Login

russian armor

Ostheer or OKW?

AVA
1 Jan 2016, 00:48 AM

Ok i'm relatively new to COH2. But I am really enjoying the German army, I've always been a fan of the german tanks in games. I've not yet played OKW (although I do have the dlc), as friends told me OKW is way to hard to play as a beginner.

So my question to you guys, I am going to play mainly 1v1's (for now) and wonder which faction I should try to 'master' first. Ostheer or OKW.

What are the pros & cons of each? and is OKW really that hard to play as?
Also which one shines more in 1v1's and Team games in the current state of the game?

Right now I think i'm going to stick with Ostheer, but I do wonder which german faction excells better in 1v1 (just curious :p)

1 Jan 2016, 00:56 AM

OKW is going to be on top until some nerfs roll out.

Also, after the recent buffs and the 100 percent resourses rework OKW is way easier then OST to play.
I recommend you also play the US for allies, since the two factions are very similar.
1 Jan 2016, 00:56 AM

I'd say OKW is way easier for begginer. You don't need coordination between Grens, HMG, Pak40 and tanks.
You just blob Volks + Obers or call-in infantry into tanks :P
AVA
1 Jan 2016, 00:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2016, 00:56 AMUnited

Also, after the recent buffs and the 100 percent resourses rework OKW is way easier then OST to play.
I recommend you also play the US for allies, since the two factions are very similar.

I see.

I have seen the overhaul of the OKW but since I wasn't familar with the faction as I didn't play back then, I wasn't sure whether it was a buff or a nerf, but I assume a big buff.

But OKW is superior to Osth right now you think?
AVA
1 Jan 2016, 00:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2016, 00:56 AMUnited

I'd say OKW is way easier for begginer. You don't need coordination between Grens, HMG, Pak40 and tanks.
You just blob Volks + Obers or call-in infantry into tanks :P

(excuses for double post)

Is the "Luftwaffe" commander still what people use the most these days as OKW?
1 Jan 2016, 01:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2016, 00:59 AMAVA

Well if you want any tanks, considering their overpriced state, you need it lol
1 Jan 2016, 02:06 AM

Luftwaffe is quite good but Falschrimjaegers are not easy to use. They are glass cannons so I wouldn't advise you that at the beginning.
1 Jan 2016, 02:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2016, 00:59 AMAVA

It depends on what army you are playing. MG34 and German Paratroopers are effective vs USF, but against Soviets you might want Panzerfusiliers. When going against the British, Elite Armored is handy because Sturmtiger wipes emplacements and infantry out, while HEAT rounds allow you to contend with their heavy armor.
1 Jan 2016, 02:49 AM
Patrion 27

Welcome. Your friends who told you OKW is hard to play are exactly the kind of players I hope Relic isn't listening to when it comes to balance. :snfPeter:
1 Jan 2016, 04:23 AM

They have some similar units but their play style is very different. Ostheer is all about combined arms, your success depends on how well you use your units together. The flipside of that is they don't have any one really strong unit that can carry the battle by itself. Compared to the other factions they have a conservative, defensive playstyle more built around maintaining map control and grinding down the opponent.

OKW don't have the same unit synergy as Ostheer, instead they are all about using a few really strong units aggressively. They aren't as well rounded as Ostheer but they excel in infantry and armour.

Right now OKW are maybe a touch 'stronger' and easier to play, but it won't be that way forever (we hope). I'd start playing with Ostheer, you'll get a better feel for the game and learn good habits rather than some bad ones (Blobbing...) you might pick up with OKW. Regardless of your preferred faction it helps to play the opposites as well, that way you better learn their strengths,weaknesses and tech structure while also getting exposed to different methods of playing your preferred faction.
AVA
1 Jan 2016, 06:52 AM

Luftwaffe is quite good but Falschrimjaegers are not easy to use. They are glass cannons so I wouldn't advise you that at the beginning.

Ah I see.
Yeah as OKW I currently only have Fortifications and the default commanders anyways :p

I think fortifications has some nice abilities and I like to use it over the defaults, although I can't tell for sure as I just started playing OKW . (enjoying it so far)
1 Jan 2016, 14:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Welcome. Your friends who told you OKW is hard to play are exactly the kind of players I hope Relic isn't listening to when it comes to balance. :snfPeter:

Maybe their friends just haven't played since October?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★