Login

russian armor

Vehicle Crew Thompsons, an overlooked ability?

5 Aug 2015, 13:28 PM

I'll start by admitting that 90 munitions is an insane price. I pay 50 muns for a machinegun that works all the time and I'm supposed to drop 90 muns on an upgrade that I'll barely have a chance to use? And it's very easy to lose your crew with the vehicle, even if you try to have them bail out.

• Though, when you get a chance to use those thompsons they kick absolute ass. Seriously, most people are used to vehicle crews fighting as well as RETs more or less. With thompsons, they perform almost as well as sturmpios. I like to get them on my stuart crew. I find they can come in handy in a few ways:

If you can close with an under or unsupported AT gun you can mow it down in 2 seconds. I've even pulled this off under light AI fire, you can afford to lose one crew member. This can be a massive swing in a fight. Remember - cap or kill the AT gun. No freebies for the enemy to re-crew.

When I'm trying to escape a shrek squad sometimes I bail out if they only have 2-3 men. This causes the shrek to shoot at the crew not the tank, sometimes saving it. With thompsons, I occasionally wipe the squad. I also use true sight by backing around a corner, bailing, then charging back forward.

If you are good at preserving vehicle crew vet but not so much at preserving the vehicles themselves, you usually end up with a few spare vehicle crews. Thompsons make them effective close range support and they can assist with repairs.

Now, I think that 90 mun is expensive for what you get, but a cheaper price might mean seeing combo's like M10 spam filled with Thompsons. I can only imagine the horror of an M10 swarm crushing infantry and then the crews bail out and mow down the retreating infantry... Yea.. Ouch.
I see a few ways that the upgrade could be improved to make it worth the 90 munition cost, mix and match:

• Instant Bail - The 3-4 seconds to bail in combat gets many crews killed before they can escape, making thompsons unappealing. Upgraded crews should bail just like out of combat, instantly or at least much faster.

Some Crew Survives Vehicle Kill - A guarentee that 1-2 crew members survive with low HP when the vehicle is killed.

Scuttle Vehicle Kit - Essentially the reverse of repair critical. Spend ~10 muns to cause heavy engine damage or imobilization, plus damage equal to about 1/4 a shermans HP, to an abandoned vehicle. The idea here is that people don't want to bail and hand the enemy a tank. This way they can quickly destroy a weak tank or at least cripple it to slow down an enemy recovery effort and counter attack.

Also..... Can the M20 crew please, please upgrade the three non-zooked crew to thompsons, M20 is the perfect vehicle for the thompson upgrade...
5 Aug 2015, 13:33 PM

Instant bail is not a good solution because you can't target un-crewed tanks easily.
5 Aug 2015, 13:58 PM

I like it, once one vehicle gets destroyed and you save the crew you can get a new tank and exchangue the crew you have one useless squad on the battlefield, but with the upgrade you can transform them into something that can fight properly.
5 Aug 2015, 14:10 PM

Its decent vs bad players. Terrible vs good players.
5 Aug 2015, 14:11 PM
Donator 11

Make the Thompson upgrade an unlock,

Make it RNG if the squad is 3-4 if the vehicle dies,

Make the bail out 2 seconds under this commander.
5 Aug 2015, 14:57 PM

call me a lunatic, but I'd like this ability to be passive.
Even if it means the vehicle crews' Thompsons would be weaker.
It's already so niche. If it was passive and all vehicle crews automatically had the guns, there would automatically be more situations were it's of some use.
In fact, I would like the thompson on Medics, too (or did I miss sth?)
5 Aug 2015, 15:21 PM

I can think of many better ways to spend that 90 muni. Thompson upgrades on vehicle crew is in the same category of worthlessness with volley fire.
5 Aug 2015, 15:21 PM

I would like to see it be given to REs. Make them a cheaper but worse Assault Engineer squad that can do respectable damage at close range but worst at mid range compared to Assault Engineers. They'd be useful as a cheap flanking unit and it would extend their usefulness behind the early game in terms of Infantry combat power.
5 Aug 2015, 15:33 PM

Make sure medics get them too, I want to see some games with nothing but medics cruising with Thompsons :romeoPro:
5 Aug 2015, 16:01 PM

I'm kind of hesistent here because while Crew Thompsons are wonky and over expensive Armor Company is currently the most powerful USF doctrine by a long shot due to M10 spam so buffing it further is kinda, uhm, problematic.

5 Aug 2015, 18:28 PM

Permanently Banned
Thomson gun rack
5 Aug 2015, 18:45 PM
Donator 11

I'm kind of hesistent here because while Crew Thompsons are wonky and over expensive Armor Company is currently the most powerful USF doctrine by a long shot due to M10 spam so buffing it further is kinda, uhm, problematic.

It wouldn't be so problematic if it wasn't the only way to play USF right now :snfPeter:
5 Aug 2015, 19:12 PM

It wouldn't be so problematic if it wasn't the only way to play USF right now :snfPeter:

Most efficient TD (dat crush yo) in the game + death crit artillery + late game AI call in tank + early game flamer + demo infantry = !!!FUN!!

But yeah no the doctrine is borderline OP with the amount of crazy stuff shoved in it; the fact that USF needs help doesn't change the fact M10 spam is hellish to play against and Armor Company is just call in cancer for the new meta.

Mobile Defense is the same way, ever since they pushed mediums so far back the very last call in meta doctrines have now been brought to the front of the current meta.
5 Aug 2015, 19:15 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Most efficient TD (dat crush yo) in the game + death crit artillery + late game AI call in tank + early game flamer + demo infantry = !!!FUN!!

But yeah no the doctrine is borderline OP with the amount of crazy stuff shoved in it; the fact that USF needs help doesn't change the fact M10 spam is hellish to play against and Armor Company is just call in cancer for the new meta.

Mobile Defense is the same way, ever since they pushed mediums so far back the very last call in meta doctrines have now been brought to the front of the current meta.

lolololololololololoolloolololol
:sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena::sibHyena:
5 Aug 2015, 19:26 PM

Obviously CAS was balanced back when Ostheer was shit right :sibPheasant:
5 Aug 2015, 19:37 PM
Donator 11

Obviously CAS was balanced back when Ostheer was shit right :sibPheasant:

Obviously CAS is balanced :snfMarcus:
5 Aug 2015, 19:39 PM

I would like to see it be given to REs. Make them a cheaper but worse Assault Engineer squad that can do respectable damage at close range but worst at mid range compared to Assault Engineers. They'd be useful as a cheap flanking unit and it would extend their usefulness behind the early game in terms of Infantry combat power.

Thompson REs would be insane lol

although lots of cheap utilitarian close range units serving from all directions is the USF theme, so it's a good idea.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★