Login

russian armor

OKW broken

14 Sep 2015, 02:20 AM

I'd rather chew my arm off and club myself to death with it than play this badly broken faction in 1v1 for even one more game.:rolleyes:

My long time COH 'playmate' and me are trying really hard to find reasons why we should like this game. Truly we are. But Relic and SEGA seem intent upon ensuring we don't ..or so it seems. Why don't you just break into my home and steal from me directly SEGA, instead of pretending this DLC game is anything other than the PC equivalent of a club gambling machine whose ONLY raison détre is MONEY. At least there, I get cheap drinks and meals to compensate for being robbed.

Apart from the myriad of other glass cannonitis and complex in absurdity play issues, the OKW resource model is just beyond broken. I used to be a PE player in COH 1. I even persisted after they got nerfed to paper mache vehicles of such fragility that anything other than opening with a boring G43 blob was absurdity. But they just seem Überl33T in comparison with OKW in COH2.

Perhaps players with obvious exceptional skills, :respect: Theodosios, can manage vs Brits or US with them on the building and choke point infested 1v1 current map rotation, but for an ordinary legionary like me, OK, I surrender.

Back to Ostheerwinnning2easymakemefeelÜberl33Tgoodness.:thumbsup:
14 Sep 2015, 05:55 AM

I would like to help you with okw to play with them , but i dont see any constructivity in this post so i dont know where i could help you.

I think it would be better to say us why you suck with this faction (its normal , im not best player in a wold too , just look at mine playercard)
and with what you need help (eg for example russian m3 rush)
14 Sep 2015, 11:41 AM

Thank you Hector. Appreciate your good natured intention.

I played some more tonight with better than a 1:1 win:loss ratio. I have a natural talent for perseverence and determination, if not for micro/macro.

I'll post an upload of a Victory and a Defeat here for analysis and critique. I need to go read up on how and where to first, and find a typical good example of a defeat.

14 Sep 2015, 11:51 AM

Anyway, have a giggle at this. Another 1v1 auto win as OKW earlier tonight. Either my opponent is the world's most accomplished AI stomper, or using daddy's account.

If the latter, daddy's gonna' be mad. :oops:
14 Sep 2015, 12:16 PM

I will take a look on it . until evening you get my analisis
14 Sep 2015, 12:35 PM

I can help you with your OKW, Currently I'm in top 100-200s with OKW 1v1, 2v2 and further on. Also top 100s in AT 2v2's (currently on hidden since we haven't played for atleast a month :( )
14 Sep 2015, 12:50 PM

Iron emperor i looked at this i will write a rewiev on it i just need some time.
14 Sep 2015, 12:58 PM

Thanks Hector and Iron Emperor. I'm in GMT +10, so I'm heading for bed in about 3 minutes.

I'll chase up a typically representative defeat example in the morning and post it for balance. And thank you. I appreciate your helping me out here.
14 Sep 2015, 14:20 PM

Ok i will review this replay from minutes and occasionally i will write there some hints and so on.

Just don´t be sad if i tell you your mistakes , you need to hear em once so you wont make em again.

Also your opponent was really stupid , like not caping his cut off for rought 10 minutes whitch gave you victory because he had no income and he make many other mistakes but i wont apreciate him but you. Also i was better in this game but there were some mistakes so i will tell you them so you wont make em again.

Thinks that are highligted by downline are game hints and mechanics.

Minute zero

You was dancin in your base with your sturmpioneers i dont know why , also it took you a bit of time to start making fisrt squad. But this not what i want to tell you. I want to tell you make double sturmpioneers not volkgrenadier in begining, they are really strong agains british , just remmeber to build raketenwerfer before minute 5 when ussually flame bren carrier arive.

After this come nice fight agains enemy where you win and engngement but you fail to capitalise on this win because you just sit on church with pios they donw return fight and you loose 2 models and thx to this you almost lose pios on retreat in minute 4 i think.

ALso you just replace then with volks whitch was a mistake becuase:

Church has only 1 window poiting on direction where 2 mgs were, so you actually returned only 20 % of volks dps agains 2 mgs. so you was forced to loose

Also there was good capping order with your volk squad early on where you grab your fuel and munition.

You would have better if you retreated your pios and then flank those mgs. If you flank em they would retreat and you will have oportunity to attack (they were horibly postitioned , facing both the same direction)

Also you lost a important house and it really set you back (you almost lost pios on retreat)

Why you went in 7 minute to mechanized hq when you never used it until end game ?

you shoudl have wen for flak hq and go fast luchs , it would have completely defeat him becuase he even lost his at gun.

You make a good leigt howitzer and then even second one agains those mgs it was really useful.

There at 7 minute you have power of one pio and one volk you should have attacked thaht house and use those infiltration grenades to recapture your house.

Choose commander only when you know why are you choosing him and use abilities he have - like using infiltration grenades agains houses and mgs and flares to scout eenym positions and mg facing

Youve had a lot of manpower , build second pio and cap cap cap , flank mgs and kill em

Also if you went flak hq you should hav build some infrared stg obers their really nasty agains buildings and mgs.

You managed to gain control of his cut of and you get his mg and there was at gun liing around.

But you have only 3 members pios (3 memebers of unit are used to grab a weapon) sso you just grabed that at gun with pios , lost em and get at gun (pios cost 320 mp at gun cost 270) . You should have scavenged it after you have decreved it not loose squad to get it.

Also you should have scavenged second mg that you managed to kill but you just let him to get it back becuase you dont grab it or scavenged it.

11.45 you have 1000 mp in your stocpicle USE IT . even if you have build only volks for it you would have win becuase he get so many squadwipes punish him for bad play.

14:00 still no fast luchs even if you have your hq set up

Also it was set up rather badly. Best place where to set it up is a place where you can defend it easily and it cover your cut off and fuel (so it shoudl have been between your cut off and fuel)

How to attack houses with mgs :

Use 2 squads: one will get attacked and supressed while other from diferent angle come in and throw infiltration greandes there = dead mg

retreat your pinned units they are easy target you lost squads due such easy mistake.

16:00 Dont be afraid to end game , just build panzer 4 and luchs to kill him and baserush him
He have no mapcontrol = no fuel = no tanks ,

but instaed of this you went at gun (uselles becuase of his no map control) and panther (the same as at gun - useless)

Even if you have build bad tank you can still use it again infantry wiht turet mg , just dont make that tank idle attack hm everywhere with him only if tank have less than 40 = of hp get away of fight.

You make stg obers - good , but after one fight you just put thme in house. they are short range unit , their best on attack not defending point whitch will you opponnent never attack becuase he dont have strenght to do that. just put volks inside not obers theyre ment to fight.

20 min. attack his hq he is weak to tank attack him destroy hq mgs and then attack with infantry.

Aso use your howitzers more agresively not so pasive.

Ok i will give you here some good coh2.org guides whitch can learn you a lot - for further reading i just dont want to write what was written.

how to use leigt howitzer

how to place flak hq

kholodny ferma key points by 1st coh2 player

Hope this help you.

ALso be agresive agains brits , you want to win until churchills start roling on.

Be defensive agains USA , your tanks are superior in late game , just survive until they come (but this doesnt mean you should attack him , of course always exploid him , just usa is better in early game)

And harras enemy points agains soviets and prepare for early vehicles agains them (mines at gun)

Also if you dont like obers you can try panzerfusiliere spam its easy strategy and strong just upgrade then with g43 and park jp4 behind em.

If you dont uderstand game expresions you can look at this good guide too

Also fie a look to coh2.org guide section it can learrn you lot of thinks pasivly .

And im very happy that you are not afraid play hardest coh2 mode (1 vs 1 ) and show us you game and mistakes.Everyone need to begin somewhere (except pros , they were born to be best)

See you in game

Hector

PS: sorry for misclics and gramatics , im not native speaker
14 Sep 2015, 14:38 PM
Patrion 15

I agree with a lot of what Hector says - except for the Sturm pios part.

IMO, you need to use the numbers advantage you have in the early game to really press home the savage bleed that UKF get in the early game - they'll have less squads than you. Unless you go Sturm heavy, then they won't and you'll concede an advantage.

Plus, and IS in cover is quite likely to drop one or two Sturms if you choose to advance to close range though red cover or you just get unlucky. Ok, the sturms will likely still force the IS to retreat, but you won't gain as much as you would by having the extra boots on the ground from going volks.

Also, late game Sturms will be outclassed and as they only have 4 models you'll find they'll use a lot of utility, where as going Volks will allow you to have panzerschrecks to assist in forcing off late game armour. Yes a Schrek squad isn't going to do much to a croc; but it'll definitely do more than a Sturm squad. Unless, of course, you are able to spam mines about the place.

Obviously, thats just my opinion, but whenever I've come across heavy sturm builds I've found the early game harder but it gets easier every minute whereas when I've faced volk heavy builds I never have the early territory advantage and its much harder for an early bren to start clawing me back into the game.
14 Sep 2015, 17:43 PM

I actually like to make double sturm folloved by kubelvagon folloved by 1-2 volks and then folloved by raketchen and medichouse and then fast luchs because sturpios must win agains IS if you dont lol rush agains IS from negative cover and when you are in mid range you have won because is have flat gmg whitch means they do almost the same dmg at all ranges , even assault grens can win again them , even pios if used properly , hovever vols wont win agains IS if their in equal cover and IS is in cover becuase of IS recived accuracy and their dmg bonus on top of their great long range.

And carrier isnt problem agains double pios until flamer because squad cant fight from it.

Yes the capping bonus is nice , but i much more like double pios for firepower and kubel as supresion platform. It keep brits off balance until luchs come and then it is gg.

Maybe you can learn me something too because i find capping bonus a bit situational as well as going multiple REs early game. Yes if it works its great , but if you oponent know what he is doing it ussualy dont work.

And agains this player you will agree (and agains all hmg spammers) double pios work is great.

Also vols shreck isn t something asssaving agains crocodile becuase of flame that kill em in 3 seconds.

If you dont bait him over mine and kill with raketens or hold him with jp4 and p4 or panther + jp4 its often gg sooner or later because of its atriton capability (he does huge mp bleed)

Repeat:
Build order that suits mine okw vs brit play is :
begining sturm
1. sturmpio
2. kubelwagon
3. volk
4. raketen
5. volk
6. medics (scout car isnt issue agains infantry nad carrier tend to die)
7. leigt if facing bofors
8. some JLI (i love em cause of sniping capability whitch is great with synenerzy of sturms high DPS)
9. luchs
10. if luchs fail JP4
11. what is needed
12. pray to RNG god agains churchills

It not optimal build order on mid opened maps (close ones i veto) becuase it doesnt give me counter to sniper (if comes sniper i try to push him of field with panzerfuss spam for example)

And on long range map i found strums to not be that great so i use to make :

1. volks
2. volks / kubel
3. missing part of 2.
4.volks
5. medics.
6. depends on enemy - it can be mg34 , leigt or some pfuss or JLI (in most cases JLI)
7. luchs
8.JP4
9.more ai infantry
10.JP4
11. stalling churchils util KT come or until i win
14 Sep 2015, 20:23 PM

Double Sturmpioneers is pretty good against Brits. Plus you'll need them to keep your vehicles going in the late-game.
14 Sep 2015, 22:03 PM

Double sturms works decently enough, you just need to use LoS blockers to get the most out of them and you will have far more wipe potential on an early vickers or IS caught out of place etc.

15 Sep 2015, 00:02 AM

Morning fellas. Awake. First espresso pulled.

First, thank you for the critiques, especially one so in depth Hector. I have no problem comprehehending what it is you mean to say even where grammatically or contextually awkward as would be expected of a second language spoken infrequently. I am the similar with German and Schweizerdeutsch. I am not a native speaker but my cousins in Deutschland, Die Schweiz u. Ungarn naturally enough are. As for Magyarul! :rolleyes:

General observations

Thank you for consideration of causing the foolish ego no offence, but it's unnecessary. I've been on the planet long enough to have no hesitation placing ego aside. Ego makes a necessary servant once recognised for what it is, but is a capricious self-serving master.

I've read the review and will give you some feedback on my thoughts so you comprehend why I did certain things as I did, or not.

Everyone makes mistakes. Denying that serves only the ego of the unwitting.

First. Although I can't help to be fiercely competitive in my play -aren't we all which is our raison détre for playing this game, but ultimately I play for fun. Although I do some map and other research/homework, treating it like my job to achieve a l33t playcard score isn't high on my agenda. I understand there's a learning curve, and while I've now got a grasp on Soviets and an even better one on Ostheer who are by far the most rounded and thus the easiest faction to play IME, OKW remain....confusing and lacking in comparison. I have briefly read through the OKW order of battle, guides etc, but ultimately, one can only get a feel hands on.

FTR last night I persevered with OKW and won 3 of the 5 1v1 autos played.

We all play differently, and must play to the strengths and natural temperament whilst having regard for idiosyncrasies of a faction and general strategic/tactic considerations as apply to any individual game. That said, as a general comment, I think one of the reasons I am not enjoying this game vs oCOH is that for all the hypothetical claims otherwise, in my observation in actual play it is actually less tactical and strategic, not more so. It has descended to become an absurdly excessive clickfest with far to much individual unit nano-micro husbandry required exacerbated by a model where expensive squads or heavy tanks with rubbish AI pathing which take forever to get fuel for die in a nanosecond upon engagement after the "T" or "U" key is pressed yet before the keypress registers and the game effects retreat. On that note, I had a close friend sadly now dead (brain cancer at 39) who worked for THQ (AU) on vCOH who explained to me how the game was written with clever prediction to account for latency and bandwidth poor connections. This one doesn't appear to be so well optimised. It will be interesting comparison when I upgrade (imminent) to gruntier hardware to see what if any effect it has upon gameplay and aforementioned slow response. I suspect in the case of COH2, that it does, just as the type of mouse RR and wireless vs wired does too.

Know thyself
So that said, my natural playstyle in RTS is to play an offensive defence when I must play defence. By temperament, I am an opportunist offensive RTS player (Eagle to use the RTS vernacular) and don't like to play defensively unless situational or game idiosyncrasy require it. Ordinarily, I load my opponents up so they load shed and operate under duress, but find OKW opening forces simply don't facilitate that except vs the Brits, but can't capitalise upon it due a resource model induced plateau mid game leaving them only with 'paper and scissors, but without the rock'.

<snip> your opponent was really stupid

I concur. I had already deduced that as per my original comments upon submission. He lost the game rather than me doing anything tactically brilliant to win it.

Minute zero. You was dancin in your base with your sturmpioneers i dont know why , also it took you a bit of time to start making fisrt squad.

Brutal honesty. The dance. I was map sides disorientated for an instant. First squad delay was twofold. 1. MP. Just don't have the MP out of the gate to start build of an SP squad. 2. Indecision. Another SP or VolksGren? Advantages, and disadvantages to both. Double SP is powerful if your can catch individual Brit inf squads on the hop out of green cover. But they are expensive. Cheap Volks give more map (capping) coverage and redundancy per unit (5 man), and offer superiority of numbers (Clausewitz/Stalin 'quality' misquote) and ranged attack complimenting SPs short ranged hard hitting attack.

Re Raketenwerfers. Hmmm.. I am always loath to build them as any AT due to their susceptability to be overrun by initial opening, mobile and powerful Brit infantry if he chooses to go there. IME that initial BGC, flamen or not, can be dealt with by triangulated small arms fire, and a 'faust just cruels it.

you just sit on church with pios they donw return fight and you loose 2 models and thx to this you almost lose pios on retreat in minute 4 i think.

My reasoning behind placing those SPs in the church was that I -accurately- assessed my opponent would go an MG/s to pin and dominate 'centre court' opening. Had he done so earlier than he managed, with the game's pathing requiring endless megamicro to avoid squads transitting to/from base blundering within range of those MGs losing time and position to constant suppression/pin forced retreats, I would not have been able to dominate the field and resources as I did, and he would not have been preoccupied as he allowed himself to become deploying all that force trying to remove essentially what was initially a single SP squad, and subsequently a Volks squad.

I planned and executed the tradeoff of reinforcement of three SP men and three Volks men plus the cheap MP cost of the loss of that one Volks (hadn't planned to lose them totally nor so quickly, but that's how it goes) for time and freedom of unopposed manoeuvre to cap with resultant resource domination as occurred. I considered it an acceptable trade of resource for MP as lack of the former is one of the several Achilles' Heels of OKW as I perceive it. The second reason was that I wanted to occupy centre to delay him from doing so. I knew ultimately it would only delay his occupancy subject to his his building of a mortar pit -which he didn't surprisingly. Other than going Luft and only after achieving 1 CP to obtain MGs, I knew it was merely a stalling tactic serving the greater strategy. The third reason is pursuant to the second. If one's Brit opponent in the particular does occupy centre on Kholodny Ferma with MGs or other inf and subsequent support, Bofors and or Mortar pit nearby, any retreated OKW units being only 4 men to kick off with in most cases, will usually be down to a single or at most two men. They will more frequently than not cross centre or near centre into that fire zone during retreat often resulting in their complete loss. Do this a few times against a more capable opponent and the MP bleed ends up with massive IMBA just as happened with my opponent in this game, albeit for different reasons.

Church has only 1 window poiting on direction where 2 mgs were

Yes something learned here re the window, and noted for future ref. But, the anomaly is, note how long the SP squad lasted in that same building, yet all 5 five Volks died within moments, quite literally. The game is erratically random.

You would have better if you retreated your pios and then flank those mgs.

If I could have pulled it off successfuly, yes.

My reason for not doing so is that that move even had it been possible with limited available fielded troops at that time without pulling them away from their capping, is a too high risk all or nothing what if for me gamble in opening. Lose it, and he is in the power position and I am further behind the eightball with what is already a faction armed with glass cannons. I had already intercepted his infantry squad (intended) catching him by surprise causing him to retreat them. Clearly the double MG with one covering the other was intended to avoid me doing that to him again on them in their subsequent transit to occupy those buildings. I anticipated he wouldn't allow himself to be caught short like that a second time, and at that juncture of the game it was yet unrevealed that his play was to turn even more Gumby than mine it subsequently did. :blush:

A win or fail move in those circumstances, flanking takes time and a lot of attention. At that time, I simply didn't have the infantry fielded to cap, occupy those vital centre buildings and execute a flanking manoeuvre. Had I used the occupant SPs to attempt that, his MGs would not have been in the open or those positions by the time I arrived via a map world tour, but in the buildings. Did you see how quickly he moved the moment he thought that Church was unoccupied when I exited and retreated that suriving SP from it but before the Volks squad actually reached it to reoccupy it, but knowing they would beat him there -just. Chancy, but a risk I decided to take to preserve the expensive SP squad for reinforcing if I could.

Also you lost a important house

Inevitible in my assessment of how OKW play. Correct me if you believe it errant, but OKW just don't have MGs without Luft, and then not in opening until earning 1CP. Nor do they have infantry firepower to hold them against Brit brute force. IMV gettng drawn into an attritional battle OKW can't win in opening is only contributing to ultimate defeat.

Why you went in 7 minute to mechanized hq when you never used it until end game ?

Noted. Reason. Unfamiliarity with OKW and the practical logistics of their resource model. Same reason I set up all the trucks bar one in HQ territory in that game. Too many times I've blundered with an OKW truck too far forward which when destroyed, becomes a major setback. Better play it safe. Ferma isn't a big map.

you shoudl have wen for flak hq and go fast luchs , it would have completely defeat him becuase he even lost his at gun.

Love supported Luchs, especially vs Commando players. Dilemma I am struggling with is low resource income and fuel in the particular.Awaiting fuel just for Luchs or, not Luchs and was the why I didn't build it in this instance. I really wanted a jack of all trades PzKpfw IV Ausf J for just in case insurance, and spending on Luchs would have delayed that. A Pz IV can deal with a Centaur or Crom, the latter in particular which will chase OKW inf from the field. A Luchs can't. Build the Luchs and lose it to a Crom = game over. Build the Pz. IV is the safer move to maintain control of the field and fuel allowing subsequent build of a Luchs as req. That sits better with me as I have seen Brits get out Croms with me scratching my head wondering how did they ever get sufficient fuel for that?!!! And it only takes one. On Luchs, I have built Luchs first in other games to advantage, but generally won't unless I am certain it will have an useful operational window prior to arrival of a hard counter.

You make a good leigt howitzer and then even second one agains those mgs it was really useful.

They turned out useful, but that was more opportunism of my opponent's absence of aggression than anything else. I do NOT play them well at all, especially in this game. I need to pick up on my understanding of their capabilities and very much so on my abysmal micro of them.

There at 7 minute you have power of one pio and one volk you should have attacked thaht house and use those infiltration grenades to recapture your house.

Again unfamil being the culprit here, with the various nade types, although OKW nades are rubbish. Did you note the bundled nades I threw into houses and how unimpactful they were at times? I confess to being constantly infuriated at this in comparison with USF's AMRAAM seeker head guided and ranged tactical nuclear warheaded Übernades. Also, and I will have to rewatch, if the units were just standing inactive, I was overloaded and load shedding preoccupied with micro elsewhere. That will become better as I become famil and more becomes acquired knowledge and reflex.

I do not find OKW a naturally intuitive faction to use.

Choose commander only when you know why are you choosing him and use abilities he have

Acknowledged and concur. Completely unfamiliar with all of the OKW commanders except Luftwaffe in practical execution. Time and exposure will self solve that. Should experiment and rehearse in AI comp stomp, but CBF.

Youve had a lot of manpower.

Yes, I did. That is uncharacteristic of me ordinarily in vCOH or playing as either Soviets or Ostheer in COH2 where I am constantly floating close to zero, but I find myself constantly floating obscene surplus MP when playing as OKW. I've noted this and deduced it is for two reasons. 1. Without being able to spend on field armour due to lack of fuel, or other support weapons like mortars, arty or MGs due their unavailability, I am indecisive what to what to spend it on. 2. Due to the excessive micro in this game of whom I find husbanding OKW the most difficult to the point of nightmarish, I am overloaded, the usual most general reason any player floats excessive manpower. It is a significant flaw I need to address urgently by knowing the faction sufficiently well to spend immediately but wisely putting effective forces in the field ASAP.

Also if you went flak hq you should hav build some infrared stg obers their really nasty agains buildings and mgs.

Straighforward case of not knowing that unit's abilities.

But you have only 3 members pios (3 memebers of unit are used to grab a weapon) sso you just grabed that at gun with pios , lost em and get at gun (pios cost 320 mp at gun cost 270) . You should have scavenged it after you have decreved it not loose squad to get it.

Again, totally at fault for being unfamil with SP unit abilities and questionable decision making under duress of either or and do something rather than nothing duress of time. At that time I had no armour and only the one Raketenwerfer as hard AT, so the sacrifice of the remnant SP squad seemed a more than fair trade for a hard hitting longer ranged Brit AT gun to supplement the short ranged Raketenwerfer should he field a Centaur or fast moving Cromwell.

Also you should have scavenged second mg that you managed to kill but you just let him to get it back becuase you dont grab it or scavenged it.

Oh I wanted it after I naded it, believe me. :drool: I just wasn't prepared to risk getting pinned by his base MG and subsequently forced to retreat or killed by his infantry possibly on the way to there in attempting to retrieve it, as I wanted to use those surviving Volks to cap the points they did, and I already had a captured MG I was using to cover them and those points. It hurt to leave that MG there for him to retrieve it, but it cost him the a replacement crew and time to retreat and bring the contributing squad back to full strength AND I managed to achieve the objectives rather than achieving neither had I gotten that squad pinned. Only afterwards when I watched the replay did I see the MG was far enough from the base MG ian attempted retrievel would likely have been successful.

11.45 you have 1000 mp in your stocpicle USE IT

Acknowledged. Comments noted.

14:00 still no fast luchs even if you have your hq set up Also it was set up rather badly.

Acknowledged, recommended setup location on Ferma noted.

How to attack houses with mgs

I'm familiar with flanking technique and execute it successfully all the time in COH, but admit to finding the excessive micromanagment and pace of the COH2 game frantic less time faciliatative of tactical manoeuvre. Exposure, practice and map familiarity will overcome I expect.

retreat your pinned units they are easy target you lost squads due such easy mistake

Yes those two 'shrecked Volks squads made me want to cry in the replay. But, it happens. With attention prioritised elsewhere, that was THE perfect example of a player load sheding.

16:00 Dont be afraid to end game , just build panzer 4 and luchs to kill him and baserush him
He have no mapcontrol = no fuel = no tanks

Problem was, I had built a Panther. I learned yesterday in an earlier game that OKW Panthers even with cupola mounted MG upgrade are useless for base r@pe. They can't over-run crush, nor apparently does their 75 LL have HE. Can't kill even blobbed infantry for sh1t. That's what I mean about OKW.

but instaed of this you went at gun (uselles becuase of his no map control) and panther (the same as at gun - useless)

I take on board your comment in hindsight, but still think the first was a necessary precaution at the time I produced it. Needs to be on the field at the moment it is required rather than build ordered after armour appears. But the second choice, acknowledged subsequently redundant. As for useless, I am unsure of its capabilities as yet, but instinct says safer vs either Crom or Firefly than PzKpfw IV. I will go and look at the hit and penetration tables vs the Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf J mit Schürzen. The Panther is very single purposed.

Even if you have build bad tank you can still use it again infantry wiht turet mg , just dont make that tank idle attack hm everywhere with him only if tank have less than 40 = of hp get away of fight.

Noted. This is a case of knowing he had AT guns, but not where -yes I should have used flares- and knowing how bloody quickly stupidly pathing don't know which way to turn death dancing armour dies in this game before it can be reversed.

You make stg obers - good , but after one fight you just put thme in house.

At that time, they weren't required elsewhere. He had no forces on field and I owned it all already. However, he had used that house to garrison an MG which I had just removed. Wasn't going to allow Mr MG that opportunity again. In hindsight, would have been preferable to use Volks for occupancy, but that's how it goes. Then I got distracted (loaded) which is why they sat there.

they are short range unit

Standard Obers come with Kar98s default and so are long ranged AFAIK? Similiarly with MG34 upgrade. The doctrinal descriptive spiel refers to Laser StG equipped Obers as still long ranged. Being doctrinal, I haven't used them sufficiently to know the fact of practical deployment. Ostheer PzG StGs are best medium ranged. Not good up close vs e.g. Shock PPsh. I find the Laser nonsense rather too CoD for my liking btw. This is supposed to be sometime before 1945, not 2015. Another SEGA appeal to recruit from the FPS demographic.

20 min. attack his hq he is weak to tank attack him destroy hq mgs and then attack with infantry.

In hindsight and unhampered by FOW, I would.

Aso use your howitzers more agresively not so pasive.

Acknowledged 100%. My tactical deployment of them was/is generally, atrocious.

Ok i will give you here some good coh2.org guides whitch can learn you a lot - for further reading

Noted all. Thank you.

ALso be agresive agains brits Be defensive agains USA , your tanks are superior in late game , just survive until they come
USF are my OKW nightmare. They are infuriating because no skillset at all appears actually required. Just mindlessly produce a mega BLOB and steamroller what survives tactical nuclear 'nades. Everything OKW dead, total map domination achieved, game over.

And harrass enemy points agains soviets and prepare for early vehicles agains them (mines at gun)

Early Scout Cars with flamed Pios followed up by Guards seems to be current invariable vogue from everyone playing reading the same 'how to' guide. FWIW I find OKW easiest to defeat myself when playing as Soviets, and seldom lose to them. Kind of says something about the current glass cannon state of OKW. Much easier than versing Ostheer. Mines you say? With OKW's resource model? Hey I like mines, really I do, but they are passive and so very map dependent depending upon resource control and probable vehicle routing path prediction. Muni spent on mines in opening is something I'd rather not do until I have at least that first Volk Panzershreck upgrade unless it's to lay them on a most obvious narrow pathway like the chokepoints on Semoskiy. Even then that's with risk. SPs take so long to lay them, it's probable they'll get caught on the hop by an advancing inf squad and not complete it, so that's muni down the drain for nada. Staying to complete it is probably just going to throw away MP as well?!

Also if you dont like obers you can try panzerfusiliere spam its easy strategy and strong just upgrade then with g43 and park jp4 behind em.

Thanks for the sugggestion. I will look into it and try it out.

Also fie a look to coh2.org guide section it can learrn you lot of thinks pasivly

Already have, and of course, will again, and again, and again. Because there's just so much to take in and that's going to take time to assimilate. However, the problem is OKW even with my neophyte play of them. Been playing RTS long enough to note when a faction is nobbled to the point of difficult to play and disadvantage. Reminds me of Panzer Elite (COH) and Eldar Warhammer (DOW).

And im very happy that you are not afraid play hardest coh2 mode (1 vs 1 ) and show us you game and mistakes.

Thanks. Sure Hector. I love 1v1 and AT 2v2 (with voicom). Dislike the mayhem and random chance that is auto 2v2 although I will play and accept what comes with the territory without complaint. I'm realistic in 1v1. Can't expect to win all the time try as one might, and of course, it's my opponent's intent to win too. Generally I remain sportsmalike regardless, although I confess to finding USF blob play vs OKW infuriating.

See you in game

Schweiß für Blut!
15 Sep 2015, 02:01 AM

Wow, that is a big post...
15 Sep 2015, 10:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2015, 00:02 AMWerw0lf

General observations

OKW remain....confusing and lacking in comparison. I have briefly read through the OKW order of battle, guides etc, but ultimately, one can only get a feel hands on.

excessive clickfest with far to much individual unit nano-micro husbandry required exacerbated by a model where expensive squads or heavy tanks with rubbish AI pathing which take forever to get fuel for die in a second upon engagement after the "T" or "U" key is pressed.

You should tri grid keys , their great (you can find em in options menu). What they do ? they change normal keys for keys qwer
asdf
zxcv

where each of em represent one window in unit orders menu

Know thyself
So that said, my natural playstyle in RTS is to play an offensive defence when I must play defence. By temperament, I am an opportunist offensive RTS player (Eagle to use the RTS vernacular) and don't like to play defensively unless situational or game idiosyncrasy require it. Ordinarily, I load my opponents up so they load shed and operate under duress, but find OKW opening forces simply don't facilitate that except vs the Brits, but can't capitalise upon it due a resource model induced plateau mid game leaving them only with 'paper and scissors, but without the rock'.

Actually OKW is mean to be played agressively in early game , with long range and cheap volks and flankers that are best at mid - close range - sturms

In mid game they are rather defensive because they must fight tanks without tanks on their own.

Also what i found to be great agains russian guards spam is panzerfusilliere spam covered by mighty jagtpanzer4

Brutal honesty. The dance. I was map sides disorientated for an instant. First squad delay was twofold. 1. MP. Just don't have the MP out of the gate to start build of an SP squad. 2. Indecision. Another SP or VolksGren? Advantages, and disadvantages to both. Double SP is powerful if your can catch individual Brit inf squads on the hop out of green cover. But they are expensive. Cheap Volks give more map (capping) coverage and redundancy per unit (5 man), and offer superiority of numbers.

Re Raketenwerfers. Hmmm.. I am always loath to build them as any AT due to their susceptability to be overrun by initial opening, mobile and powerful Brit infantry if he chooses to go there. IME that initial BGC, flamen or not, can be dealt with by triangulated small arms fire, and a 'faust just cruels it.

you can try going triple volks ad raketen - medics or double sturms kubel volk, raketen , volk medics

i dont recomend mechanized until you know you wont survive it without vehicles because they are squishy , cost fuel so tanks come later , and your squads are without heal
also going raketen agains brits sooner than 4 minutes is useless

My reasoning behind placing those SPs in the church was that I -accurately- assessed my opponent would go an MG/s to pin and dominate 'centre court' opening.

If he manage to capture church , it doesnt change anything on you capability to defend and sent units on you fuel and munition and also you can still move throught hedgerows in south to cut off his resource supply without even mving near the church. And he will have one less unit on a field because he is idling his mg in chuch , whitch will only give him 1 VP and that is nothing great in early - mid game.

But if gets church you need to be more cautious of defendin your house and munny house.

Also leigt will force him out of church rather fast.

And the flank i meant was flanking with sturmpios while mgs were firing to you volks in church.

OYou should have retreated with pios reinforce and going by route near you munny point and then grabing the house behind his mgs (behind church) and then attack his mgs and maybe even get one of them.

Yes you will loose some capping power but the tradoeff will be that he lose some capping power too becuase you force mgs to retreat + you wont need to have volks diing in church any longer + he dont get the church becuase you now have his house and you can easily attack his cut off from that house

Also if he make bofors an/ or mortar pit just go double leigt and barrage his emplacement until they die (if he brace them they cant fire at you and they will after some time die)

Yes something learned here re the window, and noted for future ref. But, the anomaly is, note how long the SP squad lasted in that same building, yet all 5 five Volks died within moments, quite literally. The game is erratically random.

at volks fired 2 mgs while on pios only one if i rememer it corectly

If I could have pulled it off successfuly, yes.

My reason for not doing so is that that move even had it been possible with limited available fielded troops at that time without pulling them away from their capping, is a too high risk all or nothing what if for me gamble in opening. Lose it, and he is in the power position and I am further behind the eightball with what is already a faction armed with glass cannons. I had already intercepted his infantry squad (intended) catching him by surprise causing him to retreat them. Clearly the double MG with one covering the other was intended to avoid me doing that to him again on them in their subsequent transit to occupy those buildings. I anticipated he wouldn't allow himself to be caught short like that a second time, and at that juncture of the game it was yet unrevealed that his play was to turn even more Gumby than mine it subsequently did. :blush:

A win or fail move in those circumstances, flanking takes time and a lot of attention. At that time, I simply didn't have the infantry fielded to cap, occupy those vital centre buildings and execute a flanking manoeuvre. Had I used the occupant SPs to attempt that, his MGs would not have been in the open or those positions by the time I arrived via a map world tour, but in the buildings. Did you see how quickly he moved the moment he thought that Church was unoccupied when I exited and retreated that suriving SP from it but before the Volks squad actually reached it to reoccupy it, but knowing they would beat him there -just. Chancy, but a risk I decided to take to preserve the expensive SP squad for reinforcing if I could.

i write my opinion about this somewhere before

Inevitible in my assessment of how OKW play. Correct me if you believe it errant, but OKW just don't have MGs without Luft, and then not in opening until earning 1CP. Nor do they have infantry firepower to hold them against Brit brute force. IMV gettng drawn into an attritional battle OKW can't win in opening is only contributing to ultimate defeat.

Actually OKW must win early game agains brits because of A - sturmpio always win again IS if used correctly or B - volks spam mean outcapping opponent
Just be more agresive , if you have captured his house and cut off he would have to defend and he wont be so agressive with him mg

and to that mg , its really good to go luftwaffe you get supresion platform + good long range infantry that is rather squishy

Noted. Reason. Unfamiliarity with OKW and the practical logistics of their resource model. Same reason I set up all the trucks bar one in HQ territory in that game. Too many times I've blundered with an OKW truck too far forward which when destroyed, becomes a major setback. Better play it safe. Ferma isn't a big map.

Try to place miedics behind you house so you can start reinforcing in you hq , move to medics while you are reinforcing and there complete reinforcement and heal.

I think you know how to now place schwerer hq, it needs to cover your fuel or cut off but it cant be placed too much agresively.

Love supported Luchs, especially vs Commando players. Dilemma I am struggling with is low resource income and fuel in the particular.Awaiting fuel just for Luchs or, not Luchs and was the why I didn't build it in this instance. I really wanted a jack of all trades PzKpfw IV Ausf J for just in case insurance, and spending on Luchs would have delayed that. A Pz IV can deal with a Centaur or Crom, the latter in particular which will chase OKW inf from the field. A Luchs can't. Build the Luchs and lose it to a Crom = game over. Build the Pz. IV is the safer move to maintain control of the field and fuel allowing subsequent build of a Luchs as req. That sits better with me as I have seen Brits get out Croms with me scratching my head wondering how did they ever get sufficient fuel for that?!!! And it only takes one. On Luchs, I have built Luchs first in other games to advantage, but generally won't unless I am certain it will have an useful operational window prior to arrival of a hard counter.

If you make fast luch you can wipe some of his infantry squads whitch would set him back in map control whitch vould mean you will get p4 before his cromvell maybe he wont even get his cromwell becuase you kill him completely.

And never forget that luchs survive 2 at shots , the third one kills him so you will always win in luchs vs 1 at gun

although OKW nades are rubbish.

i mean infiltration grenades - its doctrinal ability cost only 10 munny and every memeber will throw one normal grenade so volks will throw 5 grenades where each is worth of 30 munny and that is enaught to kill a mg in house as well as any squad in house

Again, totally at fault for being unfamil with SP unit abilities and questionable decision making under duress of either or and do something rather than nothing duress of time. At that time I had no armour and only the one Raketenwerfer as hard AT, so the sacrifice of the remnant SP squad seemed a more than fair trade for a hard hitting longer ranged Brit AT gun to supplement the short ranged Raketenwerfer should he field a Centaur or fast moving Cromwell.
I just wasn't prepared to risk getting pinned by his base MG and subsequently forced to retreat or killed by his infantry possibly on the way to there in attempting to retrieve it

OKW volks and pios can scavenge weapons and dead tanks and uncreved tank , it took them about 6 seconds and give you 5 fuel and weapon will disapear from game. YOu just need to play okw more and use they pspecial abilities ,also be more agressive dont thin enemy is everywhere and waiting for you , he is not everywhere and you should try every oportunity to benefit from it (like decrewing mg , dont grab it just turn it into 5 fuel as well as turning that at gun into 5 fuel and building rakethen instaed of loosing pios to get at gun)

Problem was, I had built a Panther. I learned yesterday in an earlier game that OKW Panthers even with cupola mounted MG upgrade are useless for base rape. They can't over-run crush, nor apparently does their 75 LL have HE. Can't kill even blobbed infantry for sh1t. That's what I mean about OKW.

Just lolrush base kill some base mgs fall back with tanks and rape him with you superior infantry forces and numbers.

Also if you went lusch foloved by panther it would be much better and if you really fear tank just build some mines left and right whille luchs is giving him a beating.

and if you dont want to go luch almost always go panzer 4 agains brits it can give you a big map control

Standard Obers come with Kar98s default and so are long ranged AFAIK? Similiarly with MG34 upgrade. The doctrinal descriptive spiel refers to Laser StG equipped Obers as still long ranged. Being doctrinal, I haven't used them sufficiently to know the fact of practical deployment. Ostheer PzG StGs are best medium ranged. Not good up close vs e.g. Shock PPsh.

Submachine guns are good at close range - point blank (ppsh , thompsons , commandos weapons)

assault guns are best at mid range , better agains long range units on close and better agains close range units on long range.

Ok i need to describe you what actually that infrared bullshit does.

They are like sturmpios = panzergrens (sturmpios are panzergrens that can repair they have same weapons) but they get one bonus (infrared obers i mean) their weapons negate cover , so they ignore heavy cover medium cover and house cover of you enemy so they alwaqys do full dmg to enemy , thats why they are so great at clearing houses

USF are my OKW nightmare. They are infuriating because no skillset at all appears actually required. Just mindlessly produce a mega BLOB and steamroller what survives tactical nuclear 'nades. Everything OKW dead, total map domination achieved, game over.

try early kubelwagon , usa dont have counter to it , if you have problems with blobs just play mg play with some leitgt (they can supress too) or outblob them with g43 pfuss blob folloved by jp4 to shut donw raping sherman (also pfuss get good at nade) just dont send you officier with you blob becuase if officier die (not his squad only he - his squad contains officier and 3 obers) whole blob will retreat to base. Also jagtiger is rather uselles in 1 vs 1.

Early Scout Cars with flamed Pios followed up by Guards seems to be current invariable vogue from everyone playing reading the same 'how to' guide.

Mines you say? With OKW's resource model? Hey I like mines, really I do, but they are passive and so very map dependent depending upon resource control and probable vehicle routing path prediction. Muni spent on mines in opening is something I'd rather not do until I have at least that first Volk Panzershreck upgrade unless it's to lay them on a most obvious narrow pathway like the chokepoints on Semoskiy. Even then that's with risk. SPs take so long to lay them, it's probable they'll get caught on the hop by an advancing inf squad and not complete it, so that's muni down the drain for nada. Staying to complete it is probably just going to throw away MP as well?!

You can outblob his guard with your pfuss spam , they always win agains guard 1 vs 1 if they are at long range nad have upgraded g43

And its always better to place 3 mines than buy shreck (only not good if oponent makes minesweeper engineer)

mines always give tank and vehicle an engine crits , and if you have rakethen neraby it mean dead vehilce (good deal to pay 30 muny for killing a 70 + fuel vehilce isnt it)

They also kill almost always at least 2 models of suqad whitch force enemy to retreat and sometimes they even wipe a squad.

And you can cancel mine order , just click on mine and click stop.
And also nade ca be dodged whitch is also 30 munny down to drain

Already have, and of course, will again, and again, and again. Because there's just so much to take in and that's going to take time to assimilate. However, the problem is OKW even with my neophyte play of them. Been playing RTS long enough to note when a faction is nobbled to the point of difficult to play and disadvantage. Reminds me of Panzer Elite (COH) and Eldar Warhammer (DOW).

You just need to play more to get habbits of how to play OKW , and if you want you can post here some replays of you loses , we have many good strategists and they are happy to help you. (Luvnest is great okw player and like to help)

Hope this help you . Great post , but maybe too much long somewhere even with useless text.

And dont fear to use tanks , just reverse with them when they have less than 40 % of health until you get more familiar with em
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★