-1945. The situation you describe isn't even a thing in this game. The production issue I will address below.

Also my point is that t34 was actually on par with p4 while still being cheaper. A good hit from t34/76 could take out p4, the other way around too p4 could get t34 with a good hit. Both tanks were rouglhy equal while t34 was cheaper to produce, had a better construction and so it was easier to maintenance, it was more reliable, faster, dont forget there were almost 4 times more t34/76 produced and over 5 times more t34/85 produced during the war in comparison to p4. Why is that not reflected in the game I have no clue at all. In the game t34/76 doesnt stand a chance vs p4 when in reality it was on par with it. :)

Yes a well organized T34-76s crew could definitely take out a Panzer IV. A T34-76 was however not in possession of a better construction than a Panzer IV. The German production values stood head and shoulder above that of the Russians, this is why the Russians could outproduce the Germans so easily. A Panzer IV was just as reliable as a T34-76, yet it required more care. Needing more care doesn't mean something isn't reliable. The more care factor actually makes things more reliable. The T34 was more rugged, I'll give it that. But the early 1941 and 1942 models had no on board radios, apart from the commander, and had overal poor visibility. Later a commander cupola would solve this problem and further radios solved the other issue too.

Now you complain about the factor that more T34s were produced in the war than Panzer IVs. This is correct and the game portrays this by giving you the cheapest medium tank in the game: T34-76s for 80 fuel. Even more so, the Panzer IV of the Ostheer costs 125 fuel whils the Panzer IV of the OKW costs 150 fuel. For an OKW Panzer IV, you can almost (10 fuel more needed) have 2 T34-76s. The same factor is seen on the Ostheer side, where the Stug III is the cheapest and most cost efficient armored fighting vehicle. This reflects the fact that the Stugs were the most produced German armored fighting vehicle in the war.

Also the worst trained tank crews were those of tiger tanks not t34. Also tiger engines often broke down and they lacked fuel all the time.

If you would actually educate yourself, you would see that the Tiger crews in 1943 and 1944 consisted of the most experienced and high skilled crews there were in the German tank forces. They were pulled from their normal units on the Eastern front in late 1942 to start training in the Tigers. They were selected on basis of experience, performance and character.

They broke down early in their lifespan, because they were rushed into production and service. This was fixed pretty early on actually. As for the fuel, this doesn't mean a thing for the actual fighting capabilities of a Tiger Tank. It outranged almost every Soviet tank in the war and didn't give a rat's ass about T34 shots unless they came closer than 250 meters on the sides and rear. A lot of TIger commanders simply put their tanks on top of vantage points and wipe T34s of the face of the earth from 1000+ meters away.

Perhaps you should read Otto Carius's Tigers in the Mud book. It is an interesting book on the life within a Tiger tank and the operational hierarchy and tactics.
16 Aug 2017, 22:51 PM

Tanks should all one shot each other in this game if you're going off of realism because engagement ranges are like <60m for pretty much all mediums and TDs.
17 Aug 2017, 05:49 AM

Oftentimes threads will derail into "muh realism" discussion but if you look just a little deep, of course there is almost zero realism in this game. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but seriously if it was real then tanks would die in one hit at the extremely close ranges they are always engaging at. Also the Jagdtiger/Sturmtiger/etc. would have a 50% chance to self-inflict engine damage every five minutes or something lol. And ofc you'd have t-34s out the ass, not just 5 or 6.

But anyhow the depiction of the KV-1 isn't horrible. It had been going up against panzer 3s and short-barreled panzer 4s (think command panzer), so that's why it was regarded as invincible. Then of course the updated panzer 4 you see in tier 3 and the panther in tier 4 with their updated weaponry could penetrate the KV-1.

I just wish the KV-1 wasn't in the doctrine because it becomes obsolete so quickly (and not even that great when it comes out as long as your opponent has a PaK which doesn't have a lot of trouble penning) but it can't even have a niche like the KV-8. I would love to have the KV-8 instead in that doctrine, combined that with For Mother Russia and you could pull off some really gross plays, you rely on su76/85/zis for your AT but at least KV-8s can melt infantry. Right now everything in the commander encourages this huge "counterattack", one big charge... but the KV-1 slowly rolls in like "hello I hit as hard as a t-34 but am also slower too please don't hurt me".

The whole point of a t-34/76 is to spam them and make use of their mobility to get to that rear armor to mitigate the low firepower of the 76mm. KV-1s feel like a Churchill, but if it were made of cardboard and couldn't actually take a lot of punishment. Also no grenades. Although I think the Churchill has a similar problem where really a Crocodile far overshadows a normal Churchill.
17 Aug 2017, 06:36 AM

Nothing says realism like being able to tank a 45mm shell, or multiple 20mm ones, or how certain individuals are capable of getting hit by 8cm mortars and rockets then sprint away... Almost like this is a game...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★