Login

russian armor

Good Matchmaking Systems?

10 Jun 2015, 16:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

From playing numerous multiplayer games, I'm noticing the complaint of whatever given multiplayer games' matchmaking is bad tends to be pretty common. Thus, I would like to ask if any of you have any input on what you would regard as certainly good matchmaking in games you've seen.

This is not some sort of thinly-veiled rhetorical question, I regard myself as legitimately ignorant to the general topic, and so I post this to hope to learn more of it.
11 Jun 2015, 08:17 AM

I think systems that pick competitors by personal skill rather than in-game assets tend to be close to what you could call a good system. However this works fine with games that have a large enough player base. The less players you have to pick from the more the skill range gap between the competitors. I think League of Legends and DotA 2 come close to a good matchmaking system. Also CS:GO. CS:GO for example doesn't even let me play with my much more skilled friends because of the skill gap.
13 Jun 2015, 04:06 AM
Donator 11

COH2 has a rather decent MM system in theory, but often lacks the players to support it, so you may get insanely awkward matches.

Quake Live had a very good Tier / ELO based system as well, but got circumvented by smurfing seal clubbers all the time. But it does have really good community started servers now that enforce a certain ELO range via bot.

CS:GO i would consider to be one of the best, but it's more or less screwed up by the insanely huge smurfing & boosting / deranking crowd.

So on one hand you got a quite decent system that doesn't anticipate low player numbers and screws itself up, and on the other you got communities who try to wreck the system at all costs.
I wonder though what would happen if COH2 had a huge playerbase...
13 Jun 2015, 04:53 AM

SC2 with a combination of ESL's EPS/EAS promotion and demotion system imo would be the gold standard-- bearing in mind the point that has been mentioned but always bears reiteration, that a match making system is only as good as its player base.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★