Login

russian armor

Upgrade to GTX 980Ti - COH2 crashes PC

19 Dec 2015, 13:17 PM

I'm having the exact same problems. It's not hardware related, though it could be the driver. I've been looking for an solution as well all over the web, but unfortunately i haven't found a single one yet. The more i look on the web, the more i think that it is because of windows 10. I have these problems as well, since i installed windows 10 and coh2 brits expansion. So it could be due to either installation. However my intuitions says it's thanks to windows 10. I will let you know if i found a solution that works.
19 Dec 2015, 14:17 PM
Donator 11

Read a lot about Win10 driver related issues myself. Anyone of you two care to test the card with an older OS version, and see if it "magically" solves itself?
19 Dec 2015, 14:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2015, 06:38 AMSSelke
I have been running COH2 on an Asus GTX 680 since the game was released and had no problems. I just upgraded to an Asus GTX 980Ti Strix and now the game crashes every time. Same driver, no change in graphics settings, and as soon as I run the performance test and the SU-76 gets hit, my PC hard crashes and reboots. I tried setting all the graphics options to their lowest settings, got the same result. Removed the nVidia driver and let Windows 10 x64 install its own driver (dated July 2015), same result. Installed 3 different versions of the nVidia driver, same result with each one. Installed the Asus version of the driver, same result. I put the 680 back in and the game runs perfectly, no crashes. I ran the graphics performance test in COH1 and it ran perfectly, no crashes. This leads me to conclude that there is an issue between COH2 and the 980Ti. I also tried the "Verify integrity of game cache" trick, that made no difference.

I laid out $650 for this card and dammit, I want to use it! If anyone else has seen this problem and has a solution, I'd be most grateful. I've researched this to a fine degree and haven't found a solution that works for me.

My system:

Asus Z-170A motherboard
32Gb RAM
Intel Skylake 6700K CPU
Samsung 950 M.2 SSD
Asus GTX 980Ti Strix 6Gb video card
Corsair HX750 PSU
Windows 10 x64 Enterprise

"Windows 10 x64 Enterprise" found your problem.
Upgrade to Windows 8.1 or even better Windows 7 Service Pack 1
28 Dec 2015, 04:35 AM

It could be a power issue. It looks within spec, but if the Corsair isn't doing its job under load then it's quite possible that you wouldn't notice with a 680 or with non-taxing games. Got another lying around?

Thanks for the suggestion - I tossed in a Thermaltake 750W power supply that I cannabalized from my other PC, and got the same result. For the sake of keeping my system as consistent as possible until a resolution is found, I put the Corsair back in.
28 Dec 2015, 04:50 AM

Only skimmed through the thread but...

Have you checked event logs after your computer power cycles?

Have anything in place monitoring the heat in various parts of your rig? Maybe your GPU is running hot? Faulty fan or something like that?

Too lazy to look up the PSU stuff and with a rig like that I doubt you have a PSU that cannot handle the new card, but figured I might as well ask.

Maybe throw down a small partition (I assume you have the drive space) throw win7 on and try coh2 on Win7 with all the same hardware?
4 Jan 2016, 09:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2015, 16:54 PMSSelke

Yes, I did. I ran the original Company of Heroes graphics test and it passed. I've played Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Civilization V on the 980 and it worked beautifully. The *only* game that fails on this card is Company of Heroes 2. You know, the game I play the most.... *sigh*

CoH2 is poorly optimized trash. 980 Ti can handle most games @ 4k max , but I've seen users say it can't handle CoH2 @ max settings.

Sorry it's crashing... Try formatting HD?
4 Jan 2016, 09:47 AM

I use windows 10 64bit and a 980ti SC and normally get 100+ FPS on max settings bar AA which is on low, no problems here.
8 Jan 2016, 07:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jan 2016, 09:47 AMwuff
I use windows 10 64bit and a 980ti SC and normally get 100+ FPS on max settings bar AA which is on low, no problems here.

Why AA low with a 980 ti ?
8 Jan 2016, 09:07 AM

Why AA low with a 980 ti ?

I just don't notice any markable improvement with AA above low.
8 Jan 2016, 14:16 PM

A few years ago I had this problem. I was running 2 memory sticks. After much hair pulling trying to figure out why I was getting a reboot, I decided to look at my ram. I pulled a stick ran single and the game ran. Turned out I isolated it to 1 ram stick being funky. I didn't experience problems anywhere else but in COH2. I went and bought a new set of sticks and everything was going well again. Well except for the occasional bug splat game kick out. Anyway, wasn't much of a loss as I was running 4GB and I upgraded to 8GB. I only noticed a tiny increase in performance though from this upgrade.
8 Jan 2016, 15:11 PM
Patrion 14

after reading this i am scared to upgrade to the 980, i think i will wait and see what happens:unsure:
12 Jan 2016, 17:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2015, 10:02 AMkamk

Thought with a frame limiter you might get a way different result, sadly not :/
Do you know if the Strix properly ramps up her fan speed? I really got the feeling it doesn't.

_underscores's suggestion might be also worth a try. TDP at least changed with both cards.

Okay, problem solved. It was indeed insufficient power. I had the 980 replaced with an identical model (thank you, Newegg) and encountered the exact...same...#$%!$%...problem. I replaced my 750W power supply with a 1000W power supply, and the computer has been rock solid since. I ran the performance test having made no changes to the settings at all, and it completed flawlessly. I re-ran it, skeptic that I am, and again it passed. I cranked COH2's graphics settings to maximum, re-ran the performance test (twice) and both time it finished successfully. I've played several full games since with no crashes. I'm convinced that either A) my old power supply was having problems, or B) it simply did not provide enough juice. I'm leaning towards B because the performance test always crashed in exactly the same spot. There must be something about the load that the performance test puts on the graphics card when the SU-76 gets clobbered and explodes that pushed my old configuration over its limit.
12 Jan 2016, 17:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2016, 15:11 PMutmost
after reading this i am scared to upgrade to the 980, i think i will wait and see what happens:unsure:

Don't be afraid, just be prepared. It's a fantastic card, it just has demands that must be met. In my case, those demands included upgrading my power supply from 750W to 1000W. My problems all went away after installing the larger power supply. Note that part of my troubleshooting effort including swapping in a different 750W power supply, which did nothing to resolve my problem. Duh. I can be blind sometimes - should have swapped in something with a different capacity!

For reference, here are my system specs:

Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard
Intel Skylake 6700 CPU
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
32Gb Corsair DDR4 RAM (4 x 8Gb)
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 250Gb SSD
Asus GTX980Ti Strix 6Gb graphics card
Corsair RM1000 power supply
12 Jan 2016, 17:33 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 17:29 PMSSelke

Okay, problem solved. It was indeed insufficient power. I had the 980 replaced with an identical model (thank you, Newegg) and encountered the exact...same...#$%!$%...problem. I replaced my 750W power supply with a 1000W power supply, and the computer has been rock solid since. I ran the performance test having made no changes to the settings at all, and it completed flawlessly. I re-ran it, skeptic that I am, and again it passed. I cranked COH2's graphics settings to maximum, re-ran the performance test (twice) and both time it finished successfully. I've played several full games since with no crashes. I'm convinced that either A) my old power supply was having problems, or B) it simply did not provide enough juice. I'm leaning towards B because the performance test always crashed in exactly the same spot. There must be something about the load that the performance test puts on the graphics card when the SU-76 gets clobbered and explodes that pushed my old configuration over its limit.

And that is the 99% of times solution for everybody having problems with high-end nvidia cards in coh2 in my opinion. There is nothing like amd preference or nvidia incompability in this game.
12 Jan 2016, 17:37 PM

"Windows 10 x64 Enterprise" found your problem.
Upgrade to Windows 8.1 or even better Windows 7 Service Pack 1

I'll assume that you've bumped your head (probably many times, with great force) for even using words like "Windows 8.1" (hawk, spit) in the same sentence. Yes, I love Windows 7, and abhor anything Windows 8. I would much rather suffer a lifetime of egregious jock rash than ever put any version of Windows 8 on anything that I have to touch more than once.

Once you properly demolish all the privacy invasions that Windows 10 brings to the party, it is a superb operating system.
12 Jan 2016, 17:44 PM
Patrion 14

i am happy you got it working, going to order gtx 980, it comes with 800 watt power suppy, my gtx 660 runs coh2 great,so how much better will the 980 be?:)
12 Jan 2016, 17:54 PM

I'm having the exact same problems. It's not hardware related, though it could be the driver. I've been looking for an solution as well all over the web, but unfortunately i haven't found a single one yet. The more i look on the web, the more i think that it is because of windows 10. I have these problems as well, since i installed windows 10 and coh2 brits expansion. So it could be due to either installation. However my intuitions says it's thanks to windows 10. I will let you know if i found a solution that works.

The resolution to my problem turned out to be a larger power supply. My 750W supply was not adequate to the demand. I upgraded to a 1000W supply and my computer has been rock solid ever since. If your computer is crashing back to a cold boot, that is definitely hardware related. A driver failure or software failure *should* cause a crash back to the desktop, not to a cold restart.
12 Jan 2016, 18:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 17:44 PMutmost
i am happy you got it working, going to order gtx 980, it comes with 800 watt power suppy, my gtx 660 runs coh2 great,so how much better will the 980 be?:)

I was running it on a GTX680, and as such could not effectively use AA. A few other graphics settings were not at maximum either. I am now able to run it with all settings on maximum and do not suffer any lag, even when things get really hairy on screen. My framerate during the performance test was above 60fps.
12 Jan 2016, 18:45 PM
Donator 11

I have to say, i'm a bit surprised that this card, with a rather modest power consumption and barely above your tested and working 680, brought the PSU to it's knees. Tough luck?

Glad to hear you finally found the issue.
13 Jan 2016, 02:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 18:45 PMkamk
I have to say, i'm a bit surprised that this card, with a rather modest power consumption and barely above your tested and working 680, brought the PSU to it's knees. Tough luck?

Glad to hear you finally found the issue.

Thanks. I was surprised, too. But after Newegg exchanged the card and the problem remained *exactly* the same, that led me to believe that another piece of hardware was to blame. I thought that a 750W PSU would be more than enough to handle my system, but, apparently not. I'm happy to say that I've worked my system over pretty thoroughly with the 1000W PSU in place and it has been rock solid. I suppose it's possible that the 750 was starting to fail.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★