Login

russian armor

GPU Upgrade advice

22 Feb 2016, 13:17 PM

Banned
i know that it was towards the last 0.5 gb. can you show me any source with frametime measurements that show that this is not an issue? i can show you the opposite: grman hardware site(sorry its in german, but the graphs should be selfexplenatory)
well, good AMD custom designs are not more noisy. furthermore, AMD has better driver support for older cards and the GTX 970 ESPECIALLY needs good drivers because of its faulty design. therefore it may get a lot worse in future. "less frame rate variance"-> isnt that the reason for the r9 390 with 8 gigs? and they cost the same more or less

:D Dude that's one of the main differences between AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia has a lot more support than AMD.
Get your shit right before 'informing' a guy about what and how's.
22 Feb 2016, 13:25 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2016, 13:17 PMTEKOA

Get your shit right

at least quote me correct

NVIDIA has very good support for their newest generation, their drivers are susally better for new games. BUT FOR OLDER GENERATIONS nivida doesnt support it as well as AMD does and the 970 needs very good drivers to perform okay. sorry, but be quiet
22 Feb 2016, 13:31 PM

Banned

at least quote me correct

NVIDIA has very good support for their newest generation, their drivers are susally better for new games. BUT FOR OLDER GENERATIONS nivida doesnt support it as well as AMD does and the 970 needs very good drivers to perform okay. sorry, but be quiet

For older generations? You mean cards of 3y ago?
The guy is talking about upgrading to a card that can run COH2 on high settings. Older cards that Nvidia does not support anymore are not even relevant here.

Need very good drivers to perform.

What a load of bullshit is that. Gforce experience ensures you ride with the best driver available at that moment, updating nearly every week ensuring every game can run at the fullest potential.

Dude really, why you even trying.

22 Feb 2016, 13:41 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2016, 13:31 PMTEKOA

For older generations? You mean cards of 3y ago?
The guy is talking about upgrading to a card that can run COH2 on high settings. Older cards that Nvidia does not support anymore are not even relevant here.

when i say older generations i mean older generations. when the new generation from NVIDIA is released this year, the gtx 970 will be of the old generation. got it so far?

now, because the 970 has the ram issue, the driver needs to put the right files into the slow ram, otherwise you have even more microstuttering. as nvidia doesnt support older generations as well, people rightfully fear that the driver wont do that for new games once the new generation has arrived

What a load of bullshit is that. Gforce experience ensures you ride with the best driver available at that moment, updating nearly every week ensuring every game can run at the fullest potential.
What a load of marketing bla bla bullshit is that.

Dude really, why you even trying.

stick your memes where they belong...

22 Feb 2016, 13:42 PM
Donator 11

i know that it was towards the last 0.5 gb. can you show me any source with frametime measurements that show that this is not an issue? i can show you the opposite: grman hardware site(sorry its in german, but the graphs should be selfexplenatory)
well, good AMD custom designs are not more noisy. furthermore, AMD has better driver support for older cards and the GTX 970 ESPECIALLY needs good drivers because of its faulty design. therefore it may get a lot worse in future. "less frame rate variance"-> isnt that the reason for the r9 390 with 8 gigs? and they cost the same more or less

Well, lucky me i do read german.
PCGH shows quite heavy spikes with the 980, and even 290x/8G as well.
Fair enough, frametime issues past 3.5 GB may occur, that is correct, outside of this scenario and generally speaking nvidia is way ahead in this department. Which brings me to the mentioned part of drivers: i doubt nvidia will abandon "support" in this regard, at least not any time soon, nor will it actually be any serious problem without.

And again, i tried to explain my personal preference, and AMD doesn't offer too much in this department.
Why would i need a card with 8GB vram, if i can't properly drive any higher resolution with either card? But i get the better noise / cooling and lower power draw on the nvidia one - and no, a card with 64% more power draw won't have the same efficiency, that is literally impossible.
Marketing and swayed benchmarks won't change physics.

Anyways, i don't want to argue against the 380 / 390, just explaining why i would get one card over the other. Now if i had different scenario, then it would also look into different GPUs.

OP is on a budget, so some used 290(x) might be quite a bargain atm - if chassis airflow and PSU are decent that is.
22 Feb 2016, 13:50 PM
Donator 11

well, all cards spike, but the 970 does so quite a bit more.
you may doubt that nvidia will abandon support, i dont know whether they will, but im sure they have done so in the past and that should be said.
8 gigs of vram are only needed in a couple of cases right now, but as i repeatedly stated, this might increase a lot in future

to be honest, if the 970 would not have this issue, i would probably rate it over the 390 because of the efficiency, but so, its just not very future-safe.

and yes, a used 290 would be quite good. OP, can you tell us which PSU you have? and how many fans in which case?
22 Feb 2016, 14:39 PM
Donator 11

well, all cards spike, but the 970 does so quite a bit more.
you may doubt that nvidia will abandon support, i dont know whether they will, but im sure they have done so in the past and that should be said.

Some 175W card spiking into 200s usually isn't an issue. A 275W card spiking into 400s though... for just the GPU alone that is - depends on model though, for both sides. And the larger PSU obv. comes with a higher pricetag initially, and long term due consumption and worse efficiency on lower load scenarios. Now place some PSU with mediocre airflow in your chassis, and you might end up with your PC just shutting down on certain loads.

Anyways, back to topic :snfPeter:. OP, what's your PSU & budget?
22 Feb 2016, 14:47 PM
Donator 11

oh nonono, i meant frame time spiking :D

but yeah, back to topic :D

op, before you buy a second hand card, ask the owner for coil whine, sometimes this is the reason why the sell the card!
AVA
22 Feb 2016, 19:05 PM

1. but the 980ti is NOWHERE NEAR the best bang/buck. its an enthusiast card and those cards are always very priceymore like total overkill

2. the gtx 970 is the same generation as the 980ti?!?!

1. 980 Ti is the best bang for buck currently, r9 390 is nowhere close to the performance of the 980 Ti, and it's all over tech forums that 980 Ti performs best for its cost. Also AMD cards produce a lot more heat than nividia cards + nividia has good software. (not Anti-AMD, since I own AMD cards aswell, but these are just facts).

2. First off, I said go for a newer generation card, this wasn't a reference to 980 Ti, but the upcoming GPU's from nividia or amd (although AMD just recently released 300 series) and 970 and 980 Ti are the same generation but that says nothing about the performance and how new something is. 980 Ti is released a year later and simply performs waaay better than the 970.
22 Feb 2016, 20:26 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2016, 19:05 PMAVA

1. 980 Ti is the best bang for buck currently, r9 390 is nowhere close to the performance of the 980 Ti, and it's all over tech forums that 980 Ti performs best for its cost.

i dont know what tech forums you read, but consider this:
the 980ti has about 90% more FPS than the r9 380, but costs more than three times the amount. 1.9/3.x < 1 therefore the r9 380 has significantly more bang/buck

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 49
South Africa 1
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak