Login

russian armor

New Faction Discussion

5 Nov 2015, 15:41 PM

Hey guys,

So this question always pops up whenever I play online with my friends regarding what faction would be interesting to have added to the game and also what kind of units would they probably have or expect.

So to start it off we talked a lot about the Italians, French and our most interesting was the Japanese. However, we think out of all of them the Japanese would be the most unrealistic one to add given their main fight being in the pacific theater.

I'd love to know what you guys think. I mainly know a bit about vehicles but discussions on infantry/ abilities would also be cool (Bear in mind the French early surrender and Italian switching sides ability jokes have already been made haha)

Italy: So i'm not expert on the Italians apart from the fact that they had some pretty snazzy Carcano rifles but the better armaments were imported from abroad and that their tanks were not THE BEST but they could still back a punch. Of most interest was when I researched the The Fiat tanks and the Carro Armato P40. Not much is known about them but I think there is scope for some form of implementation and balance with light and medium tanks to stand up to the British, USF and Soviets.

Japan: Was known to use tanks to coincide with their infantry as opposed to the OORAH potential of the German armour. Don't know much about the Japanese and their loadouts but I heard that they had some pretty awesome tanks that were a mix between the Soviets and the Germans which could be well played with.One of my favourites is the Chi-To Type 4 tank which looks badass or the Experimental Tank 5 which was pretty much an Elefant. Officers with katanas would be awesome to see skewering the allies.

French: I know that they had a pretty big help from the Americans and the British with their armaments and the tanks weren't the best thing in the world. Personally this is the least appealing option given how many Allied factions are already implemented. Never really was a fan of the French so my knowledge is lacking in this field and so I open the floor to you guys and see what you guys thought would be some of the stuff they might possess.

5 Nov 2015, 15:47 PM

Ooops I think I posted this in the wrong thread haha. Admins if this is wrong please can you move it or at least delete it so I can post in properly.Proper noob tactics :P
5 Nov 2015, 15:50 PM

Hetzer, panther Ausf F, Jadgpanther, waffentrager pak43(some produced), volksturm,plus some vets left....

an dooms day faction design.
5 Nov 2015, 15:59 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2015, 15:50 PMUGBEAR
Hetzer, panther Ausf F, Jadgpanther, waffentrager pak43(some produced), volksturm,plus some vets left....

an dooms day faction design.

Oberkommando Berlin? :D
5 Nov 2015, 16:18 PM

Take my hand
Come back to the land... Motherland.
Soviet Guards (shock) Army in Europe.

Or the Pacific Ocean:
- Imperial Japanese Army
- US Marine Corps
- Far Eastern Military District of the USSR

If you take the first and second parts of the game we have:
- Four fractions Germans
- Two factions US
- Two British faction
- And only one Soviet.

And when the second part of the only developed, the developers said that the second part is completely Dedicated to the Eastern Front. And soooo where the Soviets?
5 Nov 2015, 16:20 PM

NO.

Nothing new until we balance what we have already. Adding new commanders and new factions is only making the equation more difficult to solve.
5 Nov 2015, 16:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2015, 16:20 PMGdot
NO.

Nothing new until we balance what we have already. Adding new commanders and new factions is only making the equation more difficult to solve.

To be honest I really agree with you but the game will never be balanced my friend. There is too many variants in the strengths and weaknesses of the different factions and also luck does come into it with all the percentages. Sure there are things that could be balanced like how oped british blobs in cover are or the instant pinned status when you get howitzered but they will not do so. If they do, something else will appear imbalanced and the cycle continues.

I dont think any game will be balanced or ever can be. A new faction would just think it would be a bit nicer to see some variety on the battlefield at least.

And Crecer I agree. As it is based on the Eastern Front then there is a whole lot of West going on haha
5 Nov 2015, 16:58 PM

Permanently Banned
For the love of god no. Relic can't even balance two factions, let alone 5. You want to add a 6th? lol
5 Nov 2015, 17:17 PM

For the love of god no. Relic can't even balance two factions, let alone 5. You want to add a 6th? lol

As I said before I doubt this game will ever be balanced even if there is only two factions. Im just simply curious as to see what people think about if they add a new faction then what would it be. A fresh faction or style to the game would be cool.
5 Nov 2015, 17:25 PM

Permanently Banned

As I said before I doubt this game will ever be balanced even if there is only two factions. Im just simply curious as to see what people think about if they add a new faction then what would it be. A fresh faction or style to the game would be cool.

The game was balanced pre WFA release. Up onto the day prior to WFA release, the game was perfectly balanced, optimization was better and the game ran great.

The same kind of cool as the Brit release? No thanks:foreveralone:
5 Nov 2015, 17:35 PM

The game was balanced pre WFA release. Up onto the day prior to WFA release, the game was perfectly balanced, optimization was better and the game ran great.

It's true, a week before the release of the Western Front, the game was perfectly balanced. It took a whole year that would balance the two factions. Ahaha. The game will never be balanced.
5 Nov 2015, 17:43 PM

At this point, I would suggest Relic to move on and start over. Seriously, move on.

They've recently released UKF, so they have to support the game for at least a year. I don't know if UKF sales were financially good or not, but adding more to this game is a mistake if you ask me. Not only because of design and balance problems, but because of fundamental engine issues which we are all aware of. I've spend around 70-80 EU on this game and I think I've got the most of it. If they say they will no longer support CoH2, I wouldn't mind (Although this will piss off people who bought UKF, and rightfully so).

Adding content to the game will only worsen performance issues, bug splats and frustration. Move on and make an e-sports compatible game from scratch if you have the resources, then brag about it.
5 Nov 2015, 19:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2015, 17:43 PMRMMLz
At this point, I would suggest Relic to move on and start over. Seriously, move on.

They've recently released UKF, so they have to support the game for at least a year. I don't know if UKF sales were financially good or not, but adding more to this game is a mistake if you ask me. Not only because of design and balance problems, but because of fundamental engine issues which we are all aware of. I've spend around 70-80 EU on this game and I think I've got the most of it. If they say they will no longer support CoH2, I wouldn't mind (Although this will piss off people who bought UKF, and rightfully so).

Adding content to the game will only worsen performance issues, bug splats and frustration. Move on and make an e-sports compatible game from scratch if you have the resources, then brag about it.

I like this idea to be honest. Personally i'd say that a Company of Heroes 3 just reworked would be awesome with a new engine and coding or at least an updated one.
5 Nov 2015, 19:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

IB4 ISU vs Elephant everygame :P (that was one of the few things we needed fixed asap :()
5 Nov 2015, 19:51 PM

Dark Brits.

Kind of like elves and dark elves.
5 Nov 2015, 19:53 PM

It's true, a week before the release of the Western Front, the game was perfectly balanced. It took a whole year that would balance the two factions. Ahaha. The game will never be balanced.

What for a bullshit, just before Western front we had the ISU vs Elefant meta, where this 100 range units where fighting themselves every game. It was boring and the game was in a bad state, thanks to this. WFA patched removed 100 range units along with other fixes for the vanilla faction.
5 Nov 2015, 20:09 PM

I like this idea to be honest. Personally i'd say that a Company of Heroes 3 just reworked would be awesome with a new engine and coding or at least an updated one.

Well, I don't think we would ever see CoH3. At least not in the coming years, for a couple of reasons.

First, releasing a sequel for a game too fast is not the best idea. That's why Relic released DoW, then vCoH, DoW again, then Space Marine and then they announced CoH2.

Second, in the finals month of THQ, they said that they've been working on DoWIII (I remember them talking about a revolutionary design for the Army Painter with almost unlimited capabilities).

Third, it would be very bad for their reputation if they shut CoH2 down and release CoH3 in a couple of years. "Hey guys, we've polished CoH2 and we're selling it as CoH3". Relic would never do that.

Forth, I think WWII is pretty much used up. Both from a design and mechanic aspects, and artistic and atmosphere standpoint. Unless they totally change game mechanics (e.g going in direction of games like Wargame or some grand strategy games) which is unlikely, and CoH is exceptional because of its unique tactical gameplay.

Fifth. WH40K universe is HUGE. There is so much potential, and I personally am dying to know what the hell is going to happen to blood ravens (The emperor is about to "die" too).

So, IMHO CoH3 is unlikely. Relic is (was) also hiring designers with experience in RTS games (as seen in jobvites) so we can be pretty sure their next game will be RTS.

PS: I was really disappointed with Ardennes Assault. I don't know why they didn't release something like The Dark Crusade (Best of DoW series if you ask me). I woul gladly pay $60 for that. Instead, we got a boring "meta map" with minimum interactions and zero challenge.
5 Nov 2015, 22:20 PM

Soviet Elite Faction.

Coolest name ever.
5 Nov 2015, 23:07 PM

The thing to remember is that effectiveness of units doesn't need to be realistic. Things can be exaggerated for the sake of balance. As long as they have units to cover all role.

Both Italy and Japan are doable. It's up to relic if they want to attempt it or continue to pander towards the wherboo market. Because there really isn't any other justification for having 3 german factions. Another allied faction is extremely unlikely.

Axis side really needs a mobile aggressive faction. That's is good early-mid game like USF. Both Italy and Japan could potentially fill that role.
5 Nov 2015, 23:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What for a bullshit, just before Western front we had the ISU vs Elefant meta, where this 100 range units where fighting themselves every game. It was boring and the game was in a bad state, thanks to this. WFA patched removed 100 range units along with other fixes for the vanilla faction.

But i liked it when people didn't use them :(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight