Login

russian armor

Tactical Movement and Ambush Tactics

2 Jul 2013, 17:53 PM

Both of them useless in their current incarnation. I'll explain my points:

Tactical Movement

Oorah is a great ability, for only 5 munitions. Perfectly fine.

Tactical Movement is a 40 munitions ability, with global effects. The downside to this, is that it is restricting you to use the ability once you have 40 munitions in your pocket. It is the same ideology used behind the S-Mines: no matter what little trick you use, you still have to wait to have a chunk of munitions, when you only wanted a very specific effect. This inhibits, at least me, from using it. It becomes virtually a useless slot in the command tree.

Ambush Tactics

Pretty on paper, bad in practice. First off, its an upgrade that provides a situational passive bonus. The bonus isn't that good: it might help your shreks hide behind a fence or deep snow, but I really don't feel there's much of a "sneak attack" bonus to warrant upgrading my troops with it.

Proposed changes:
Tactical Movement
Make tactical movement a Global Upgrade, giving your Pioneers, Grens and PGrens(perhaps the sniper too) the Sprint ability that is already available in the game (SP). To activate this ability, you need to pay a 5 munition cost, per unit using it. Its the equivalent of Oorah, but you need a specific commander(s) to get it, so more units have access to it. After all, your infantry becomes the "core" in this doctrine.

Ambush Tactics
Leave everything as is, including cost. Two exceptions:
*Allow Pak crews access to it, so they can cloak in cover or deep snow.
*There is a First Strike bonus when attacking from camo: 20% extra damage for 2-4seconds after revealing yourself (one shot for pak, one volley form shreks, couple of seconds for grens and Pgrens)

Note that all of these improvements come specifically under specific scenarios that the player must actively seek (ambush opportunities, activate sprint) and pay for (in a munitions heavy army).

2 Jul 2013, 18:27 PM
Patrion 27

These points remind me of why I want to see a "hold fire" option on ALL units. Great, so I used truesight to hide my Shocks, Pgrens with Shrecks or Guards behind a building and wait for a tank or unit to go by.

Seems legit... ambush right? WRONG! They will start shooting their small-arms at a frackin' tank the moment they spot them giving away their position.

Hold Fire for all or for none!
2 Jul 2013, 18:27 PM

Tactical Movement's pretty good imo. Extremely fast infantry across the field, you use it for a big push and flank rather than single-squad-boosting, for ganking a light vehicle, for ganging up on a squad or two unexpectedly, or when you can net a squad/vehicle kill or something of similar value with it (in cost it's not more than a single bundlenade, so I sort of think it's OK). Ambush tactics I have yet to see used to much effect but I'm sure it could work alright.

The main problem with the doctrine at the moment is that Shreks are both really expensive and not really a great counter to anything on account of the amount of time they spend rolling around from tank fire or edging forwards instead of firing. They're not terrible and work great in buildings but in the field they don't seem to perform atm.
2 Jul 2013, 19:02 PM

Tactical Movement's pretty good imo. Extremely fast infantry across the field, you use it for a big push and flank rather than single-squad-boosting, for ganking a light vehicle, for ganging up on a squad or two unexpectedly, or when you can net a squad/vehicle kill or something of similar value with it (in cost it's not more than a single bundlenade, so I sort of think it's OK). Ambush tactics I have yet to see used to much effect but I'm sure it could work alright.

The main problem with the doctrine at the moment is that Shreks are both really expensive and not really a great counter to anything on account of the amount of time they spend rolling around from tank fire or edging forwards instead of firing. They're not terrible and work great in buildings but in the field they don't seem to perform atm.

Shreks are actually very good against SU-85, because you can dance around it easily, you just need to approach it form the side as much as possible. The SU-85 has absolutely no means of defending against it, and the damage (120 *2) is very decent against it.

If units in ambush could get the hold fire button at least, hiding shreks behind enemy lines could be very devastating. just picture than T70 passing by deep snow near enemy base in Kholodny. All you have to do is shoot one volley, and the fight is pretty much done.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★