Login

russian armor

Relic: Random-funtion

21 Feb 2016, 10:11 AM

Hello

I think a random-option would be nice to add to the game with respect to automatch.

The rolled faction should even remain "hidden" in the loading screen to keep your opponent in the dark - "oh fuck its a random guy - cant maxim spam because he might get OH" - or whatever.

I think this would provide an interesting dynamic to the gameplay...
Any one else have anything to say about this, and are there any plans to add such a function?
21 Feb 2016, 10:21 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Whilst having a random option would be great, The rolled faction should never remain hidden, because that inherently gives one player an advantage even before the game has started. Not so much in units but mainly in capping order.
21 Feb 2016, 10:22 AM

Whilst having a random option would be great, The rolled faction should never remain hidden, because that inherently gives one player an advantage even before the game has started.

Thats the point ;)
21 Feb 2016, 10:28 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Why should a player get an unfair advantage before the game has already started? That's just ludricous, should a player also start with 50 extra manpower for picking random?
21 Feb 2016, 10:30 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Bear in mind, playing all 5 factions in Company of Heroes is easy. Everyone does it, it's not like in StarCraft where mastering all the factions is super difficult and nobody can do it.
21 Feb 2016, 10:39 AM

"mastering" is a relative term - I played random in SC2 and i found it rather easy..

The advantage you get is NOT comparable to any advantage in resources - IMHO. It just forces you to scout your opponent before you tech or decide which units to go for.
21 Feb 2016, 10:43 AM

Whilst having a random option would be great, The rolled faction should never remain hidden, because that inherently gives one player an advantage even before the game has started. Not so much in units but mainly in capping order.

What do you mean remain hidden? If you could see the faction that was picked on the loading screen, no problem there :)

I requested this function back in 2013, but I guess Relic hasn't seen it or it was just ignored -_-
21 Feb 2016, 11:34 AM

Having the faction (and thus doctrine choices) hidden prior to match choice is a bad idea because it would give too much of an advantage.

Having the option to choose random faction in automatch is a no-brainer and I have no idea why it wasn't in the game since release.
21 Feb 2016, 11:47 AM

I think a random-option would be nice to add to the game with respect to automatch.

I cannot imagine how it would work. Ok, searching in random mode right? Let's assume i find a game, my army is let's say Brits, then what?

what commanders will i have? what biulletins wil i have? What type of skins? etc

Of course it's possible to make but it's not so simple, it needs some creativity.

The rolled faction should even remain "hidden" in the loading screen to keep your opponent in the dark - "oh fuck its a random guy - cant maxim spam because he might get OH" - or whatever.

I think this would provide an interesting dynamic to the gameplay...
Any one else have anything to say about this, and are there any plans to add such a function?

Faction must be know, it's logical that you know which army you fight with. Commanders and biulletins, well, i wouldn't mind if it stayed hidden.
21 Feb 2016, 11:51 AM

Yeah always been missing. Random 1v1, 2v2 etc would be so much fun.
21 Feb 2016, 11:53 AM

This needs to happen. I don't care if it's hidden in the loading screen. (You could just take a look at the enemy base in the FoW to see his faction...)

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2016, 11:47 AMStark

what commanders will i have? what biulletins wil i have? What type of skins? etc

You already can set all your faction loadouts right now. So you'd just get the respective one.
21 Feb 2016, 11:58 AM

Keep in mind this will also hide their commander/bulletin choice wich is too much of an advantage in my opinion.
21 Feb 2016, 12:20 PM

I'd like to have the ability to let the game chose my faction randomly if I cannot choose what I want to play.

But the OPs idea is not good in my opinion.
21 Feb 2016, 13:01 PM
Senior Caster Badge

"mastering" is a relative term - I played random in SC2 and i found it rather easy..

The advantage you get is NOT comparable to any advantage in resources - IMHO. It just forces you to scout your opponent before you tech or decide which units to go for.

But forcing you to scout your opponent before making any decisions is a massive setback. You can't scout your opponent before you start a capping order or decide which of the first 1-3 units you build. If my build order against OKW is Penal spam, but my build order against Wehr is Maxims spam, I am not going to be able to build my tier structure until a couple of minutes in, which places me at a huge disadvantage.

Likewise let's say against Soviets I way want to aggressively deny garrisons, against US I would prefer to focus munitions, against Brits I would focus fuel. I'm not able to determine which capping order I want to commit to until I have scouted my opponent which already messes it up and puts me behind. It's a no brainer that not knowing what faction you are versing puts you at an obvious disadvantage.

You either don't think that having your opponents faction hidden is a disadvantage, or that you don't think players being disadvantaged is problem. Either of which are inherently wrong and make your argument invalid.

Random faction would be a great feature, but it needs to be revealed during the load screen so that players can make informed strategies instead of the old term "Build Order Poker." As someone pointed out, not being able to see Commanders/Bulletins would be massively exploitative on top of everything else I pointed out.
21 Feb 2016, 13:21 PM
Donator 22

+1 :)
21 Feb 2016, 13:34 PM

I'm all for Random. Not seeing your opponent, however, is an absolute no-no.
21 Feb 2016, 15:56 PM

This wouldn't do a thing. At any time in the game you can peek over at his base and see the HQ type and therefore faction type. Soviets and Ostheer have none, OKW has a shape, Brits have rectangle, and USFs a circle.
21 Feb 2016, 16:02 PM

I don't like your "hidden" suggestion. Just bring back random like it was in CoH1. That's enough.
21 Feb 2016, 16:13 PM

it's not like you coul see by the shape of the base through fog of war whom you play...
21 Feb 2016, 16:15 PM

I don't like your "hidden" suggestion. Just bring back random like it was in CoH1. That's enough.

This
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS