Login

russian armor

MG42 vs. Maxim after 30th of July.

VRL
2 Aug 2013, 11:39 AM

With the recent changes to Heavy Machine Guns:

HMG Suppression Modifiers.

HMG teams no longer function efficiently while pinned. This discourages tactics such as moving a HMG team into a setup HMG team unless on the flank. Pinned HMG squads now have the following modifiers applied to their squad:
• Weapon accuracy is now reduced by 75%
• Weapons reload has been increased by 100%
• Weapon cooldown has been increased by 100%
• Weapon scatter has been increased by 320%
• The Maxim HMG now properly has its movement reduced while suppressed

I was just in a match on Minsk Pocket. I was pushing down the middle of the map.

His MG42 started firing on my conscript squad, that was suppressed and pinned as expected. However I flanked with my Maxim, set it up so that it was perpendicular to the fire on my conscript squad (The MG42 was the right angle in a right angled triangle, with the conscripts and maxim being the other 2 corners).

My Maxim fired - and suppressed the MG42, the MG42 turned - fired on the Maxim. At this point - I would like to think "I have won this fight." But as it happened: The MG42 Suppressed my Maxim, and then pinned it before my Maxim could pin the MG42 - Even though the Maxim got the first burst off.

The player I was playing against to my memory did not have the +10% Suppression Bulletin, and I did. However I still lost this fight.

Unfortunately, I tried to save the replay but there was an error and it couldn't be saved. :/

In short - the HMG Changes were welcome, but is this working as intended if an MG42 can win a fight after being suppressed?

EDIT: This is in no way a whine: I'm curious as to whether this is working as intended - and confirmation then that I can't use this strategy to deal with MG42s.

Also neither of the HMGs were in any form of cover.
2 Aug 2013, 12:08 PM

From the videos the devs showed, in the situation where an MG42 and a Maxim face off, an a Maxim fires first, it should win. After a long time.

It's possible that if they set it up right they could still win. From what I saw, the dev let his MG42 be suppressed by the time he even set it up. If you do it on the edge of the arc you might have received little enough suppression damage, allowing you to out-suppression the Maxim.
2 Aug 2013, 12:34 PM

Permanently Banned
From my understanding, the Maxim will still eventually win out against the MG due to higher DPS and the lower hp pool of the MG crew.
2 Aug 2013, 16:47 PM

MG42's pin faster than HMG's i believe. Maybe its still possible for the HMG to fire first but still get pinned first if the MG42 responds quick enough.

either way i find HMG's a bit less effective nowadays. Not really sure of its role at this point. It still can get bum rushed pretty easily by a couple squads and because rifle nades fire so far it doesn't have the lasting power.
2 Aug 2013, 20:57 PM

Maybe hte MAxim needs a suppression buff, it feels so weak when trying to suppress though i do understand it is not an HMG42 but it still does not fit quite right.
2 Aug 2013, 22:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Aug 2013, 20:57 PMCrells
Maybe hte MAxim needs a suppression buff, it feels so weak when trying to suppress though i do understand it is not an HMG42 but it still does not fit quite right.

Ya maxim suppresses real slow now and units lose suppression quickly after maxim stops shooting at them, while mg42 practically instasuppresses and the suppression lasts for a good while after the mg42 stops firing at them.

Maxim doesn't suppress masses of units like it used to, often it is easy for one or two to get out of cone of fire before being suppressed if three units or more units come at maxim. Units in green cover seem to be able to sit in cone of fire without being surpassed, or taking any big amount of damage, for like a minute. Sometimes I'll have a bunch of units come towards maxim get some get suppressed some don't then I go look someplace else and come back and the units are all out of suppression still in the cone of fire.

Maxim suppression could use a look at. Not saving it needs a buff just it may be a little to weak atm compared to the close to the instasuppression German mg. (even worse if they use bulletin buffing suppression because it is instapin.)

2 Aug 2013, 22:35 PM

Maxims have more DPS and more models. This is why they are less effective at suppression.
2 Aug 2013, 22:36 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I think they should look at the mg42 suppression instead of the maxim.
Also as you said the suppression lasts too long after the mg stops firing
2 Aug 2013, 22:59 PM

I think this has been said like a million times but replays really help to determine if something is actually wrong.
2 Aug 2013, 23:13 PM

The little bit of extra DPS the Maxim has is pointless. You don't buy an HMG for DPS, you buy it to suppress infantry. In a game you see a dropped Maxim and MG42 lying side by side. Can anyone honestly say they'd ever crew the Maxim over the MG42?
2 Aug 2013, 23:32 PM

This thread is pointless without a replay.
3 Aug 2013, 04:18 AM

This thread is pointless without a replay.

Did you crap ever being NOT pointless?
3 Aug 2013, 04:57 AM

Urrrrrgh Please for the love of god "your" not you, unsults with bad spelling annoys the crap outa me
3 Aug 2013, 05:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2013, 04:57 AMCrells
Urrrrrgh Please for the love of god "your" not you, unsults with bad spelling annoys the crap outa me

Dude, was that a bad joke or an irony fail?
3 Aug 2013, 05:11 AM

If you have kept up with my posts you would probably understand it was a joke :P

The ammount of crazy going through this forum in the last week has made m go a tad crazy to be perfectly honest.
3 Aug 2013, 06:06 AM

Sense of humour helps. :)
3 Aug 2013, 06:16 AM

I forget how hard it is to read emotions sometimes:P making hand gestures while posting only serves to illistrate it to me !
3 Aug 2013, 06:26 AM

Permanently Banned
helps when you mean what you say, and say what you mean.
3 Aug 2013, 07:00 AM

Jokes are often quite dull if you do that though nullist.
3 Aug 2013, 07:03 AM

Permanently Banned
also helps if your jokes are actually funny, or even remotely resemble a joke, rather than being a snide piss on someone.

but im outta here. do what you want.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS