Login

russian armor

problem with OPW flak truck base

12 Aug 2015, 06:35 AM

i dont see why this is in the game at all
it takes absolutely no skill to place the truck on a high value point like a fuel point or on a VP
it essentially locks down that entire area and it requires monumental effort from allies to take it down, even worse if they have it defended
not only does it instashred/pin any infantry coming close to it, it hurts badly any tank that is in its range too
mortars can only do so much before the OPW respond to it, by the time you have t4 and prepping with katus and su 85s they already have a horde of shrekblobs and p4/panthers to come rape your face
its one click and you have an incredible advantage, how is this skill or balance, no other faction has this kind of camping firepower at a tiny cost
12 Aug 2015, 06:52 AM

Permanently Banned
It depends how you approach it. If the OKW is being campy, dont play to his strengths. Work around his defenses and counter harass any units that try to cap. Eventually, use arty to dmg OKw defensive positions. This will keep sturms out of the fight and also delay teching.

Try to use alot of suppression against OKW inf, you simply cannot trade cost effectively any other way. Unless you can micro multiple snipers.

As for OKW armor,in this case the p4 and panther, use mines and try to force them overextend their tanks. Killing an OKW panther before it gets vetted is basically GG.

Summery: dont engage a well place flak building. Counter harass and bleed the okw player. USe suppression units and plant plenty of mines. Also, dont forget to use arty. Dont be afraid to trade, base rushing with a sherman to kill 2 vet 5 obers is sometimes something that you have to do. Or losing a jackson/su85 or any unit to take out the flak hq is somtimes the best option. You can replace the unit(s). He cannot gain back lost time from his delayed tech.
12 Aug 2015, 07:02 AM
Donator 11

Keep in mind that OKW has a 66% fuel gain, meaning you gain 50% more per minute, also meaning any loss a fuel based unit hurts even more for OKW.
Their design / advantage here is the rather cost effective teching with goodies - in case of T3 it's obv. an HQ with a fancy flak gun on top, while losing it will also mean a complete (!) loss of teching and buildable units.

A forward position has several weakspots:
- AT guns and vehicles can attack ground at max range, they do not need vision for this, so Zis & SU76 are quite good there
- you can also smoke the HQ, and then attack it
- off & on map arty helps a lot on speeding up the process, or just killing it by itself
(current meta vs. OKW often involves ML20s)
- SU85 can self spot and securely attack it
- mortars outrange it by far, but you should of course prepare yourself for a counter attack
(you also force him to send his 320mp Pios to repair it, which often bleed while doing so)

Overall the effort is rather small, and you should never try to overcommit your army by pushing against fortified positions if you can't achieve anything. So just take everything else on the map, and box him in.
12 Aug 2015, 07:08 AM
Benefactor 392

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 07:02 AMkamk
Keep in mind that OKW has a 66% fuel gain, meaning you gain 50% more per minute, also meaning any loss a fuel based unit hurts even more for OKW.
Their design / advantage here is the rather cost effective teching with goodies - in case of T3 it's obv. an HQ with a fancy flak gun on top, while losing it will also mean a complete (!) loss of teching and buildable units.

A forward position has several weakspots:
- AT guns and vehicles can attack ground at max range, they do not need vision for this, so Zis & SU76 are quite good there
- you can also smoke the HQ, and then attack it
- off & on map arty helps a lot on speeding up the process, or just killing it by itself
(current meta vs. OKW often involves ML20s)
- SU85 can self spot and securely attack it
- mortars outrange it by far, but you should of course prepare yourself for a counter attack
(you also force him to send his 320mp Pios to repair it, which often bleed while doing so)

Overall the effort is rather small, and you should never try to overcommit your army by pushing against fortified positions if you can't achieve anything. So just take everything else on the map, and box him in.

Also I want to add, that you can get a co-ordinated attack on in letting a tank take a few hits while your everything else destroys it. Such as PTRS gaurds AT guns and whatever else you can think up to take out this thing,

I had done this to a few OKW players after forcing his units into a retreat.
12 Aug 2015, 07:47 AM

If he has placed his SHQ out in the open, then you can kill it with an AT gun fairly quickly just using attack ground at range.

If he's placed it cleverly tucked away, then a mortar or two can take it out, or at least force him to bleed mp as he dedicates sturmpios to repairing it.

If you've got munitions to spare you can smoke it before rushing in and placing a demo charge.

Medium armor will take very little damage from the gun, though the dedicated AT units around it could be bothersome.

He can't control what it shoots at. Send wine armor in first to draw fire and then follow up with infantry. Make sure your infantry is still far enough away from your tank so they don't get hit by AoE suppression.

Either way, if you can hold a position around 50 to 60 range from the SHQ with LoS for just a few minutes, you can blow it up. If he dedicates with forces to repair through your siege and hold off armored advances then his whole army is there, so go cap the rest of the map.

I recall an occasion I blew one up just barraging with mortar smoke non stop while my captain killed it with zooks.

Utilize these tips and OKW will feel far less powerful.

12 Aug 2015, 08:44 AM

If you open with T1 and go for 3 penals you're gonna kill the base with only 3 satchle charges, and if you're playing teamgames (you didn't mention gamemode so i don't know) you can ask your ally to drop smoke with mortars/rifles to cover the penals and just drop the satcles on the base, mostly in 1v1 tho you need a unit to tank for the penals or get a smoke barrage from a mortar etc
12 Aug 2015, 09:25 AM

It depends how you approach it. If the OKW is being campy, dont play to his strengths. Work around his defenses and counter harass any units that try to cap. Eventually, use arty to dmg OKw defensive positions. This will keep sturms out of the fight and also delay teching.

Try to use alot of suppression against OKW inf, you simply cannot trade cost effectively any other way. Unless you can micro multiple snipers.

As for OKW armor,in this case the p4 and panther, use mines and try to force them overextend their tanks. Killing an OKW panther before it gets vetted is basically GG.

Summery: dont engage a well place flak building. Counter harass and bleed the okw player. USe suppression units and plant plenty of mines. Also, dont forget to use arty. Dont be afraid to trade, base rushing with a sherman to kill 2 vet 5 obers is sometimes something that you have to do. Or losing a jackson/su85 or any unit to take out the flak hq is somtimes the best option. You can replace the unit(s). He cannot gain back lost time from his delayed tech.

U typed Maxim spam wrong...
12 Aug 2015, 09:35 AM

The only problem I tend to have is that it shoots outside of it's given range (the green dotted circle). Which can be extremely frustrating when trying to walk around it. For the rest, do the things the other commenters are saying and you should be all right.
12 Aug 2015, 11:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 06:35 AMjugg
i dont see why this is in the game at all
it takes absolutely no skill to place the truck on a high value point like a fuel point or on a VP
it essentially locks down that entire area and it requires monumental effort from allies to take it down, even worse if they have it defended
not only does it instashred/pin any infantry coming close to it, it hurts badly any tank that is in its range too
mortars can only do so much before the OPW respond to it, by the time you have t4 and prepping with katus and su 85s they already have a horde of shrekblobs and p4/panthers to come rape your face
its one click and you have an incredible advantage, how is this skill or balance, no other faction has this kind of camping firepower at a tiny cost

My fingers would want to type "L2P" soooo badly. But I would be a bad boy.

Please, play as OKW, play more, play the game. You will see OKW T4 is not such of an issue. Just hope that your T4 problem is not located between the keyboard and the chair.
12 Aug 2015, 12:57 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 11:06 AMJohnnyB

My fingers would want to type "L2P" soooo badly. But I would be a bad boy.

You sound mad
12 Aug 2015, 13:30 PM
Donator 11

Killing T4 shouldn't be a problem. If it is well placed behind shot blockers then you will just have to play around it until you can blast it with offmaps or artillery.

If it is in the open just attack ground with any long range TD. One of two things will happen. It will either kill his HQ, or he will send a big attack to stop the gun. If the latter happens just be prepared with maxims, and maybe you can get some good damage on his army while destroying the HQ.
12 Aug 2015, 14:02 PM

You sound mad

To many complaints about this T4 and I allways wondered what people have against it. If I am to say something about it, I would say that I don't like the fact you can't actualy manualy target something with the AA gun on it. It shoots by itself, on everything it wants which is not allways the right choice.
12 Aug 2015, 14:05 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 14:02 PMJohnnyB

To many complaints about this T4

This is like the first okw t4 thread in 7 months
12 Aug 2015, 14:46 PM

i find Guard smoke + zis-3 attack ground works perfect to against t4 build of OKW, also motars, USF bazooka blob + rifle smoke + attack ground... also something like zero in art will work too
12 Aug 2015, 15:05 PM

For USF my favorite go-to is Rifle Company: Rifle Flare + 2 AT Gun + Screening Troops. Easy spotting and it'll be dead before they realize it unless he has troops nearby.

For Soviets SU-85 sniping with focus sight and/or the buffed ML-20 Howitzer usually works wonders. Otherwise just spam mortar barrage and wear it slowly down.

But yeah, you quickly find out what NOT to do with Tier 4 building after playing as OKW or at least I did lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 38
unknown 22
Poland 12
United States 10
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L