Login

russian armor

Golradaer - NorthWestFresh, BasiloneReborn, Modezarr, JustBo

26 Jul 2013, 17:50 PM

I haven't mentored for quite a few years, so I think this will be fun. I'm Peter, 24 years old and from Arizona. I played vCoH a lot from launch to the release of OF, and not really at all after that, but CoH2 has kept my interest and I think it's moving in the right direction. I also wrote the multiplayer content in Prima's official CoH2 eGuide.

In the last few months I've been playing far more team games than 1v1s, but that's been changing recently.

Many of you seem to be pretty experienced players so we should have some interesting discussions.

Here's what we'll do:

1. I'll first watch several replays from each of you. Please post 3-5 replays in which you lost or barely won. I want to get a feel for how you play in a variety of situations.

2. You write up a short analysis of your play overall, strengths and weaknesses.

3. I will expand on what you've written based on your games. Also, I'll point out a few things I'd like you to specifically focus on.

4. You continue to post replays in which you struggled or about which you have tactical/strategic queries along with a self-analysis of your play and I'll comment on them.

This process will repeat until you have reached your desired level of play.

We can and very likely will also play games and watch replays together over Mumble (on an ad hoc basis), but as replay reviews can be done asynchronously, they can keep us moving forward regardless of scheduling. Add me on Steam (Golradaer from Arizona) and feel free to message me at any time. If you guys are interested in watching replays as a group, let me know and we can set it up -- I think this could be fun.

There are a lot of resources from CoH1 that are relevant, so I'll post up links to them over the next week as I search through my bookmarks.
26 Jul 2013, 18:38 PM

Hey man, I'm not going to be back till Sunday, but I'm looking forward to this :D me and Basilone have been playing together so doing some group replays would be fun and not to hard to co-ordinate. I also just set up my stream last night(fun stuff) so I am sure that will be helpful.
28 Jul 2013, 00:07 AM
Donator 11

I'm Filippo, I'm 37 from Italy, I have been playing CoH since the beginning. I played a lot of 2v2 games, especially on random automatch and with a friend, that is on vacancy and he didn't buy the game, but maybe he'll do, I don't now.
On CoH2 I used to play just 50 games as WM, mostly 3v3 or 4v4, always with random people, and I watched many games in streaming.
I don't have much time, because actually I'm pretty busy at work, and I want spend my free time playing. I'm available, if you have time, to play some games. You can provide hints during the game play, suggesting strategies and raising my mistakes and we can watch the replays after the game, but I'm confident I can improve just follow your hints, because I played many games and I saw a lot of pro games and I have beaten many good players.
On CoH2 I'm still a noob, but we are talking about the same game. I still don't know the maps (the 2v2) and I never used the russians, but watching replays I know them pretty well.
I need someone, that is a best player than me, and you are, to establish per map strategy with both factions and play within to build a team.
28 Jul 2013, 02:51 AM

Hey Gol, I'm Austin, 19 years old from Georgia. I'm working on getting some replays but wasn't able to get any good games tonight. I've been playing mostly 2v2 also but I will try and get some 1v1s in since that is a easier way to improve. I think my main weakness is often getting too preoccupied trying to out micro my opponent and I end up making some bad decisions because I'm so determined to win the game with my M&K. ;)
29 Jul 2013, 04:00 AM

Here is a replay vs Cataclaw after he had beaten me twice in a row (didnt save those replays) although I won I think it was a tough battle for me

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5942/northwestfresh-vs-cataclaw
29 Jul 2013, 04:27 AM

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5944/northwestfresh-vs-kramer

Another replay agian a win but I feel it could have gone either way just like the Cataclaw game I was pushed to my abilities limits in both these games I think. Ill start saving my losses more often which I dont do much cause I like to win lol
29 Jul 2013, 09:22 AM

Here is a replay vs Cataclaw after he had beaten me twice in a row (didnt save those replays) although I won I think it was a tough battle for me

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5942/northwestfresh-vs-cataclaw

I was surprised by how aggressive Cataclaw was throughout this game, especially with his tanks. He had a strong advantage going into the mid game, but then you started playing conservatively and he lost units every time he tried to attack you. It looked like he was trying to knock you out, but each time he'd just lose his P4s to SU-85s. You did a good job of not over-extending and especially of conserving your SU-85s -- that won you the game. I'd be interested to see whether you're as conservative when you're in Cataclaw's position -- it's often very tempting to do exactly what he did, but highly risky. Better would have been forcing you to go on the offensive against him and using his munitions/fuel advantage to significantly outnumber your SU-85s before making any attempt to definitively destroy them.

Why did you choose to go with a fast tier 2 start? This map is so large and open that it's generally going to be an inferior choice to a 3 Conscript into T2 build order, especially because it's so easy to contain if the Germans tech to T2 as soon as they notice it (after three T1 units or so). You dealt with the Flammenwerfer effectively, but Cataclaw created the opportunity in being so careless with his vehicles -- conservative Flammenwerfer and Scout Car play would have shut down your map control until you had SU-85s.

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5944/northwestfresh-vs-kramer

Another replay again a win but I feel it could have gone either way just like the Cataclaw game I was pushed to my abilities limits in both these games I think. Ill start saving my losses more often which I dont do much cause I like to win lol

Unlike the Cataclaw game, I thought that you had solid control over this one. Tier 3 was a major risk here for you. If you look at your opponent's fuel count, he had enough to build a Panzer IV right as you were building a T-70, but he delayed in putting up his T3 building.

Recommendations
I watched your stream earlier and I think I know why you would begin to notice more difficulties in the late game, as you noted in the other thread. I didn't see you use control groups, I saw you use the tactical map very often, and I didn't see you use hotkeys to produce units. The result was you were often giving idle units movement/capture orders on the tac map when you should have been microing your units in fights and I noticed resource float at various points. I imagine you would feel almost frantic once you have ten or more units fighting in multiple locations around the map.

My recommendation is to practice assigning every unit its own control group until you have more than nine units, and to select units solely by pressing number keys. Also practice restructuring your control group assignments throughout games as your unit composition changes. As Soviets, I generally have 1 Engineer, 2-4 Conscripts, and 5-8 changing between Guards/HMGs/AT guns/Mortars, assuming I'm using a T2 strat. Later in a game it becomes less important to give Engineers their own control groups, and any units you won't be controlling much (e.g., HMGs left to defend things) don't need them.

This control style allows you to reinforce units that are at your HQ while you're watching a battle in case you need to dodge a grenade, move a vehicle, or respond to some new development. It also allows you to give units capping orders using the minimap instead of the tac map. One disadvantage of the tac map is you lose track of your resources, but the major reason to avoid it is you can't view the tactical situation apart from which units are engaged.

I thought you did a good job of microing units and making solid tactical/strategic decisions in the areas where you were focusing, but you were often trying so hard to control everything at once that you couldn't devote the attention necessary to individual units in late game fights, so developing stronger and faster control over your army will benefit you most.
29 Jul 2013, 10:51 AM

I often try to use control groups but I forget to use them after I create the group lol, I will start trying as you say though I can see the Benefits of just selecting you group and reinforcing that way as well as pulling him out of his base.

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5954/northwestfresh-vs-keonig
30 Jul 2013, 19:01 PM

I'm Filippo, I'm 37 from Italy, I have been playing CoH since the beginning. I played a lot of 2v2 games, especially on random automatch and with a friend, that is on vacancy and he didn't buy the game, but maybe he'll do, I don't now.
On CoH2 I used to play just 50 games as WM, mostly 3v3 or 4v4, always with random people, and I watched many games in streaming.
I don't have much time, because actually I'm pretty busy at work, and I want spend my free time playing. I'm available, if you have time, to play some games. You can provide hints during the game play, suggesting strategies and raising my mistakes and we can watch the replays after the game, but I'm confident I can improve just follow your hints, because I played many games and I saw a lot of pro games and I have beaten many good players.
On CoH2 I'm still a noob, but we are talking about the same game. I still don't know the maps (the 2v2) and I never used the russians, but watching replays I know them pretty well.
I need someone, that is a best player than me, and you are, to establish per map strategy with both factions and play within to build a team.

Please do this first. It'd also be useful if you stream a few games -- just post a link to your stream here.

1. I'll first watch several replays from each of you. Please post 3-5 replays in which you lost or barely won. I want to get a feel for how you play in a variety of situations.

2. You write up a short analysis of your play overall, strengths and weaknesses.

30 Jul 2013, 19:52 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Ahah :D Ciao Filippo e benvenuto! Golradaer è un ottimo mentore, ti troverai benissimo con lui!

( Ahah :D Hi Filippo and welcome! Golradaer is a great mentor, you'll spend some great time with him! )
1 Aug 2013, 07:04 AM

http://www.coh2.org/replays/6078/northwestfresh-vs-basilonereborn

Here is a game between me and Basilone kinda a long one and entertianing in my Oppinion anxious to hear your thoughts.

I am trying to work on the Control Groups like you said but I am not having much luck I have no problems making the groups but I cant seem to remember to use them or change them up so that they are convienant. Sometimes I feel like there is a fog over my brain and I get so absorbed in the game I cant think, its tunnel vision and Its really holding me back I know it is. Maybe you have some suggestions on how to train for control groups that will help me get it going in the right direction. I want very badly to improve my game and be able to compete but sometimes I get discouraged and think about quitting because I have not seemed to improve in 2 years+ I really need you help Peter. I am very happy that you are my Mentor
1 Aug 2013, 22:05 PM
Donator 11

Ahah :D Ciao Filippo e benvenuto! Golradaer è un ottimo mentore, ti troverai benissimo con lui!

( Ahah :D Hi Filippo and welcome! Golradaer is a great mentor, you'll spend some great time with him! )

Ciao Marcus, grazie del benvenuto! :-)

Hello Marcus, thank you!
1 Aug 2013, 22:12 PM
Donator 11

Please do this first. It'd also be useful if you stream a few games -- just post a link to your stream here.

Did the replay system change? I saved a pair of replays and I can't find them! I read somewhere I must use Fraps or Twitch to record them: is that true?

Oh, I got this: http://www.coh2.org/guides/4164/how-to-watch-replays

The path is changed, I was looking under steam folder.
2 Aug 2013, 12:05 PM

Hi Golradaer, hi everyone. Sry for being late. I was in holiday and spent some time at the coast of the Netherlands. On monday I´ll be back at home. Then we could talk a bit.
I have seen our time zones are not similar. You are at -5, I am at +1. But I think we will find a way to keep in contact. I am not that guy going to bed very early. ;-)

Just a few words of me: I am Steven from Germany and I am 29 years old. I´ve been playing CoH since approx. 2006. Mostly I´ve played 2v2, 2v2 random, many 2v2 AT games with my clan mates. My best position in 2v2 AT was lvl 13 with about 50-60 wins to 10-15 losses with Allies (without Roos and Staghounds ;) ). I was playing axis and allies. I can´t count the games I´ve played. It have to be over 10000 and many more.

At CoH 2 I like to play axis. But I want to improve my Russian play, too. I dont´t like playing 1v1. I am bored while playing that. I need a mate with whom I can have fun.
But If you (Golradaer) want to see me playing 1v1, I will play it. :-)

Golradaer, what kind of replay do you wish? 1v1, 2v2, 4v4...?

(my English is not the best)

-Steven-

2 Aug 2013, 17:59 PM
Donator 11

HI Stephen, since we both GMT+1, we are "under the hood" of the same mentor, and last but not least we like play 2v2, we can make some games together and post them here. Add me to your friend list, if you want. Bye, Filippo.
2 Aug 2013, 19:46 PM

Hi Golradaer, hi everyone. Sry for being late. I was in holiday and spent some time at the coast of the Netherlands. On monday I´ll be back at home. Then we could talk a bit.
I have seen our time zones are not similar. You are at -5, I am at +1. But I think we will find a way to keep in contact. I am not that guy going to bed very early. ;-)

Just a few words of me: I am Steven from Germany and I am 29 years old. I´ve been playing CoH since approx. 2006. Mostly I´ve played 2v2, 2v2 random, many 2v2 AT games with my clan mates. My best position in 2v2 AT was lvl 13 with about 50-60 wins to 10-15 losses with Allies (without Roos and Staghounds ;) ). I was playing axis and allies. I can´t count the games I´ve played. It have to be over 10000 and many more.

At CoH 2 I like to play axis. But I want to improve my Russian play, too. I dont´t like playing 1v1. I am bored while playing that. I need a mate with whom I can have fun.
But If you (Golradaer) want to see me playing 1v1, I will play it. :-)

Golradaer, what kind of replay do you wish? 1v1, 2v2, 4v4...?

(my English is not the best)

-Steven-

You can post whatever type of replay you like so long as it's a close game and you want to know how you could have played better during it.

I'm here to help you increase your playing skill to reach your goal; if that means becoming better in team games that's fine.
2 Aug 2013, 20:15 PM

http://www.coh2.org/replays/6078/northwestfresh-vs-basilonereborn

Here is a game between me and Basilone kinda a long one and entertianing in my Oppinion anxious to hear your thoughts.

I am trying to work on the Control Groups like you said but I am not having much luck I have no problems making the groups but I cant seem to remember to use them or change them up so that they are convienant. Sometimes I feel like there is a fog over my brain and I get so absorbed in the game I cant think, its tunnel vision and Its really holding me back I know it is. Maybe you have some suggestions on how to train for control groups that will help me get it going in the right direction. I want very badly to improve my game and be able to compete but sometimes I get discouraged and think about quitting because I have not seemed to improve in 2 years+ I really need you help Peter. I am very happy that you are my Mentor

I think I tried to watch this and got a sync error, I'll give it another shot.

For training, you're probably focusing too much on winning games than practicing your fundamentals. Have you played any sports? The basic drills you might do during practice create the habits that you use during games, and the same holds true for CoH.

The first thing I would do is practice in a low-stakes setting against the AI. If you haven't played the campaign or finished all of the Theater of War scenarios, those are good options for getting accustomed to using control groups without worrying about losing. While doing this, stop using the tactical map entirely. Just don't open it, ever. This will force you to find other ways to give your units commands which will mean using control groups. At various points in the battle, force yourself to pause and consider the situation and your use of control groups. Maybe it's when you build a new production building/tech up, or satisfy an objective (if it's campaign).

On a related note, be sure that you're using the grid-keys setup for hotkeys, that all of the fingers on your left hand are always on the ASDF keys unless they're pressing nearby hotkeys, that you're using the F1 through F5 keys to select production buildings, and hotkeys to produce units, retreat units, and use all unit abilities. Basically, your left hand should be constantly doing things like pressing 4 to select a control group and then giving it a movement order with your mouse (clicking on the minimap to give it long distance orders or capping orders), then pressing F1 to select your HQ, then Q to build Conscripts, then double tapping 2 to center your camera on a different control group and perhaps pressing Z/X/C to use one of the unit's abilities. Your mouse should be used almost entirely for giving movement orders, attack orders, and moving your camera around, while avoiding clicking buttons with it as much as possible.

Starcraft 2 places far more of an emphasis on rapid control of units and production buildings than CoH2, so it's a great source of information about refining your mechanics. Here are a few links to useful Starcraft 2 content. Obviously, some of the things won't apply, but it's a good way to learn optimal RTS mechanics and these lessons transfer to any RTS you might play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUohpQKVf_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKPDKtK4IMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6nG0AaBl1A
2 Aug 2013, 20:40 PM

You need to stop being extremelly rude when losing. Pathetic.

NorthWestFresh
2 Aug 2013, 20:47 PM

You need to stop being extremelly rude when losing. Pathetic.

Who are you talking about?

As a broader point, poor sportsmanship is the worst quality a player can have and should be addressed before worrying about increasing in skill.
3 Aug 2013, 00:19 AM
Donator 11

Hi Golraeder, here a 1v1 against Silent, playing as axis. I think I had a very good start, then he spammed mortars, I lost my AC like a noob, and I did many mistake. I could do better. I think the problem is that sometimes I'm not able to manage too much units at the same time. for example when I lost my AC I was watching elsewhere. Like you suggested to NorthWestFresh, I should use groups to change from one squad to another. I did in the past, but then I stopped for a while and I forgot to use them.
Anyway, this is the: replay.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS