Login

russian armor

Movement Order Queue Issue

12 Jan 2016, 02:36 AM

All units (most noticeable on vehicles) consider a movement order in the queue (nonfinal, initial or intermediate orders only) by shift+ordering complete within a large distance of the actual order point.

This causes huge issues with micro and a frustrating lack of control over vehicles. While not a bug per se (depends on developer intent), it's a mechanic which creates behavior that feels very buggy and takes the controls of the game away from the player. I suspect it's also to blame for many complaints people have about pathing in general.

Say I want to get my Sherman to do a u turn around a small house while going forward (so I don't have to decelerate to reverse out or because I've got other tanks coming up behind him, any number of reasons). I shift click about the front of the house and then shift click behind. I then quickly select my other tank to prepare him to come up the rear, or click away to retreat a dude somewhere else. The Sherman is liable to halt, consider that order complete even though he didn't get anywhere near the intended location to the front, and stop to reverse, perhaps back into the other tank I had coming up or perhaps affording time for that AT gun to deliver another shot. It forces players to babysit units without any justification, and hinders their ability to multitask.

This extends to facing orders. Say one wants a vehicle to face a specific direction before shift-reversing out, because he knows it would path smoother, or get away faster, or safer. He orders it to face towards the AT gun, or face parallel to the pathing blocker he intends to go around. Instead, this same "Queued movement order complete within radius" bug will interpret the facing command as complete whenever the vehicle is within a given distance of the point it was ordered to face at, and will attempt to path to the next ordered point without completing the intended facing order.

Edit: this behavior is present on all units (just tested with Raketenwerfer) and on infantry (I tested with riflemen) as well. Presumably it's intended to make the gameplay and pathing feel smoother (don't have to go all the way to displayed cover points if you're just gonna order them to move again when they all get into place), but the detriments these training wheels create do far more harm than good.

Edit 2: In the spirit of Cuddletronic, thanks :D
Edit 3: Just realized that "Major" in the title may be mistaken for USF major. Mods change if u want :O
12 Jan 2016, 03:28 AM
Donator 11

THANK YOU. I HATE THIS STUPID BUG. I DON'T EVEN WANNA KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I LOST A TANK BECUSE OF THIS SHIT.

Let me add on to this: Anyone can try it. Use an ambulance for example to shift click crush through a fence and go back. It wont break the fence and just do the 2nd order instead. Or in some extreme cases it'll do the full loop around to the fence cuz it forgets it has light crush
12 Jan 2016, 03:39 AM

THANK YOU. I HATE THIS STUPID BUG. I DON'T EVEN WANNA KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I LOST A TANK BECUSE OF THIS SHIT.

Let me add on to this: Anyone can try it. Use an ambulance for example to shift click crush through a fence and go back. It wont break the fence and just do the 2nd order instead. Or in some extreme cases it'll do the full loop around to the fence cuz it forgets it has light crush

That's another one--vehicles often path like they do not have the appropriate level of crush. I was trying to crush the hedges next to the base in Langreskaya with a Sturmtiger while testing and it wanted to path around them when sufficient distance away from the order point.

Admittedly, a solution to this one is probably more complicated than the other one; I suspect most elements of pathing are hard coded and close to the engine. It seems by now that few people are left that can work on stuff close to the engine / pathing / optimization.
What I fear is Relic putting off these, what I view as absolutely essential and critical issues, in favor of something else.
Only Relic postRelic 12 Jan 2016, 17:41 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I'll pass this feedback to the designers. Thanks
12 Jan 2016, 19:39 PM

I'll pass this feedback to the designers. Thanks

I see you all bug threads, now I get chance to thank in my own thread.
ty for all your hard work, such dev interaction is heartening. <444>3
Sorry if waste time with thank :D
12 Jan 2016, 19:43 PM

Yes, you had me thinking you meant the USF Major too. Thread title changed per request.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★