Login

russian armor

What to do as OKW mid game?

25 Jun 2015, 17:51 PM

I mostly play team games with my two friends, so the issues OKW have seem to be largely mitigated. Recently though, I've been playing 2v2s and 1v1s, and have been having a very hard time passing mid game.

I can last early with sturm + kubel, but once the bars/ptsr come out the kubel becomes a walking time bomb. I try to transition into the specialized light vehicles OKW have (luch/flak halftrack) but these seem to only slightly put off the problem just to bite me in the ass once the opponent rushes a medium tank. The Flak half works wonders, but with its setup time and speed its extremely easy to lose. The luch is great too, but requires enough fuel teching for that you have it for such a short time before tanks come out.

I want to build the support gun, but 430 for a mediocre mortar is just so rough. Obers require teching, and with the munition cost on the lmgs, its either upgrade obers or upgrade shreks on volks. And by the time i get obers out anyways, i now have a vet 0 unit fighting vet 2-3 upgraded units.

I'm sure i'm playing wrong, since I've always relied on my team to get me to OKW's strongpoints, so what do others do to help fight off mid game as OKW?
25 Jun 2015, 17:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Fortifications (Lutfwaffe if you have to)

Not tried this in this patch but:

Get 3 or 4 MG 34s, stick them in buildings by preference or Trenches if you have to

Back up with some raketen later on

I like to have 3 pairs and put them in 3 interlocking buildings

This will not stop any heavy push, or even a medium one, but it does buy time to get your Volks over there.

It's also MP only units that you can easily replace and don't need to worry about losing; and you will want to lose them later on when you can get Heavy Armour out so they aren't sucking pop cap
25 Jun 2015, 18:05 PM

Wait for the next patch were Relic fixes a lot of your complaints. I'm not kidding.
25 Jun 2015, 18:05 PM

I've been playing with MG34's since the patch but they don't seem to cut it from my experience. Last night i had 2 mg34 in medium cover advanced upon by 3 rifles, all with A1919 lmgs. They all hit the dirt in open cover, killed on of my mgs, and I force retreated the other. Along side my mgs i had a single volks in medium cover.

How do you use the mg34 to beat infantry when rifles can just kill them straight up like that?
25 Jun 2015, 18:07 PM

Wait for the next patch were Relic fixes a lot of your complaints. I'm not kidding.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think thats the best way to making myself better.

If i learn now, then a patch fixing all of this should make me that much better, eh?
25 Jun 2015, 18:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2015, 18:05 PMDraje
I've been playing with MG34's since the patch but they don't seem to cut it from my experience. Last night i had 2 mg34 in medium cover advanced upon by 3 rifles, all with A1919 lmgs. They all hit the dirt in open cover, killed on of my mgs, and I force retreated the other. Along side my mgs i had a single volks in medium cover.

How do you use the mg34 to beat infantry when rifles can just kill them straight up like that?

Focus fire is really all you can do, defensive stance is broken as all hell. The MG34 also has very poor DPS now (but good suppression) meaning you can't really leave it all on it's lownsome because it can't kill anything without incendiary rounds.
25 Jun 2015, 18:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Moved to OKW Strategies
25 Jun 2015, 18:13 PM

Focus fire is really all you can do, defensive stance is broken as all hell. The MG34 also has very poor DPS now (but good suppression) meaning you can't really leave it all on it's lownsome because it can't kill anything without incendiary rounds.

I generally try to advanced with sturms, given volks have such piss poor dps (even more so once you get a shrek) but sturms just don't scale well. They cost a lot to reinforce, and a large portion of their vet is useless to combat.

As well the A1919 suppressed my units when i tried to advance on them :(

Maybe bite the cost and make 2-3 sturms early on?
25 Jun 2015, 21:40 PM

Get the jagd4 out and try to keep it alive, also a puma should do well if combined withe jagd4 and infantry. By this time, the enemy should already have some tanks, so hunt the down one by one, avoid large groups and keep your vehicles alive so they vet to 5 and can be pain in the ass if supported.
25 Jun 2015, 22:08 PM

Replay Please! :D

Realistically you either have to start with MechReg to get a FlakHT out at a relevant time, or you go battlegrouppe to schwerer, that's sorta all you can do.

by being efficient in your build orders you should be able to get the vehicles when they're at the most potent, especially the Luchs.

mg's need to be supported, and you need to have a lot of them. one of my favourite builds vs the usf revolves around a flakht, 3 mg34's and 4 volks, supplemented by a puma and raketens creeping forward until you can plop down a PaK43 at a deadly crossroad, but more realistically going BGHQ, 5 volks 3 mg's maybe a falls squad, or LeIG into Luchs should give you enough beef to at least compete in the midgame when you will then decide whether you want a JPiV (and then 2) or if you can afford the luxury of a P5.
25 Aug 2015, 11:48 AM
Benefactor 340

i normaly get two pumas which if microsed well enough can kill anything soviets get a t-3 and anything the Americans can get a t-3 untill i can get a jp4 if the enemy is intent on infantry then i might go t-4 instad and have the pumas with a luchs
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 63
South Africa 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak