Login

russian armor

OKW Explanation

13 Apr 2016, 10:17 AM

I'm a fairly new player to COH2 but not to RTS(was plat in SC2)and am curious about a lot of option that the OKW have and what I can do against them, I don't know if this post belongs in this exact forum but i'm sure a mod will move it. I mainly play 2v2, myself as British and my friend as US but it seems like I don't have many ways to combat a good OKW player.

I have been using the well known Northweapon guide on 2v2 British but after we have secured a good half of the map it feels like the OKW has a better unit than what I do but for cheaper. I feel as though their infantry(starting unit, they may be their engineers) completely shut mine out so I cannot get aggressive if I try to build a mortar pit instead and it is quickly rushed down or the enemy mortars take mine out rather quickly since mine is static. If they lay their base down its got the turret on top that suppresses and penetrates armor so there's no getting past that defense. The OKW also back cap better than I can assume dominance.

Are the OKW the clear cut best army in this game or am I horribly misusing the British faction? Is there anyway to counter or stop the OKW from assuming dominance with their base-turret? What are the weakness of the OKW and how do I exploit and abuse it? Finally, what is the strength of the British army? I refuse to give up at this game, this is not a salt thread but rather a thread asking for help. Any and all tips are welcomed aside from shutting down my cry for help by saying "L2P", "Get better", or "Show Playercard".
13 Apr 2016, 10:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 10:17 AMKalaise
I'm a fairly new player to COH2 but not to RTS(was plat in SC2)and am curious about a lot of option that the OKW have and what I can do against them, I don't know if this post belongs in this exact forum but i'm sure a mod will move it. I mainly play 2v2, myself as British and my friend as US but it seems like I don't have many ways to combat a good OKW player.

I have been using the well known Northweapon guide on 2v2 British but after we have secured a good half of the map it feels like the OKW has a better unit than what I do but for cheaper. I feel as though their infantry(starting unit, they may be their engineers) completely shut mine out so I cannot get aggressive if I try to build a mortar pit instead and it is quickly rushed down or the enemy mortars take mine out rather quickly since mine is static. If they lay their base down its got the turret on top that suppresses and penetrates armor so there's no getting past that defense. The OKW also back cap better than I can assume dominance.

Are the OKW the clear cut best army in this game or am I horribly misusing the British faction? Is there anyway to counter or stop the OKW from assuming dominance with their base-turret? What are the weakness of the OKW and how do I exploit and abuse it? Finally, what is the strength of the British army? I refuse to give up at this game, this is not a salt thread but rather a thread asking for help. Any and all tips are welcomed aside from shutting down my cry for help by saying "L2P", "Get better", or "Show Playercard".

Vet 3 is with Bren in green cover beat almost all vet5 okw inf in gren cover too
13 Apr 2016, 10:26 AM

Vet 3 is with Bren in green cover beat almost all vet5 okw inf in gren cover too
Sorry I didn't understand that too well.
13 Apr 2016, 10:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 10:26 AMKalaise
Sorry I didn't understand that too well.

I meant dat Brit unit are as good as okw butt are all to be used in cover even the best okw inf lose to hre with 3 lmg
In cover
And All the other lose to IS with bren
For tank Cromwell is the best tank in the game just crush inf with it
And get firefly only if they go heavy if not get comet
13 Apr 2016, 10:39 AM

Without special commanders, Infantry sections need to use cover, as they get a bonus from being in it other than just the regular cover bonuses. Also if an OKW player puts a forward base, get one AT gun at its max range and either get vision or attack ground the truck, just keep it protected from an infantry push.

Remember without his Schwerer (gun-base) He has no late game tanks or infantry outside of his chosen doctrine, it is also worth over 100 fuel so it is a huge investment for him.

Also Infantry section blobs with Piat's win vs most things OKW can build early/mid game, throw in a few Bren's and you can almost Amove the map, just beware of Luch's as if they are good player your Piats will never hit.
13 Apr 2016, 10:59 AM

Without special commanders, Infantry sections need to use cover, as they get a bonus from being in it other than just the regular cover bonuses. Also if an OKW player puts a forward base, get one AT gun at its max range and either get vision or attack ground the truck, just keep it protected from an infantry push.

Remember without his Schwerer (gun-base) He has no late game tanks or infantry outside of his chosen doctrine, it is also worth over 100 fuel so it is a huge investment for him.

Also Infantry section blobs with Piat's win vs most things OKW can build early/mid game, throw in a few Bren's and you can almost Amove the map, just beware of Luch's as if they are good player your Piats will never hit.
This was incredibly informative thank you very much. Although I dont like the idea of blobbing too much I probably won't use that method. But again thank you very much for your reply.
13 Apr 2016, 12:03 PM

Please, never advise new players/player to Blob :p
13 Apr 2016, 12:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 12:03 PMBlalord

I know not to blob from previous RTS experience but at least he game me some useful information on how to fight against OKW :)
13 Apr 2016, 12:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 12:27 PMKalaise
I know not to blob from previous RTS experience but at least he game me some useful information on how to fight against OKW :)

You should watch replay from pro players and your replays after your games, to see where you failed and where you could improve :)
13 Apr 2016, 12:46 PM

Kalaise, I strongly recommend you to post a replay of a game where you have lost but was close to win in "State office/Replay reviews" forum section so experienced players could analyze it and provide you with well written feedback.
13 Apr 2016, 12:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 10:59 AMKalaise
This was incredibly informative thank you very much. Although I dont like the idea of blobbing too much I probably won't use that method. But again thank you very much for your reply.

I am also against blobbing myself (I usually have 1 unit per hotkey or 2 max but that just may be my try hard nature), however it seems to the to do thing at the moment.
13 Apr 2016, 13:03 PM

OKW are a good faction but they are no OP. They have their share of bullshit units/strats but so does every faction.

The fastest way to figure out how to beat them is to play as them. This will teach you their teching structure, timings, while also making you more aware of their weaknesses. It will also expose you to good allied counter strategies when you see them used against you.

You talk a lot about the 'base turret', I assume you are talking about the Schwerer Panzer HQ. All OKW trucks are extremely vulnerable while building - even rifle infantry can take them down pretty quickly. You can take advantage of this weakness in a few ways. The first is to try and kill the truck while it's building. A decent player will have the bulk of his forces defending it, but if you can surprise him with a quick push combined with some off map or indirect it can kill the truck and put him well behind. If attacking during the build isn't possible, you can at least cap the other areas of the map not being protected. You can also force him to build it in a suboptimal location by keeping pressure and maintaining control of the place he wants to build it. Eventually he will put it further back so he can get his Obers/tanks.

Once the truck is up your best bet is to whittle it down with indirect - SU 120mm mortar, USF pack howi are great for this - then finish it off with armour/AT gun while his army is distracted elsewhere. The key though is not to overcommit, and sometimes you have to just go elsewhere on the map until you get the opportunity to attack the truck. There's no sense in expending all your strength attacking his strongest point if you can't get the kill. Note that once the truck is down he can still call in a KT and the OKW player will usually try to hold out for the KT if he loses his SP HQ.

I could go on for ages about how to play against OKW but there are already plenty of community guides by better players than me out there on how to do that. Look at some of those and you'll be well on your way.
13 Apr 2016, 13:40 PM

Couple of Tips

1. Infantry Section (IS) damage is pretty consistent at all ranges, focus on staying in cover (for the bonus) and shooting at max range.

2. Royal Arty Commander is garbage, don't even bother

3. Try using your starting IS aggressively - rush for a key building/point instead of capping and dig in.

4. On most maps there are typical places OKW will place T4 building - learn them and anticipate to try and disrupt ahead of time.

5. At lower levels OKW players will place their T4 Building poorly (not behind shot blockers) - AT Guns are great then. Use a Sniper to spot or use a tank at max range to soak fire (most shots deflect at max range). Strike hard and fast with AT guns in position when he's retreated or not around and it'll go down fast. Vickers nearby to hold up counter attack is a good idea.

6. Mortar Pits can survive a lot longer if you focus on using barrage against enemy mortars attacking it. Stand Fast with Royal Engineer commander helps a lot too. Don't build MP too soon if you're not confident you can hold that ground or it'll get rushed.

7. Comets are much better than Churchills at the moment. Cromwells are generally your best bet otherwise (although Fireflies w/ Tulips can be handy vs. Tigers, KTs, and Panthers if supported). Armored Car helps immensely against Luches... which can really hurt Brits since PIATs can't hit shit if its moving.

8. General Consensus "Best Commanders" are probably Vanguard, Mobile Assault, and Advanced Emplacements. If you don't mind spending a few dollars those couldn't hurt (though you don't need them to do well by any stretch).

9. Strumpioneers do a number on IS as you said - focus on keeping max distance and avoid turning blind corners where they may be. You win easily if you force them to come to you over open ground. If they catch you close just retreat fast and save yourself needless losses. Focus them down if he's rushing you with multiple squads.

10. Garrisons (including trenches) are your friend. Vickers Vet 1 has AWESOME range while garrisoned. IS perform well in garrison also. Keep in mind you can only shoot through the # of windows - so avoid tiny shacks with only 1 window and such.

Sure I'm forgetting something but that'll get you started~
13 Apr 2016, 13:48 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 12:03 PMBlalord

It's both easier and more effective than trying to force them into playing spread out around the map. "Tactical" blobbing has it's uses but new players should realize it has it's consequences (demo/indirect fire/crushing).

OP
I feel as though their infantry(starting unit, they may be their engineers) completely shut mine out so I cannot get aggressive if I try to build a mortar pit instead

You might only win against a rushing Sturmpioneer if your starting Infantry section is on green cover or inside a building with enough windows (3 or more, 2 depends on damage done on approach). This means either you need to go for a 2v1 or at least 2v2 situation. Either go with your partner or wait for your Bren/IS/MG. In general, it's better that your startin IS goes to the front and secures a good position and just let your partners RE to do the backcapping.

and it is quickly rushed down or the enemy mortars take mine out rather quickly since mine is static.

Focus on counter-firing first. OH mortars get shredded by yours and ISG (OKW) only might get more range, when they are vet3 and with the barrage (which is not as effective as direct fire).

If they lay their base down its got the turret on top that suppresses and penetrates armor so there's no getting past that defense. The OKW also back cap better than I can assume dominance.

AT guns with attack ground (when you don't have LoS) at max range can deal with it. Smoke or screening with armor and using the flare to barrage with pounders is also an option.

Doctrinally, you can use offmaps to destroy any truck (but this is more of a late game option). Concentrated artillery (Special weapon) or Air supremacy (commandos) destroy or leaves truck at 10%.

What are the weakness of the OKW and how do I exploit and abuse it? Finally, what is the strength of the British army?

OKW weakness: Early antigarrison (occupy buildings with Vickers/Maxims). Early light vehicle attacks. Lack of non doctrinal mobile snares or suppression. Early/Mid cost effective AI (takes time to start rolling the vet). Vulnerable when Flak HQ get's destroy as they'll lack been able to field tanks (unless Call-in but those are limited).

UKF strenght: in comparison to other allied factions, they have the tools to lock down territory but have hard time making a push early on. Bren carriers help against Kubel openings and your MG micro at the beginning should be priority. Midgame, you can either try to go for a sniper/Aec/mortar to put pressure on your opponent. In some maps, you can try to go full cancer mode with emplacements but take in mind, that it's like a cards castle. Once they break your position, you probably lose the game.

A quick Cromwell (reminder that their best AI comes from crushing) can put a lot of pressure against OKW. Don't bother upgrading nades, get the 5th man upgrade if you go for Brens on your IS. Once you lose IS, it's better to get RE (royal engineers) than fresh new IS.

For really late game, Hammer and Comets is the way to go. If facing heavies, double PIATS RE with attack ground are really effective as they will have a hard time dodging them in comparison to medium.

13 Apr 2016, 16:10 PM

If you have problems with shrek volks dont forget to upgrade your infantry with brens. Since im playing okw more i discovered how weak volks are against upgraded infantry. You basically need Elite squads to compete in inf vs inf mid to late game.
And mines. Since okw only has minesweeper on the expensive Sturms (which they normally only have one) mines are game winning against okw. Especially if he picked scavenge or Luftwaffe, mine every Important door = free 440mp squadwipes for 30 munitions.
13 Apr 2016, 19:09 PM

OKW are a good faction but they are no OP. They have their share of bullshit units/strats but so does every faction.

The fastest way to figure out how to beat them is to play as them. This will teach you their teching structure, timings, while also making you more aware of their weaknesses. It will also expose you to good allied counter strategies when you see them used against you.

You talk a lot about the 'base turret', I assume you are talking about the Schwerer Panzer HQ. All OKW trucks are extremely vulnerable while building - even rifle infantry can take them down pretty quickly. You can take advantage of this weakness in a few ways. The first is to try and kill the truck while it's building. A decent player will have the bulk of his forces defending it, but if you can surprise him with a quick push combined with some off map or indirect it can kill the truck and put him well behind. If attacking during the build isn't possible, you can at least cap the other areas of the map not being protected. You can also force him to build it in a suboptimal location by keeping pressure and maintaining control of the place he wants to build it. Eventually he will put it further back so he can get his Obers/tanks.

Once the truck is up your best bet is to whittle it down with indirect - SU 120mm mortar, USF pack howi are great for this - then finish it off with armour/AT gun while his army is distracted elsewhere. The key though is not to overcommit, and sometimes you have to just go elsewhere on the map until you get the opportunity to attack the truck. There's no sense in expending all your strength attacking his strongest point if you can't get the kill. Note that once the truck is down he can still call in a KT and the OKW player will usually try to hold out for the KT if he loses his SP HQ.

I could go on for ages about how to play against OKW but there are already plenty of community guides by better players than me out there on how to do that. Look at some of those and you'll be well on your way.
Thank you so much for you in depth response. Really glad you took the time to detail everything out for me, thank you :)
13 Apr 2016, 19:10 PM

Couple of Tips

1. Infantry Section (IS) damage is pretty consistent at all ranges, focus on staying in cover (for the bonus) and shooting at max range.

2. Royal Arty Commander is garbage, don't even bother

3. Try using your starting IS aggressively - rush for a key building/point instead of capping and dig in.

4. On most maps there are typical places OKW will place T4 building - learn them and anticipate to try and disrupt ahead of time.

5. At lower levels OKW players will place their T4 Building poorly (not behind shot blockers) - AT Guns are great then. Use a Sniper to spot or use a tank at max range to soak fire (most shots deflect at max range). Strike hard and fast with AT guns in position when he's retreated or not around and it'll go down fast. Vickers nearby to hold up counter attack is a good idea.

6. Mortar Pits can survive a lot longer if you focus on using barrage against enemy mortars attacking it. Stand Fast with Royal Engineer commander helps a lot too. Don't build MP too soon if you're not confident you can hold that ground or it'll get rushed.

7. Comets are much better than Churchills at the moment. Cromwells are generally your best bet otherwise (although Fireflies w/ Tulips can be handy vs. Tigers, KTs, and Panthers if supported). Armored Car helps immensely against Luches... which can really hurt Brits since PIATs can't hit shit if its moving.

8. General Consensus "Best Commanders" are probably Vanguard, Mobile Assault, and Advanced Emplacements. If you don't mind spending a few dollars those couldn't hurt (though you don't need them to do well by any stretch).

9. Strumpioneers do a number on IS as you said - focus on keeping max distance and avoid turning blind corners where they may be. You win easily if you force them to come to you over open ground. If they catch you close just retreat fast and save yourself needless losses. Focus them down if he's rushing you with multiple squads.

10. Garrisons (including trenches) are your friend. Vickers Vet 1 has AWESOME range while garrisoned. IS perform well in garrison also. Keep in mind you can only shoot through the # of windows - so avoid tiny shacks with only 1 window and such.

Sure I'm forgetting something but that'll get you started~
Thanks for all the tips on brits dude! :) it'll get me a nice head start on achieving a solid game plan! Thanks agagin for all the time you took to write this :)
13 Apr 2016, 19:13 PM

If you have problems with shrek volks dont forget to upgrade your infantry with brens. Since im playing okw more i discovered how weak volks are against upgraded infantry. You basically need Elite squads to compete in inf vs inf mid to late game.
And mines. Since okw only has minesweeper on the expensive Sturms (which they normally only have one) mines are game winning against okw. Especially if he picked scavenge or Luftwaffe, mine every Important door = free 440mp squadwipes for 30 munitions.
The ones for 60 Muni's right?
13 Apr 2016, 19:18 PM

It's both easier and more effective than trying to force them into playing spread out around the map. "Tactical" blobbing has it's uses but new players should realize it has it's consequences (demo/indirect fire/crushing).

OP

You might only win against a rushing Sturmpioneer if your starting Infantry section is on green cover or inside a building with enough windows (3 or more, 2 depends on damage done on approach). This means either you need to go for a 2v1 or at least 2v2 situation. Either go with your partner or wait for your Bren/IS/MG. In general, it's better that your startin IS goes to the front and secures a good position and just let your partners RE to do the backcapping.

Focus on counter-firing first. OH mortars get shredded by yours and ISG (OKW) only might get more range, when they are vet3 and with the barrage (which is not as effective as direct fire).

AT guns with attack ground (when you don't have LoS) at max range can deal with it. Smoke or screening with armor and using the flare to barrage with pounders is also an option.

Doctrinally, you can use offmaps to destroy any truck (but this is more of a late game option). Concentrated artillery (Special weapon) or Air supremacy (commandos) destroy or leaves truck at 10%.

OKW weakness: Early antigarrison (occupy buildings with Vickers/Maxims). Early light vehicle attacks. Lack of non doctrinal mobile snares or suppression. Early/Mid cost effective AI (takes time to start rolling the vet). Vulnerable when Flak HQ get's destroy as they'll lack been able to field tanks (unless Call-in but those are limited).

UKF strenght: in comparison to other allied factions, they have the tools to lock down territory but have hard time making a push early on. Bren carriers help against Kubel openings and your MG micro at the beginning should be priority. Midgame, you can either try to go for a sniper/Aec/mortar to put pressure on your opponent. In some maps, you can try to go full cancer mode with emplacements but take in mind, that it's like a cards castle. Once they break your position, you probably lose the game.

A quick Cromwell (reminder that their best AI comes from crushing) can put a lot of pressure against OKW. Don't bother upgrading nades, get the 5th man upgrade if you go for Brens on your IS. Once you lose IS, it's better to get RE (royal engineers) than fresh new IS.

For really late game, Hammer and Comets is the way to go. If facing heavies, double PIATS RE with attack ground are really effective as they will have a hard time dodging them in comparison to medium.

This is the best response i've ever gotten on this site, THANK YOU so much for your incredibly detailed post and thank you for answering every single question. also, I find the bren carrier lacks firepower in comparison to my out of cover INF squad. is that normal or am I doing something wrong
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★