Login

russian armor

The current map pool

29 Mar 2016, 13:37 PM

Hey,

I'd like to talk about the current map pool here, what's your opinion about the general map pool across all game modes at the moment, which ones you wish were gone or back, also, balance issues on some maps.

Personally I think, it's bout time that some changes are made again.
Especially to the 2v2 map pool.

-Semois Winter, should just be 1v1 or removed, a huge clusterfck, unbalanced since the south can just place all their arty on solid ground right in front of their base, covering the whole middle, the north only has a lake of ice and overall way worse positioning options, I mean there is a reason that this map was 1on1 only in vCoH.

-Moscow, this map is in since beta and I'm probably not the only one who is completely sick of it by now, has balance issues as well, you even need two vetoes to not get this map.

-Dusseldorf, interesting map, but seems to be very unpopular, would be better off in custom games.

-Ettelbruck is a bit similar, seems to be vetoed a lot as well.

What I'd like to see back : - Ecliptic Fields remake (was well done and suited the game)
- Eindhoven (minor issues but overall a great map)
- Prypjat (just fun)

What's your opinion on the map pool ?

29 Mar 2016, 13:41 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Eindhoven was a really nice 2v2 map, i really liked it #bring back eindhoven
And i am dutch, always nice to see a dutch city name in the map pool :P
29 Mar 2016, 13:45 PM

Does anyone else get the same maps over and over again? I get either kolodny ferma or arnhem checkpoint most of the time.
29 Mar 2016, 13:52 PM

Does anyone else get the same maps over and over again? I get either kolodny ferma or arnhem checkpoint most of the time.

Yes I also noticed that some maps occur way more often than others, might be because of the vetoes though.
29 Mar 2016, 13:57 PM

#bringbackEindhoven

- Remove Hamlet, Luvnest mud map, either summer or winter moscow (there is no difference in the two), düsseldorf, Ettel.

- Gelsenkirchen factory is too big for 2v2, should be a 3v3 map
- Crossing shouldnt be in 2v2.
29 Mar 2016, 14:00 PM

Overall i agree with your post, only would add the following to it: Moscow north is a death sentence, regardless of faction.

Tho i disagree with this:
jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2016, 13:37 PMTasty

What I'd like to see back : - Ecliptic Fields remake (was well done and suited the game)
- Eindhoven (minor issues but overall a great map)
- Prypjat (just fun)

Fields was 2 1vs1's, helping your mate out was generally suicide, as such not what i call a good 2v2 map.

I never liked eindhoven, but perhaps future adjustments can remedy that.

And pripyat.... if you think ettelbruck and dusseldurf should be removed, how on earth can you turn around and ask for pripyat back? I am geniunely curious about this, because pripyat is the worst of the three (all three being bad), being nothing but a chokepoint map with all the action centred around the middle VP.

The day relic removed it from automatch was a good day.

Other then that, trois pont and gelschenkirchen should be removed aswell (bridge and chokepoints, utterly horrrible for automatch), rzech winter should be 3vs3 only and they should remove the freaking fences on vaux farmlands (whoever thought it a grand idea to wire of the base sectors like that, please reconsider).

1vs1 map pool is okish (tho i would remove la Glezie and make Longreskaya into Langreskaya somehow by VP placements) but the 3vs3 and 4vs4 map pool.... it's just utter pudding to me.

Well, seeing as this post is rather salty so far, í"dd like to say that angoville, arnhem and to an extent, kholodney are maps that appear to be balanced so far. More maps like that should be a good thing.
(the new 1vs1 spotlight maps are kinda like this, but they either have 2 too many or 2 too few strat points making the tech pacing weird).

But this is all just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Neo
29 Mar 2016, 14:03 PM

The overall state of the map pool at all game sizes can be described with one sentence:

NOT ENOUGH VETOES.
29 Mar 2016, 14:08 PM

@zarok maybe it's nostalgia, but Prypjat Winter was fairly enjoyable, lots of space to do stuff in the south, I also liked the woods in north, always been a fierce battle, though I agree that the summer version is similar too Rzhev summer, just a huge campy massacre.

I also agree about Gelsenkirchen, really don't like the map, especially the right side of the map is weird, while the left side is extremely beneficial for the north.

About the new community maps : -Chateau is weird, south seems really unbalanced again, favoring the right side, the left barely has operating room and everything is stuck in mud there.

-Hamlet is just like Crossing, but it's incredibly hard to harass important points making it kinda boring to play at times.
29 Mar 2016, 14:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2016, 14:08 PMTasty
@zarok maybe it's nostalgia, but Prypjat Winter was fairly enjoyable, lots of space to do stuff in the south, I also liked the woods in north, always been a fierce battle, though I agree that the summer version is similar too Rzhev summer, just a huge campy massacre.

I also agree about Gelsenkirchen, really don't like the map, especially the right side of the map is weird, while the left side is extremely beneficial for the north.

Winter Pripyat had triple vps near eachother in the center and no less than 4 muni points.
Wanting that map back seems....odd to say the least :p
29 Mar 2016, 14:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2016, 14:11 PMzarok47

Winter Pripyat had triple vps near eachother in the center and no less than 4 muni points.
Wanting that map back seems....odd to say the least :p

That was when SU T1 reign supreme, sniper can just cover in deep snow, lots of open space so SU-85 can rekt all Axis tanks till elephant hit the field, in return due to abundance of muni, LMG Gren blob rekt around so it was kinda like a cat and mouse game for SU and OH, with the middle point give huge view range and free repair point, it is really one of a kind map.
29 Mar 2016, 14:47 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Maps designed for 1v1 should not be in 2v2....ever.

The 2v2 map pool needs love for sure, and the map list is still disorganized....

2v2 maps need to get closer to something like this http://www.coh2.org/guides/5478/worldbuilding-with-whiteflash
29 Mar 2016, 14:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They need more mirrored maps.

Bring back St. Hilaire from CoH1.

29 Mar 2016, 15:00 PM
Donator 11

3v3 and 4v4 definitely needs some new maps that aren't completely terrible and some of the ancient crap ones need to be removed. Basically the only decent maps are the WFA ones, Red Ball Express, Steppes, and one or two other Eastern front maps. All the rest are completely garbage, especially Eezhev winter and 5vp maps. I'm not against 5vps but the current ones are a disaster.
29 Mar 2016, 15:16 PM

I'd actually like to see more summer/winter variations of maps, perhaps with more changes/experimentation to layout based on season. Then again, I'm one of those people who wasn't happy with Relic basically dropping weather effects entirely.

Pripyat wasn't much worse than many of the 2v2 maps we have at the minute, and it had some decent mechanics. I miss luring panthers onto bridges with demo charges ready, or repairing bridges to open up a flanking route.

Moscow outskirts is one of the better 2v2 maps imo. It isn't perfect, but it's quite wide compared to the likes of minsk/karkov so you can actually move around more. There's a reason it has lasted so long.

Rzhev could use looked at. I find it favours the south side due to the river layout and base placement.

I kinda like Hamlet, but the layout feels a bit weird with the 2 cutoff points covering a massive area on each side. Perhaps it could use a few more actual strategic points?
29 Mar 2016, 17:37 PM

It's an issue of veto's.

Personally I seem to get angoville 75% of the time when I don't veto it. I hate Angoville.
29 Mar 2016, 17:49 PM

bring back Eindhoven. with changes to the center house and a removal of the trees outside south spawn base. FIXED.
29 Mar 2016, 18:38 PM

#bringbackEindhoven

Just need to fix that one goofy big house to the center-south that only had south facing windows. God forbid you ever lose control of that garrison
1 Apr 2016, 08:13 AM

i really want the 1v1 map pool to be good

take out these maps:
arnhem checkpoint: too axis favored, just building hop early game and snowball out of control
semois and semois winter: too OKW favored, truck placement is beyond overpowered here, extreme building hopping and lone OKW squads can walk up and always firenade your mg buildings trivially
crossing in the woods: too axis favored, all engagements are long range and mgs lock down way too much area and encourages massive blobbing
minsk pocket: same exact problem as crossing in the woods, but with an even worse additional problem, near unpunishable fuel point
langres: too wehrmatch favored, esp if you get the good spawn
glider: not as axis favored as minsk pocket, but the areas are way too large with minimal cover, encourages blobbing, mg covering giant portions of the map, and buildings are badly placed for the north player, south player has big advantage

i have arnhem checkpoint, semois summer, minsk, and crossing in the woods on veto, but i just dont have enough for the rest, everytime i play something like semois winter its just a dickslap to my face
1 Apr 2016, 09:25 AM

Permanently Banned
I olay 1v1 and 2v2 and 2v2 map pool are to broken, to many bad maps or i dont like play in that maps, so need more veto if Relic or who create maps can not fix tham, i dont see reason to play pain games in bad map.
#bringbackEindhoven
1 Apr 2016, 14:40 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight