Login

russian armor

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong... (as USF)

3 Jul 2015, 15:20 PM

Before I begin, I do win games, but the majority of the losses I have start out as 'wins' but end up me being crushed even though I have (had) a strong advantage.

Take my last game for example; I managed to cap all three stars, as well as owning 3/4 of the map - I had my soldiers, at guns etc controlling mid, keeping them at bay, while we played cat and mouse with the other two points. I was winning and it 'felt' like it, but eventually he started probing with medium armour and blobs of soldiers, managing to cause some pain. I didn't want to over extend so I pulled everything back to regroup and fight on my terms therefore I lost territory, when we did fight it was definitely a struggle to see who was a clear victor. Not wanting to overextend I couldn't push out to figure out where his forces were, eventually I did but after a few skirmishes I had lost majority of my forces, and I thought he had too. So I pushed up mid, hoping to catch out any stragglers with 2x Easy 8s and a squad of RM, to my despair he charged round the corner with a tank, I chased him down round the corner and there was 4-5 squads of his ready to go.... I understand at that moment I had overextended and it was game over, but I don't understand what I did wrong for events to lead up to this.

I've noticed early-mid game I'm quite aggressive, but then I turn more defensive.... the fear of Axis tanks is the cause... I think!

As USF I'm really struggling in the mid game, once I have an advantage, is there certain objectives I can do? Or ways to set up my army or patrols that will allow me to wreck havoc until its a sure victory?

I would like to mention that when I first played this game when it was just Soviets vs Axis, I never had these momentum problems and actually found the game easy. After a long long break of over a year I've discovered my love for USF but the game or this faction is a lot harder...

I can post a replay if that would help?

EDIT: I've realised I may have posted this in the wrong section - sorry!

EDIT 2: Using my initiative; I've added my replay.

3 Jul 2015, 15:26 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

np. Moved to USF Strategies
3 Jul 2015, 15:29 PM

np. Moved to USF Strategies

3 Jul 2015, 23:31 PM

I haven't watched. But:

Think of playing as USF as being the attackers. You can't sit on what you have and win. General guidelines:

-don't be afraid of Axis tanks. Also, don't rely on 57mm AT guns to fight tanks. Only light vehicles.

-never stop taking territory and killing the enemy. If you hit a brick wall, try smoke a and attack from multiple angles.

-USF light vehicles are very potent. Try a Stuart or AA track and blitz the enemy before they get adequate AT. If you have good micro you can deal damage.

-Think of attacking as USF as hit and run. You go in fast, do more damage to the enemy, and then retreat and repair your tanks.

-You need recon to detect enemy strong points as USF. Get a Stuart or M20 alive to vet 1, and preserve it. It can than scout the enemy. If not those, use Pathfinders.

Now tactical tips:

Pak guns: smoke invalidates them completely. From there they are prime for flanks. ALWAYs smoke Pak guns before you start a skirmish.

PzIV: Jackson and bazooka armed troops. Keep Jackson far away and flank at a wide angle while bazooka troops tank.

MG42: this takes practice. Smoke nades, flanking, and the Captains rally ability can break through.

To sum it up, you have to be very aggressive but intelligent. Never sit on your but, keep everything in your army mobile. (No support weapons! Keep moving, capping, harassing, etc.) and USE SMOKE at all times.

Also, watch replays of really good players.

4 Jul 2015, 05:28 AM

I have watch the half, until you finally lose control.

1- Really early you see his BO, 2xpio + 2xMGs + 2xMortar. He only has capacity to stand, not to push. And you don't take this parameter in account in your BO.

Imo, you first wrong decision is your M20. he has 2 Mgs in 2 houses covering eahc other, 2 mortars, you also see his bunker and you build a m20, completely useless vs them. You have both fuel points by that time so you must invest in something having more impact. In your situation, I would have build a half-track to push, put him under pressure. He would have been forced to build pak to counter you or to have a vetted MG.

2nd wrong decision, after your M20, and in the optic of your BO was to go T2. You still dominate him but you build a tier that doesn't help you at all to push him.
T1 + Zook is enough, the only threat would have been a 251 or other mechanized unit since an early T3 is difficult: he doesn't have the fuel.

He is starting to blob and you have nothing to counter him, that a problem with USF. (but what else can you expect from a Chinese player)

If you had gone T3 and an early sherman HE shell or a Scott, he would have been more in trouble.
He went double Puma, which would have counter you somewhat, up to you to micro your sherman and equip more zook.

This is why I say an early half-track would have probably been the game changer, with that you could have push him out of the map. Build a cache and fast sherman.
4 Jul 2015, 07:10 AM

I haven't watched. But:

Think of playing as USF as being the attackers. You can't sit on what you have and win. General guidelines:

-don't be afraid of Axis tanks. Also, don't rely on 57mm AT guns to fight tanks. Only light vehicles.

-never stop taking territory and killing the enemy. If you hit a brick wall, try smoke a and attack from multiple angles.

-USF light vehicles are very potent. Try a Stuart or AA track and blitz the enemy before they get adequate AT. If you have good micro you can deal damage.

-Think of attacking as USF as hit and run. You go in fast, do more damage to the enemy, and then retreat and repair your tanks.

-You need recon to detect enemy strong points as USF. Get a Stuart or M20 alive to vet 1, and preserve it. It can than scout the enemy. If not those, use Pathfinders.

Now tactical tips:

Pak guns: smoke invalidates them completely. From there they are prime for flanks. ALWAYs smoke Pak guns before you start a skirmish.

PzIV: Jackson and bazooka armed troops. Keep Jackson far away and flank at a wide angle while bazooka troops tank.

MG42: this takes practice. Smoke nades, flanking, and the Captains rally ability can break through.

To sum it up, you have to be very aggressive but intelligent. Never sit on your but, keep everything in your army mobile. (No support weapons! Keep moving, capping, harassing, etc.) and USE SMOKE at all times.

Also, watch replays of really good players.

Thank you for these tips! I've written them down so that I can constantly refer to them in game until I know them off by heart. These are little gems as I didn't know/think about the majority of these!
4 Jul 2015, 07:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2015, 05:28 AMEsxile
I have watch the half, until you finally lose control.

1- Really early you see his BO, 2xpio + 2xMGs + 2xMortar. He only has capacity to stand, not to push. And you don't take this parameter in account in your BO.

Imo, you first wrong decision is your M20. he has 2 Mgs in 2 houses covering eahc other, 2 mortars, you also see his bunker and you build a m20, completely useless vs them. You have both fuel points by that time so you must invest in something having more impact. In your situation, I would have build a half-track to push, put him under pressure. He would have been forced to build pak to counter you or to have a vetted MG.

2nd wrong decision, after your M20, and in the optic of your BO was to go T2. You still dominate him but you build a tier that doesn't help you at all to push him.
T1 + Zook is enough, the only threat would have been a 251 or other mechanized unit since an early T3 is difficult: he doesn't have the fuel.

He is starting to blob and you have nothing to counter him, that a problem with USF. (but what else can you expect from a Chinese player)

If you had gone T3 and an early sherman HE shell or a Scott, he would have been more in trouble.
He went double Puma, which would have counter you somewhat, up to you to micro your sherman and equip more zook.

This is why I say an early half-track would have probably been the game changer, with that you could have push him out of the map. Build a cache and fast sherman.

Thank you so much for watching my review and providing feedback, I really appreciate the time commitment :)

Being relatively new to the game and even newer to USF I've been following a cookie cutter BO and not paid too much attention to what he was building, I think someone with expertise like yourself pointing this out makes me more comfortable to adapt my build order. The problem I have is when to upgrade Zooks and/or grenades, things like that.

I found I was also just waiting for my Easy 8s rather than teching 1 + 3. This is my preferred commander but I can see the benefits of Airborne, especially in a game like this.

So i believe this lost stems from me not adapting my BO and not being aggressive enough.

Thank you again for your feedback, it helps a great deal :D
4 Jul 2015, 07:45 AM

No problem. I know the feeling your talking about: dominating the map early game, but knowing an armored counter attack is coming, and feeling powerless to prevent it...it sucks lol.

I would highly recommend Airborne btw. Cookiez strategy is very effective, but going T1-T3 is classic and very powerful if you seize the map early on with your super solid Rifle play.

4 Jul 2015, 11:07 AM

No problem. I know the feeling your talking about: dominating the map early game, but knowing an armored counter attack is coming, and feeling powerless to prevent it...it sucks lol.

I would highly recommend Airborne btw. Cookiez strategy is very effective, but going T1-T3 is classic and very powerful if you seize the map early on with your super solid Rifle play.

Yer I struggle with Airborne, even though I know its got a lot more potential than other commanders due to the call ins allowing you to skip T2; its knowing if and when to use PFs + Paras, also is it best to get a HMG dropped in or buy the .50 cal?
4 Jul 2015, 11:10 AM

Here some tips you can always follow, they are viable in 99% of situation, they aren't going to make you lose by themselves if you follow them.

If you go T1 (lieutenant): always unlock zook and equip your RE squad. Or simply inlock it and wait to see if you see a 251 or other mechanized unit. Unlock BARs as well after. Zook will be your only AT capability for some time, better have it ready.
Zook + half-track together = beat T2 ostheer, half-track T2 OKW and is really good vs puma but you need some micro + luch T3 OKW here again with some micro.

If you take his fuel for a good amount of time early game = T1 + half-track. You must preserve it vs the pak but this will be your best early asset to hold the line (+ a .50). The m20 is more interesting if you didn't succeed to take his fuel, cheap in fuel and good for harassing.

If you go T2, always unlock BARs.

Going T1 + T2 as USF is really situational. I'll say only if you see an early Stug / Ostwind or Jagpz4. The rest of it is manageable via T1/zook + T3 + commanders assets.

Airborn to skip T1 is ok if you have a really good micro. You can't have more than 1 para in 1vs1, they are too expensive. Airborn is better to skip T3, in fact to drop an ATgun if required.

Actually with the new HMG42 meta, infantry doctrine with the mobile mortar is more than interesting. The commander would have work very well in you game. Early mortar + hmg.50 to cover it.
4 Jul 2015, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2015, 11:10 AMEsxile

Airborn to skip T1 is ok if you have a really good micro. You can't have more than 1 para in 1vs1, they are too expensive. Airborn is better to skip T3, in fact to drop an ATgun if required.

Thank you, regarding your point above, did you mean skipping T2 (AT guns etc) or actually skip armour completely from T3?

Just thought I'd say - I've learnt so much from just this thread alone, guys you are amazing! Thank you! :D
4 Jul 2015, 18:32 PM

Try using Pathfinders and Paratroopers in synergy. Paths provide recon, plant beacons that Paras can reinforce at, and snipe infantry at long range. (The special rifle Pathfinders use instantly kills any enemy soldier under 80% HP. Vs weakened squads its terrifically effective.)

If you run out of beacons, just destroy one by clicking on it and plant another.

With your Paras, the choice of what to upgrade them with depends on what faction your playing.

Vs OKW, their tons of troops demand the .30 cal so you can plink at them with the highest dps weapons in game. I wouldn't recommend using the suppression ability.

Vs Ostheer, Thompsons. They'll allow to flank support weapons and brutalize them with the "Tactical Assault" ability. You can wipe two Pak guns in seconds with this ability at close range.

Another tip on Paratrooper usage: to take out the OKW Flak HQ, smoke it with Sherman's and have Paratroopers plant Satchel charges while in the smoke. It's best to lure his army away with yours, retreat quickly, and catch him with his pants down when you do this.

Similarly, Thompson Paratroopers flanking Pak guns is super effective. Just charge them down, because once their gone, your Sherman's can have a field day with HE Shells.
4 Jul 2015, 18:39 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2015, 11:56 AMWilax

Just thought I'd say - I've learnt so much from just this thread alone, guys you are amazing! Thank you! :D

Which is why I moved your thread.

We have good Strategists to be sure, but they are not on call all the time. If you have an interest in a particular army, then sharing your probs with others who like the same faction, is a very good alternative :thumb:
4 Jul 2015, 23:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Dang, not much to add.

I'll watch the replay, and add input only if you want or still need me to OP.
5 Jul 2015, 01:06 AM

don't be afraid of Axis tanks. Also, don't rely on 57mm AT guns to fight tanks. Only light vehicles.

Sorry, but this is completely bs. M1 with his v1 ability and his special ammo, is one of best AT in da game.
5 Jul 2015, 02:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jul 2015, 01:06 AMFrost

Sorry, but this is completely bs. M1 with his v1 ability and his special ammo, is one of best AT in da game.

Im speaking to him as a relative noobie to the faction. Support weapons are not the USF strength. Hence until he really wraps his head around the nuances building them as an army mainstay is a bad idea.

I'd also argue that the primary use of the M1 is base sniping with Take Aim, countering Stugs, Luchs, and Halftracks. Later game stages you'll have Jacksons or Wolverines. M1 vs Ostheer a pop cap waste if he goes for medium tanks and Gren heavy army with mortars. (Every composition that doesn't revolve around MG42s en masse and it Stugs.)

Grens and Mortars are bane of 4 man crew, and lack of a reliable AT snare means mediums will flank easily.

If you see a Stug, and enemy lacks indirect, I would build M1. And if I encounter Luchs/Flaktrack/other Stug/ Flak HQ, I would too. But there's a reason it doesn't perform the same role as the Pak.
5 Jul 2015, 18:19 PM

(No support weapons! Keep moving, capping, harassing, etc.)

I'm sorry, but this is not the best advice (the rest is solid though...).

The new .50cal is essential, it supposedly has the fastest setup time -- i've never verified this statisitc -- so it is actually quite mobile and able to keep up with an army that is always on the move (like my army :D).
5 Jul 2015, 18:54 PM

For someone new to the USF support weapons would only encourage defensive play. I'm not disputing the effectiveness of the USF support weapons. But the basic gist of the USF is dominate with Rifles, bring out a light vehicle, and then get some Shermans and blast the enemy away. It's possible to do that with no .50.

7 Jul 2015, 17:54 PM

Dang, not much to add.

I'll watch the replay, and add input only if you want or still need me to OP.

Thanks for the offer Cookie, but I wouldn't waste your time :P as I've taken all this information on board (I have a diagram next to me written out detailing what I should do in a certain situation).

However I've lost countless games since this game even though I feel my gameplay and game knowledge has improved drastically... Either I'm over thinking it all -OR- I haven't improved as much as I thought. Either way the best thing to do is keep playing. What annoys me though is I played a handful of games as soviets and won, but I feel I played 'better' in my USF games but still lost; but like I said: its practice.

COH2.org community is awesome (and mature), thanks for all the tips guys, maybe they will help others out too :D
7 Jul 2015, 18:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jul 2015, 17:54 PMWilax

COH2.org community is awesome (and mature), thanks for all the tips guys, maybe they will help others out too :D

If only this was the case for everyone here :foreveralone:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS