Login

russian armor

Beating OKW 1v1 with UKF

20 May 2016, 05:39 AM

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I feel the same way I did when playing post-nerf coh1 brits, that your opponent has to screw a few things up in the early and mid game for you to have a chance.

If I go T1 heavy by making a carrier, not only is it not gonna have munitions to start being useful before he has schreks and/or a raketenwerfer, but it gets instagibbed by those and either or both are a 100% certainty every game even if you don't make a carrier. Kubel is like a PE kettenkrad (ie. it autowins the early game against UKF) except that when it's done establishing map control over you it can also harass you with its gun. You have no way to clear garrisons or really create a "safe zone" in the area of the map that you have to concentrate your forces in before you get a mortar pit up, but it takes time and a ton of manpower to make it for a unit that can't move, defend itself, or help out beyond its range. Then you need to get an AEC out, just to defend against the luchs, but it can't chase it down because of schrek and/or raketen support and doesn't do anything against infantry in general (which all have schreks anyway, except for the sturmpioneers that are busy mining the map up with the resource advantage he has).

It's gg from there because you are simply overwhelmed by his units that already have answers for whatever futile measures you try to employ. If you tech to a cromwell he just beats it up with his AT, assuming it doesn't get destroyed by hitting a mine. If you get more infantry he simply makes a flak HQ that locks down part of the map so they can't cap it and 1-2 obersoldaten. In fact he can do both of those things. And because of him having most of the map since the start of the game, he has more resources than you so if you thought you could just hold off his luchs investment and try to come back, you're wrong. He's going to get more advanced units out. And then he's going to make your life even more miserable when he picks a commander.

I feel like I should start playing some other faction instead. But I don't wanna go back to Soviets, I'm tired of deadening my creativity, spamming maxims for years with the requisite commanders. Maybe Ost or USF...
Kri
20 May 2016, 07:31 AM

Dont take my word but I always go the following build. I only use it in 2vs2 but i have seen good players use it in 1vs1 too.

IS (starting unit)
IS
Vickers

Use these units to cap and hold your ground, be passive. If you are gonna get caught by sturmpioneers in the open, you are gonna have a bad time. Be able to support a unit with another unit fast.

Sappers
Mortar pit - Behind shotblockers ofc, not next to a house where your opponent can just incendiary nade + schrecks from the house. Try to cover it with your MG too. Mine the flanks.
AEC - My favorite brit unit, and I started using it after the nerf. IMO, its good against anything when it comes out. Kite volks, dont feed vet to schrecks. Dont let the luchs get behind u. Even take out an unsupported Puma if you opponents makes a mistake. If you face a threat, pop smoke and get out.(Learn the hotkey for this one!)
20 May 2016, 11:16 AM

why isnt this in the strat section
20 May 2016, 11:23 AM

why isnt this in the strat section

Cause I didn't check the forum properly before posting. Thought everything was in the coh2 central (since that's what it says). Doh, I guess.
20 May 2016, 11:30 AM
Patrion 14

moved to ukf strat section.
20 May 2016, 11:46 AM

Playing brits one must have excellent positioning skills. Also, OKW demands good pre-combat awareness of winning chances. It's a tough job. Like Kri said, UKF at the start should worry less about harassing and more about making a "secure zone of control". Mining is essential vs. luchs, since usually OKW players get aggro-happy with it and you can get a nice win with a good trap.
20 May 2016, 12:18 PM

Playing brits one must have excellent positioning skills. Also, OKW demands good pre-combat awareness of winning chances. It's a tough job. Like Kri said, UKF at the start should worry less about harassing and more about making a "secure zone of control". Mining is essential vs. luchs, since usually OKW players get aggro-happy with it and you can get a nice win with a good trap.

Yeah, with my long experience playing brits in coh1 I'm all too familiar with the safe zone concept and that's what I try to do. The problem is it plays into his hands since then he gets the map, but you can't do anything about that anyway. He will cap the map with his kubelwagen and just try to obstruct your infantry, not necessarily looking to beat them but just harass them, occupy them, take buildings just so you have to go through the pain of clearing them rather than because he needs them. If you don't get a mortar pit or wasp then he can stall you in this way forever until he has his schrek blob and luchs which will beat your aec + infantry, and if it somehow didn't, he just comes back with some obersoldaten that focus fire your machine guns if they still haven't been squad wiped yet and gg. If you do make them, he can zerg the mortar pit and just shoot the wasp.

The problem really stems from the superior map control that the kubelwagen gets him. Then the lesser problem is that his mid game is simply more effective at beating yours than vice versa even if he for some lunatic reason wouldn't make a kubel, and there is no way to tech away from it both since his T0 alone beats all your vehicles and because teching to T2 and having enough fuel for a tank is just not gonna happen in anything of a timely fashion with the resource advantage he has.
20 May 2016, 12:38 PM

Yeah, with my long experience playing brits in coh1 I'm all too familiar with the safe zone concept and that's what I try to do. The problem is it plays into his hands since then he gets the map, but you can't do anything about that anyway. He will cap the map with his kubelwagen and just try to obstruct your infantry, not necessarily looking to beat them but just harass them, occupy them, take buildings just so you have to go through the pain of clearing them rather than because he needs them. If you don't get a mortar pit or wasp then he can stall you in this way forever until he has his schrek blob and luchs which will beat your aec + infantry, and if it somehow didn't, he just comes back with some obersoldaten that focus fire your machine guns if they still haven't been squad wiped yet and gg. If you do make them, he can zerg the mortar pit and just shoot the wasp.

The problem really stems from the superior map control that the kubelwagen gets him. Then the lesser problem is that his mid game is simply more effective at beating yours than vice versa even if he for some lunatic reason wouldn't make a kubel, and there is no way to tech away from it both since his T0 alone beats all your vehicles and because teching to T2 and having enough fuel for a tank is just not gonna happen in anything of a timely fashion with the resource advantage he has.

I know how you feel.IMO you should skip the AEC to get a faster cromwell out.Play brits like you do with ostheer, go for nasty tactics aka sniper and/or emplacements.The only build that is going to win you games reliably is still 1 HMG - IS - tech - Sniper - engie(mines) - AT-gun - units that u need to adapt - tech - cromwell(centaur in some cases).
Other builds work to some degree but will do better after the June patch,just wait :)

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★