Login

russian armor

USF commanders

AVA
12 Jan 2016, 18:57 PM

I've been doing some research in commanders from all factions and USF seems to have some really potent commanders.

On reddit this was the most recent USF commander discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/3v0ec9/best_commanders_for_usf/

And a lot of people mentioned Heavy Cav & Infantry as top tier commanders but they added: "This might change soon". Are these still the most used commanders in 1v1,2v2,3v3 & 4v4?

I also hear that the Tactical support is pretty neat atm, but maybe someone can give me some insight on good commanders in certain situations/game modes.

Ty :)
13 Jan 2016, 03:31 AM

Heavy Cav is my favorite. It covers a broad spectrum of situations:

Lots of close quarters opportunities? Use rangers with thompsons.

Wide open spaces that need fortifications? Use the riflemen field defences (though that comes from infantry company as well)

Need a badass tank that can 1v1 anything short of a KT and wipe squads? Use the pershing.

The smoke is ok, too, if you need to cover a retreat (especially saving your precious pershing) or blinding an mg.

Other commanders (infantry company and support) are solid, too, and they are usually by second and third picks. It's just that heavy cav fills in so many of the gaps of the USF-lack of mines, lack of smg units, lack of heavy tanks.
17 Jan 2016, 07:30 AM
Senior Editor Badge

In 1v1, Pershing, Calliope, Armor/Infantry company are good choices.

Pershing, for reasons stated below,
Calliope for M1919s
Armor company for flamethrower/mines (Assault Engies have same mine as pershing/inf. co.) and demos, as well as M10s, letting you stay in Lt/cpt tech before getting major/making a comeback
Infantry Co. is good because of M1919s, mines, time on target barrage.

I don't own pershing, so my loadout is calliope, Armor, Infantry. Rifle co. used to be good, but it, like airborne, is eclipsed by others. Mechanized & reconsupport were and still are garbage.

4v4s, I almost always go calliope when playing as USF because it's so good. much better than katyusha, M1919s are great on rifles, RE squads. If there's two USF players, one going infantry, the other calliope is good. I use calliope for blobs/med trucks, priests (en masse) are good for barraging trucks/heavy tanks (like Jagdtiger). 3-4 priests on any truck can lower its health, stop vehicle repairs, and kill retreated blobs.

2v2 it varies; usually calliope or infantry. having on-map artillery is great. you can also popcap abuse (same goes for 4v4s), but armor company can be useful if you have a brit ally on an urban map as they lack flamethrowers. Getting 2 assault engies, however, is risky business.
18 Jan 2016, 06:30 AM

I replied in that reddit thread, though that was back end of November. Now it's pretty clearly:

1. Tactical Support Company

Then all others, w/ Heavy Cav, Armor, and IMO still Rifle Company hanging around up top. Heavy Cav probably the undisputed number 2. I usually take Calliope, Heavy Cav, and Rifle/Armor in 1v1.

Tactical Support is your go-to. Calliope is very strong right now (might get nerfed eventually) but it's the last piece of the puzzle USF needs... long range indirect. It's devastating and allows you to get critical squad wipes late in the game. It's particularly strong against OKW if you sneak your Calliope out and use its first barrage on their forward retreat point w/ some wounded squads there.

Heavy Cav is good if you're in relatively even game and you want to start digging in. So Rifle Field Defenses (sandbags, mines, etc.). Then you stall w/ 57 mm ATGs and maybe Bazookas until the Pershing comes out. If it's an even game, Combined Arms can make the difference in a critical late-game engagement.

Armor is good in an emergency if you gardened up somehow and need to get your M10s in to knock out an OKW Ostwind or OST Panzer IV or something. Engineers w/ mines and flamers are pretty strong too.

Rifle Company is mainly good for Easy 8. If you're rolling along and in complete control and want to keep the pressure up, just tech straight through to Major and start accumulating Easy 8s. No need to wait until 10 or 13 CPs for your best unit.
6 Feb 2016, 23:03 PM

Rifle Company is still good imo.

Flamer Echelons help out a lot against buildings and green cover ( i recommend 2 of them )

Sprint is ok.

Flares are rarely used, but quite useful if you actually remember to use them.

White Phosphorus barrage is great

And EZ8's are amazing tanks, although they require T4.

Mech company is a hidden gem. Use the WC51 to gain a good early game advantage, use refit, get light vehicles and refit them too. It basically lets you rush light and medium vehicles at the same time because you can keep refitting. Its 8CP barrage is also very useful for destroying OKW trucks. This doc requires a lot of skill and good execution tho.

Recon Company used to be my favourite, but the greyhound got nerfed way too hard. It sadly is not worth it anymore. The rest of the doc is either bugged or not cost effective. Dont use recon company as it is now.

Other than that, go full meta with calliopes and enjoy easy wins.
7 Feb 2016, 10:25 AM

Actually rear echlon with flamethrowers are not as good as riffleman with flamethrowers
8 Feb 2016, 23:55 PM

Rifle Company is still good imo.

Flamer Echelons help out a lot against buildings and green cover ( i recommend 2 of them )

Sprint is ok.

Flares are rarely used, but quite useful if you actually remember to use them.

White Phosphorus barrage is great

And EZ8's are amazing tanks, although they require T4.

Mech company is a hidden gem. Use the WC51 to gain a good early game advantage, use refit, get light vehicles and refit them too. It basically lets you rush light and medium vehicles at the same time because you can keep refitting. Its 8CP barrage is also very useful for destroying OKW trucks. This doc requires a lot of skill and good execution tho.

Recon Company used to be my favourite, but the greyhound got nerfed way too hard. It sadly is not worth it anymore. The rest of the doc is either bugged or not cost effective. Dont use recon company as it is now.

Other than that, go full meta with calliopes and enjoy easy wins.

What's this calliope hype. They ain't even that good. :mellow: kappa
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS