Login

russian armor

German sniper is better than Soviet sniper in every way

17 Aug 2015, 22:33 PM

I'm honestly surprised to see how little discussion this actually gets. I'll see the occasional comment about how good the Ostheer sniper is, but my point isn't necessarily whether he's OP or not. What bothers me is that he's superior to the Soviet sniper in literally every way now that he's been buffed. Let's see...

• He has a way faster fire rate
  • He can stay cloaked out of cover for a few seconds while the Soviet sniper can't
  • He now has more health than the Soviet sniper, except he doesn't have to reinforce when he gets to half health
  • Better vet bonuses, and a vet 1 ability that's actually useful. Sniper flares don't impact the game much.
  • Comes in a way better tier building that you're more or less guaranteed to build every game
  • Costs exactly the same as the inferior Soviet sniper (except doesn't have to reinforce)

The only possible two possible justifications I can think of are "he fights larger squads" which is not really that true anymore with the USF, OKW, and British. The other is that the Soviet sniper can be protected by guards using button, but that has since been nerfed into the ground. Well, that, and having two men in the squad is an advantage in sniper duels, but how often does that really happen in CoH 2?

So, really, what's the deal here? Am I just missing something? For the record, I do actually like that the Ostheer sniper is good now. I'd rather see the Soviet one be made relevant again rather than see Ost sniper nerfed into the ground. (Not that I want to go back to vCoH-levels of OP snipers.)
17 Aug 2015, 22:42 PM

Well, the Ost sniper has to contend with earlier light vehicles and requires a med bunker to heal. If you manage a nice early game flank, you'll essentially push him (the sniper) off the map.

I've been on the receiving end of SPrice sniper openings where he got 30 kills in 5 minutes and wiped a full health Rifle squad with one explosive shot. But I've also recognized sniper openings and flanked him, killing him in the first 5 minutes.

IMO it's a really skill based unit, but his lethality and HP should be toned back slightly.
17 Aug 2015, 22:45 PM
Patrion 14

80hp is too much, other than that it's pretty fine.
17 Aug 2015, 22:51 PM

Yes, yes it is.
17 Aug 2015, 22:51 PM

82 hp.
17 Aug 2015, 22:53 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Give him received accuracy penalty at 15-25% and call it a day.

I don't want to go back to the old days of the sniper just instantly disappearing because a lucky shell got him.
17 Aug 2015, 22:54 PM

Permanently Banned

Give him received accuracy penalty at 15-25% and call it a day.
17 Aug 2015, 22:55 PM

Why not just reduce his current received accuracy instead of giving him a penalty.
17 Aug 2015, 22:57 PM

Agreed with the accuracy change
17 Aug 2015, 22:57 PM

Katjuscha rockte to the face, no problem! :megusta:
17 Aug 2015, 23:10 PM
Donator 33

Why not just reduce his current received accuracy instead of giving him a penalty.

Reduce received accuracy = buff

AFAIK both, German and Soviet snipers, have received accuracy of 1 currently.

- - - - - - - - -

Increasing the German sniper's received accuracy is the way to go. +1
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight