Login

russian armor

How the heck does the matchmaker work?

25 Apr 2016, 20:09 PM

I used to think the matchmaker tried its best to get you balanced matches, but now I'm not so sure anymore. No matter how many times I lose with ostheer it seems to give me opponents that completely demolish me. They have way superior micro and many more matches played. Despite having 20-25 stats my last match was against a guy who destroyed me in 10 minutes and that's only because I didn't quit after the first few encounters when it was clear that I had no chance to win.

Before you ask, no, it didn't take long to find the match, about a minute or so. There are about 8K+ players online atm so it's probably peak time.
25 Apr 2016, 20:16 PM

I would also like a answer to this, while iam close to the top ladder wise iam not that high in rank and i often find myself aginst top 25 and 50 players like Von Ivam...... Do i win sure but its often after a extreme last 10 vp points 49 min 1v1 where one zook/piat/ptrd/shreck round could end it or save it! After of which i need a smoke and i dont even smoke!
25 Apr 2016, 20:23 PM

You can't keep playing against people in your rank all the time for 2 very good reasons.

First, you will never improve if you keep playing on your "level"

and second, not always people on your rank will be available, so you need to face people from different ranks.
25 Apr 2016, 20:30 PM
25 Apr 2016, 20:30 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2016, 20:16 PMGenObi
I would also like a answer to this, while iam close to the top ladder wise iam not that high in rank and i often find myself aginst top 25 and 50 players like Von Ivam...... Do i win sure but its often after a extreme last 10 vp points 49 min 1v1 where one zook/piat/ptrd/shreck round could end it or save it! After of which i need a smoke and i dont even smoke!

If you win or loose with the difference of 10vps it means that matchmaker did its job perfectly. Its exactly kind of match it is designed to deliver.
25 Apr 2016, 20:33 PM

If you win or loose with the difference of 10vps it means that matchmaker did its job perfectly. Its exactly kind of match it is designed to deliver.

But i want easy games thats why i pick okw :)
25 Apr 2016, 20:36 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2016, 20:33 PMGenObi

But i want easy games thats why i pick okw :)

If you want easy games you either need to stop using match maker, or smurf. Apart from that you can also drop in some matches to lower your elo. There is no other way, it will always stabilise on the level you currently play on, and playing like noob just to loose a match or 2 is stupid.

I used to think the matchmaker tried its best to get you balanced matches, but now I'm not so sure anymore. No matter how many times I lose with ostheer it seems to give me opponents that completely demolish me. They have way superior micro and many more matches played. Despite having 20-25 stats my last match was against a guy who destroyed me in 10 minutes and that's only because I didn't quit after the first few encounters when it was clear that I had no chance to win.

Before you ask, no, it didn't take long to find the match, about a minute or so. There are about 8K+ players online atm so it's probably peak time.

Then you probably simply have too good elo for your skills. It happens after patches or if all your matches are placement ones. You just need to loose some matches and eventually you will find your sweet spot.
aaa
25 Apr 2016, 20:52 PM

quiite 10 gamees in a row you will get oponent you want
25 Apr 2016, 21:03 PM

Then you probably simply have too good elo for your skills. It happens after patches or if all your matches are placement ones. You just need to loose some matches and eventually you will find your sweet spot.

Too good is an understatement. Apparently despite losing way more than winning recently, it still thinks I'm an uber player.

And no, I don't want opponents "who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser", I want fair games.
25 Apr 2016, 22:54 PM
Donator 11

Too good is an understatement. Apparently despite losing way more than winning recently, it still thinks I'm an uber player.

And no, I don't want opponents "who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser", I want fair games.

My secret sources tell me that you recently played only 3 1v1s as ostheer and won one of them. Two lost matches is not dramatic you know, after patches people sometimes have loosing streakes close to 10 or so. Two in a row is just a normal thing, now you will probably get somebody easier to defeat and win 2 in a row.
25 Apr 2016, 23:00 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

maybe consider finding a similar level partner to train with in a custom game instead of automatch?
25 Apr 2016, 23:24 PM

My secret sources tell me that you recently played only 3 1v1s as ostheer and won one of them. Two lost matches is not dramatic you know, after patches people sometimes have loosing streakes close to 10 or so. Two in a row is just a normal thing, now you will probably get somebody easier to defeat and win 2 in a row.

Again, my point was not about losing 2 in a row, I've had worse. It was about the discrepancy between me and my opponent in terms of skill.
26 Apr 2016, 00:15 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

CELO: Company of ELO.
Donwload it and enjoy knowing which rank your opponent is.
26 Apr 2016, 00:37 AM

I'm feeling a bit of hate for the MM as well. I've played 6 4v4 games as allies, kept running into the same opponents (Damn you Angry Bears! Although if you can't beat 'em, join em :D ). Absolutely maddening.
26 Apr 2016, 06:29 AM

In Short:

You have for example 1.000 Points (Your ELO score that indicates your rank).
The Matchmaker then tries to find opponent within a range of 950 - 1.050 points.
If it doesn't find any opponents within a certain amount of time (lets say 30 seconds), the matchmaker will proceed to find an opponent withith a range of 850 - 1.150 points.

Then 700 - 1.300 points...

And so on.
(The numbers are not the exact numbers, only guessed ones)

So if you're playing at a time when only few players are online, you will probably have harder/easier games.
26 Apr 2016, 07:39 AM
Senior Editor Badge

A while ago, before the changes to the matchmaker, I used leave the queue after like 20 seconds and queue again, to avoid that the matchmaker would widen the search range.

This worked reasonably well, but once I still got matched with a waaaay better player. The conclusion that I drew was that widening of the search ranges happens on both sides. Like, I might be in the queue only for a short time but I still can be matched with somebody outside of my search range, just because I'm in his much wider search range.

Also, what I find often when this happens is that I was playing against players that are within their placement matches for their faction, but have much better ranks than me for other factions...
26 Apr 2016, 07:43 AM

Also, what I find often when this happens is that I was playing against players that are within their placement matches for their fraction, but have much better ranks than me for other factions...

This is the most viable explanation so far. He was probably very good with other factions already and had just started playing USF.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★