Login

russian armor

i find tournaments a little odd

17 Jul 2015, 03:04 AM

why do the tournaments demand that every player play both axis and allies? i think it would be nice to allow the players to specialize on 1 faction and have a great map pool/rotation.

i come from competitive starcraft background where i played for a B team and we only played 1 race. it made for a better series, better games, and the maps were great.

opinions?
17 Jul 2015, 03:16 AM

Game is simply not balanced around mirror matches or Faction matches.

E.g. I can't see how OKW has any chance against Ostheer due the lack of smoke & a early sniper counter.

In the same way I ask myself how usf should counter an ISU that is supported by su76 or su85, not even thinking what a Katty salvo would do on a ambulance healing blob.
17 Jul 2015, 03:25 AM

Game is simply not balanced around mirror matches or Faction matches.

E.g. I can't see how OKW has any chance against Ostheer due the lack of smoke & a early sniper counter.

In the same way I ask myself how usf should counter an ISU that is supported by su76 or su85, not even thinking what a Katty salvo would do on a ambulance healing blob.

if the game is not balanced around mirror matches or Faction matches, how do you justify a simple BO3?
there has to be a better solution
17 Jul 2015, 03:43 AM

The factions are designed and balanced around playing against Axis or Allies, so thats already a gigantic reason.

Secondly, what do you mean justifying a Best of 3? A best of 3 allows players to both play what may be the "overpowered" or cheesy faction, and the decider match is influenced by how dominant they were in those matches by the VP score. What else could there even be?
17 Jul 2015, 03:49 AM

The game does not demand you be good at all factions, just 2 of them.

You can ignore 50% of the factions (soon to be 60% with Brits) and still compete. Note in Starcraft, you can ignore 66% of the factions. After Brits come out, you can argue that the 6% doesn't even matter and the tournament format in SC2 is close enough to COH2 (not like it matters)
17 Jul 2015, 03:57 AM

Just for the reason Dusty states.
If you want to get as clear an image as possible on what player is the best player, removing the balance from the equation is a huge part of that.
God I can see it now, statistics threads that shows "all who win play with faction X, faction X OP" Thats a flamewar you don't want.

It just means all players will compete on equal terms and the end result cannot be debated. Best player won simply.
17 Jul 2015, 03:58 AM

yeah i suppose you guys are right. good points.

sorry for stupid question
17 Jul 2015, 04:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2015, 03:58 AMbearjew
yeah i suppose you guys are right. good points.

sorry for stupid question

No question is stupid :) You cannot know if you do not ask.
17 Jul 2015, 04:05 AM

No question is stupid :) You cannot know if you do not ask.

ha true
17 Jul 2015, 04:26 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I was actually thinking about running a tournament more similar to wc3/sc format, where the starting map for each round is announced beforehand. A coin toss decides who gets faction selection. The loser of the first match gets to pick the next map (from a pool) and the loser of that (if necessary) gets to pick the final map.
17 Jul 2015, 06:04 AM

I was actually thinking about running a tournament more similar to wc3/sc format, where the starting map for each round is announced beforehand. A coin toss decides who gets faction selection. The loser of the first match gets to pick the next map (from a pool) and the loser of that (if necessary) gets to pick the final map.

that's pretty damn cool
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS