Login

russian armor

[1v1] Soviet vs OKW

3 May 2016, 20:29 PM

Hey, I wonder if I could get some advice on this replay please. I know its a bit long, but the bit I want to focus on is around 30-40 minute mark. So maybe skip through to that? Although I would gladly take advice on any part of the game...

Here is my thought process
Went Shocks to counter his infantry that scared me
I had good map control, was at pop cap
KT came and wrecked my face
Failed totally to deal with the luchs

I am still learning CoH2 so did not read the situation well i guess. What should I have done to prepare for KT - 3x AT guns and mines I guess?

4 May 2016, 17:49 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Working on it.

Sorry this is going to be a while, some stuff came up.
4 May 2016, 17:59 PM

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.
6 May 2016, 02:28 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

Sorry it's a bit late, had some stuff going on.

I will start by saying I think this is a horrible map, and playing Sov vs OKW here heavily benefits OKW. Long ranges on the fuels are good for volks. Walls make the map choke pointey as hell and are good for Sturms. The map is really spread out and the vision blockers all over the mid really restrict mobility, which is especially important for Soviets.

I know you wanted advice for the 30 min mark, but you had already lost the game by then.

You teched up waaaay too late. The luchs just ripped you apart and you had nothing to stop it with. You need to have gotten a t70 out or more than one AT-gun. There is no possible way to push out with only cons on a map like this against a luchs unless your opponent makes a huge mistake. With only 1 at gun he can just move around it and take the rest of the map. You should have been trying to kill it quickly. You were also trying to play aggressive with infantry while a luchs was on the field with no support. You can't do that, it ended when you pushed to far and he wiped 2 cons on retreat with the luchs because you were so far from base. Unless you get a t-70 or SU-76 or something else to push with you will need to play conservatively against a luchs.

You also need to work on paying attention to your squads more. Once you got to the late game with many squads you started blobbing much more, and leaving squads around. It's not worth making so much infantry if you can't handle it, it's clear your micro is not cut out for so many units. You might want to practice more before trying con strategies, maybe try Ostheer or brits, they have the least amount of units usually. Once the game got going you lost a lot of units from just not paying attention, sending them off and having them just walk past the enemy and die. You should be using attack-move commands if you are sending squads long distances. Grid-keys layout will help with using hotkeys better. I recommend you switch early so you can get used to it.

When you got shocks out you weren't using them very efficiently, they are only good at really close range. Don't try to fight falls from mid range. Get up in that ass. Spread your shocks out too if you have more than 1. They are more efficient alone than together, they are already going to rape everything at close range. Better to be coming in at multiple angles or cutting off retreat paths. Pretty hard on this map, but eh.

So you teched up and got a late SU-85. That's fine, but you could have had it way sooner to deal with the luchs. Then you got the t-34/76. You should pretty much never get this unit, it's a piece of shit. It can be effective if you get it out super early, but you were not ahead enough to do this. It's a waste of popcap and fuel. Speaking of popcap:

Look at that float... man. You can't be sitting on 320 fuel ans 1.2k manpower.... Throw your t-34 away at this point to free up popcap and get an IS-2. I would have thrown away a maxim too, you have infantry superiority and need the popcap. With the amount of resources you have you could have had 2 SU-85s and an IS2. King Tiger won't be able to touch you.

There was also the engagement with the KT. You had nothing to kill it with, a complete waste. Lost all your infantry there too. Ignore it until you have something that can kill it. 1 SU-85 can't 1v1 a kt, and that t34/76 isn't ever going to pen that thing.

No reason to follow up with the IS2 alone either. You can't 1v1 a kt with it when he has support around.

Random tips:
- Use grid keys
- Use attack move
- With maxims you should be manually targeting squads. If a blob of 3 units enters the cone, it will just fire at the closest one there. Will take forever to suppress the others that way. Once one squad is suppressed tell it to attack another one, they usually suppress each in one burst.
- Get light vehicles
- Have something to focus on, once you got the SU-85 you could have destroyed his t4. Rotate your whole force to the other fuel and make a big push, he was saving for KT so had nothing to stop you with. Use a flare from your mortar and shoot it with su-85 and Zis. Hold off volks and Rakettens with maxim and mortars.
- Expect the luchs when he has no healing by 5 mins. If you see hurt squads that you know retreated, 4/5 times he will get a luchs out.
- Use shock smoke to push mgs, use mortar flare to see stuff. You had so many munitions you could just spam them everywhere.
6 May 2016, 07:46 AM

Wow, that is super detailed, thank you for taking the time to write this dude. A lot to digest here, I know my problem is a mix of poor execution/micro, and a lack of understanding of the strategic big picture. This has really helped me understand what I am doing wrong, and whilst some of it is easier to fix than other bits (I got an old man brain, my micro will always be shocking) it gives me a good place to start from. Thanks Tobis!
aaa
20 May 2016, 08:40 AM

veto this map is the best start
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment