Login

russian armor

New Commander Idea: Ground Support Tactics

15 Mar 2016, 08:02 AM

Updated title to make clear that it is not an upcoming commander but an idea.
15 Mar 2016, 08:18 AM

Good ideas, although I don't think we need another commander with the ISU in it.

It would be nice to see more soviet tanks that were produced in large numbers during the war, such as SU-122 or SU-100 introduced into the game. I think either of those would fit well on the end of a doc like this.
15 Mar 2016, 14:27 PM

I thought about it, and I'll probably be replacing the Conscript PTRS package with an arty barrage, and the ISU-152 with a KV-2.
15 Mar 2016, 14:47 PM

New projects are cool but we need ideas for design whole factions not only for commanders imo.

For example;
Soviets and Ostheer needs forward retrait point and some tier addings etc.

Keep up good work Karbinder :clap:
15 Mar 2016, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2016, 14:47 PMUzmanoy
New projects are cool but we need ideas for design whole factions not only for commanders imo.

For example;
Soviets and Ostheer needs forward retrait point and some tier addings etc.

Keep up good work Karbinder :clap:

In my opinion, Soviet and Ostheer are the most 'complete' factions in the game, in the way that they have everything they need to win. These commanders are just here to add flavor, give Relic some $$$ for the support, and slightly adjust the average game-play strategy. As for adding to their default weapons arsenal, I think it's as balanced as it can get.

Thanks for the complement; I really do appreciate them! :D
~Kar
16 Mar 2016, 02:19 AM

The preview mod has finally been released!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646172754
Feel free to experiment with this commander. Same instructions as the last one in terms of use.
16 Mar 2016, 04:34 AM

Very nice, as usual. + Karbinder

For aesthetics and historical accuracy giving the Commisar model a PPSH would be neat.
16 Mar 2016, 04:38 AM

Very nice, as usual. + Karbinder

For aesthetics and historical accuracy giving the Commisar model a PPSH would be neat.

It's a good idea, but that revolver looks too sexy, in my opinion. :snfPeter:
I could give the squad an upgrade that gives all of the units PPSHs, instead of replacing the default weapons.
16 Mar 2016, 05:30 AM

The Soviet commander without calling elite infantry - useless commander.

this, just this. has no way of holding ground, except non doc units which are horrendously outgunned by axis infantry.

unless commissar has a good aura, conscripts are still effectively support units.

an entire commander full of support units supporting a non doc rooster of support units, ineffective line infantry.

this faction just screams inadequacy. what should be done is, support units and abilities that actually boost the effectiveness of non-doc infantry.

1)conscripts ptrs is a waste, bring in guards instead.
2)rework zis6 trucks, dont make them into a opel clone, make them a deployable forward retreat point, can be upgraded with medics.

but this commander does have merits.

commissar is a great idea but i think needs reworking to help soviets in their early game deficiencies, rather than a straight up buff aura. rework him into a combat unit.

350mp, effective early game infantry squad with good anti infantry firepower, limited to 1 squad at the time. comes in with guardsmen(with guards mosin nagants and 1x dp28) by his side, 6 men squad. has frag grenades. can be upgraded with binoculars for 75munitions for increased sight range.

give him a unique inspirational aura buff. for every man that dies in his squad, surrounding infantry are inspired, similar to the effects of the old vet ability of soviet infantry.
16 Mar 2016, 05:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 05:30 AMwongtp

this, just this. has no way of holding ground, except non doc units which are horrendously outgunned by axis infantry.

unless commissar has a good aura, conscripts are still effectively support units.

an entire commander full of support units supporting a non doc rooster of support units, ineffective line infantry.

this faction just screams inadequacy. what should be done is, support units and abilities that actually boost the effectiveness of non-doc infantry.

1)conscripts ptrs is a waste, bring in guards instead.
2)rework zis6 trucks, dont make them into a opel clone, make them a deployable forward retreat point, can be upgraded with medics.

but this commander does have merits.

commissar is a great idea but i think needs reworking to help soviets in their early game deficiencies, rather than a straight up buff aura. rework him into a combat unit.

350mp, effective early game infantry squad with good anti infantry firepower, limited to 1 squad at the time. comes in with guardsmen(with guards mosin nagants and 1x dp28) by his side, 6 men squad. has frag grenades. can be upgraded with binoculars for 75munitions for increased sight range.

give him a unique inspirational aura buff. for every man that dies in his squad, surrounding infantry are inspired, similar to the effects of the old vet ability of soviet infantry.
Slow down please. You're asking a bit too much. The commissar provides an aura that should make a squad of conscripts just as good if not better than grenadiers, but turning the commissar into a combat unit? I'd might as well replace him with guards, or shocks. There's nothing really wrong with the ZiS-6 trucks being an Opel clone, considering you still get a resource bonus along with your team, which is what really matters in this doctrine. Forward retreat points, in my opinion, are something best left out of the original factions, just to keep them with their weaknesses (and it also doesn't go along with the other abilities. Also, your information is a bit out of date. The Con PTRS upgrade is clearly gone from the picture, which you can see in the main post. I'm not looking to make this a doctrine that makes all soviet weaknesses non-existent, but to support the ENTIRE team, hence it being a SUPPORT commander. Also, I'd rather not turn the commissar into an expensive rifleman dupe. I am trying to keep this support oriented, so I wouldn't have high hopes on elite infantry.
16 Mar 2016, 16:21 PM

I fixed a lot of bugs that affected other commanders in the preview mod, while changing up the damage caused by each shell in the 152mm barrage. The shells should also arrive at the target much faster than before. It can probably be compared to the 'Light Artillery Barrage' ability for Ostheer in terms of timing now. Commissar no longer derps when being forced out of the way by a tank. Don't forget to tell me your feedback after testing with the mod, or after simply looking over the concept on the main post.

~Kar
17 Mar 2016, 09:02 AM

Replace 120mm with something like strafe run.
17 Mar 2016, 20:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2016, 09:02 AMNEVEC
Replace 120mm with something like strafe run.

People were bringing up the point of this not scaling up to the Terror doctrine, so I just added something powerful for users to dump their excess munitions in.
nee
18 Mar 2016, 00:55 AM

Friendly advice: don't edit the first post, just state that it's the original idea and has been changed, referencing to a later post.

My thoughts on the matter:
-One way to make Commissar unique from other officer squads is utilize Mark Target like OKW's Command Panther's ability: costs munitions, requires unit to target, but otherwise works just like Mark Target. That way, rather than requiring elite infantry, you cause ALL your units to work like elites for a short time...provided they're attacking that particular unit. That Commissar comes very early makes this an early advantage, yet also assists late-game against things like Tigers. Commissar would have to be kind of durable as well as cheap though, especially against suppression, squad wipes and heavy tanks means this ability is pretty much all that makes him good.

-I'm kinda OK with the heavy mortar, not too many commanders feature the unit. Would negate the KV-2 though, which is a far more niche call-in given its precarious stats and capabilities.

-For the truck, I think it should have some uniqueness involved. Seeing as you're against forward retreat, there really isn't much else outside of Opel clone, which IMO Soviets don't need. They need the manpower to field units, not manpower spend to give more munitions and fuel It's understandable if the intent was to let the player float munitions to spam that 240mm barrage and KV-2, but then that's pretty much it.
Some suggestions on the unit: give it repair ability so it acts like a mobile repair station (must deploy, refer to original USF M3 Halftrack idea in Ardennes Assault);
Observation upgrade: basically has Spotting Scope ability, when it's not moving it has 2x sight range, excellent to help your units find the enemy, make it deployable so it doesn't accidentally move due to pathfinding faffery; make it combat-oriented bonuses when deployed in specific sector, similar to original P4 Command Tank's buff, which justifies its flimsy armour and need to keep it hidden and away. Also, a camouflage toggle that helps preserve the unit.

-TBH I prefer ISU-152 over KV-2, the former has longer range and can engage targets behind your other units, that's more useful support than KV-2 which needs to toggle its siege mode and encourages camping rather than pushing forward for those VP points.

-Bit of a wild off topic miscellaneous idea: reintroduce M-42 AT gun but give it some powerful support abilities like button or tread shot. It won't one-up tanks by itself but trapping enemy tanks would allow your other units to easily kill it.

I can't say I like the 152mm barrage idea, it sounds basically like one-click anti-blob/ flank attack ability that requires munitions and a working right hand, rather than units and a brain that can micro troops. Fear Propaganda Artillery can do the same thing, even if only against infantry (plus AT Guns, when's that gonna be fixed? 2019?), and there's also the PTAB bombing run that stuns enemy vehicles and damages infantry, or Incendiary Barrage. Given that you already have heavy mortar/ KV-2, a conventional barrage seems redundant, which is why I prefer complementary abilities that inflict things like stun or burn ground. IMO a better idea is an ability that rewards your units with kills and veterancy, rather than the other way around.
18 Mar 2016, 03:20 AM

Nice commander. only complaint is 14cp kv2 which is way too high
18 Mar 2016, 15:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Mar 2016, 03:20 AMNinjaWJ
Nice commander. only complaint is 14cp kv2 which is way too high

That's the default KV-2 CP requirement, so unless Relic changes it, I'd probably continue to mimic the 14 CP.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 33
New Zealand 27
Poland 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak