Login

russian armor

get the elefant

10 Jul 2013, 20:19 PM

I always get a p4 as fast as possible .Then the soviet player buys an su 85.Normally the soviet player will buy a second su 85 if he can not kill the p4 ,so just play defensive and hold the fuel.Do not get t4 .The su 85 is pretty bad against infatry .Hence the soviet will have problems to push.When you have 260 fuel get the elefant which will destroy a su 85 with two shots.The soviet players always underestimate the elefant.
I already used the tactic a few times and it works pretty good.Tips to improve the tactic ?
10 Jul 2013, 21:40 PM

I always get a p4 as fast as possible .Then the soviet player buys an su 85.Normally the soviet player will buy a second su 85 if he can not kill the p4 ,so just play defensive and hold the fuel.Do not get t4 .The su 85 is pretty bad against infatry .Hence the soviet will have problems to push.When you have 260 fuel get the elefant which will destroy a su 85 with two shots.The soviet players always underestimate the elefant.
I already used the tactic a few times and it works pretty good.Tips to improve the tactic ?

Vs. a Soviet T3 rush this could get ugly. They'll field t70s and t34s vs your infantry which will totally push you off the map. Maybe you get lucky with a teller mine? Maybe you actually faust and actually hit a t70 with a Pak40. But, by the time you field an elephant, all it takes is one t34 RAM and you're done. But Maybe, just maybe, the cards will play right. That's too many maybes for me. =P
11 Jul 2013, 02:58 AM

Vs. a Soviet T3 rush this could get ugly. They'll field t70s and t34s vs your infantry which will totally push you off the map. Maybe you get lucky with a teller mine? Maybe you actually faust and actually hit a t70 with a Pak40. But, by the time you field an elephant, all it takes is one t34 RAM and you're done. But Maybe, just maybe, the cards will play right. That's too many maybes for me. =P

i think the OP was, rather obviously, reffering to a situation where you do not see a t70 or t34 for enough time to see that your opponent went t4 (or you see a 76)
11 Jul 2013, 10:46 AM

yeah in a 1 vs 1 it rarely happens that one can save up that much fuel and then COME back strong. however there is a good example where it worked in a 2v2 where the germans got t34 spammed (and su85) and came back strong with an elephant.

i dotn want to ad for my own replays but as it happens my mate and i played this intense game couple of days ago where we kind of did what the OP said.

we tried to fight them with p4's, good micro and timed flanking moves but its more than a hard task once they start raming you. mid-game we decided to just stall the game as good as possible and go for a elephant. have a look yourself, was a pretty intens game too.

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5112/heavy-metal--battle-of-kursk-on-minsk
12 Jul 2013, 10:20 AM

I also like the elefant. I think you must get either a p4 or an ostwind out first though. You won't survive if he gets a t70. Trying to avoid the su85 with ostwind works, you can even take it out with shrecks/faust coupled with the ostwind. Ostwind will make sure he can't push with inf, and counters air. Then just stall out till you got elefant. The scope on the ost/light vehicle will also give line of sight for your paks.
29 Jul 2013, 18:25 PM

I've been making good use of the Elefant too. It's fantastic against SU85's.

Lately, I've been trying for a rush to get a P4:
-Then if he goes T3, keep pumping out P4's and/or Ostwinds, which should eat anything out of soviet T3
-If he goes T4 for the SU85, which he most likely will, I back tech to T2, and get Panzer Grens to stall him until I can get the Elefant out. I use the P4 to bait his SU85's into my shrecked Pgrens. After that, using scout planes with the Elefant makes absolute mince meat out of SU85's
9 Aug 2013, 19:04 PM

What about SU-85 with 2-3 sniper team? They can oneshot full squad PG. And the Elefant is only doctrinal unit, but SU-85 is not.
9 Aug 2013, 19:10 PM

ISU demolishes the Elephant, be careful if they go that doctrine with Guards + ISU.
10 Aug 2013, 14:34 PM

Yeah, the Elefant is a game changer. It just shows up really late. As someone mentioned earlier , saving for an Elefant often means your banking on static/luck based defense in case a T70 shows up. A T70 or two easily ends the game If your not prepared.

Does a strafing run really smash up an Elefant as much as it appeared that last game ?
10 Aug 2013, 14:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2013, 19:10 PMHissy
ISU demolishes the Elephant, be careful if they go that doctrine with Guards + ISU.

No?
The isu loses by a lot when fighting a 1v1 with the ele....
20 Aug 2013, 13:15 PM

The ISU with some support will destroy an elephant head on, however if the ISU flanks it the elephant will lose. Bring it up with some support and make sure you take out T34's quickly before they ram or else its just a heap or expensive metal :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★