Login

russian armor

Are custom skins allowed?

3 Jun 2015, 05:40 AM

Hi all, I'm sort of new to COH but am a fan of modding within games. I heard from forum posts, etc. that custom modding with skins were disabled last year or something. Is that still true?, because it would be great to be able to create some custom infantry skins (if it is, are there any tutorials out there?) Thanks for any reply.
3 Jun 2015, 08:33 AM

Sorry, there is one more thing that I'm not clear about:
When I start up e.g. -dev -mod ShockTroops, there's a fatal error that's associated with the -mod command. Is this related with when Relic blocked modding (with skins as well(?),) and is there a way to activate any of these? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
3 Jun 2015, 08:36 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Skin-Modding is still disabeled :/
3 Jun 2015, 08:50 AM

My Dawn Of War Experience tells me that, if people can chose their own skins, half of the players will drive around wth pink tanks with penis symbols as decals
3 Jun 2015, 09:49 AM

...ok thx
The only establishment I could get to was to extract the .rgt file out ready for editing. I couldn't find a way to put them back in or to make a -mod file that will work in the game (is this the way they disabled it?)
Also for another sidenote, are there any mentions that they may be remerged into the game later? The hope I hanged onto was this quote by Asman: "I have created one mode with skin custom and icon custom but is not possibel to lunch i have one..." of which he later said he fixed it (dated Feb this year.)
3 Jun 2015, 14:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge

-mod <modName> was disabled when the game was released. The only way to load a mod is to load it in the game lobby, under either Tuning Pack or Win Condition.

The game has checks to make sure only allowed file types are used in a custom archive. There is no way around it, so you will just have to wait until it is officially supported by Relic.
4 Jun 2015, 09:37 AM

ok so just to confirm everything (sry for not understanding this concept,)
-Modding can come by enabling them in game through e.g. tuning packs or by editing the archive files .sga
-However, when for example, you open up an archive file and extract a file say shocktroop.rgt and you edit it,
-Put it back into the archive file (ArtSoviet.sga) and load up the game, COH2 will detect it has been changed not accordingly causing you to crash/something else (not work with this change.)

And also, I've seen top profile modders like Janne252 making mods like his AOE3 conversion of COH2; does he have extra access to them/not true/something else that allows him to make those awesome looking mods?
Thanks for any help, is the above all true?
4 Jun 2015, 12:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It will simply not load the archive.

Just use the Mod Builder and Attribute Editor.

Janne uses a lot of SCAR (SCripting At Relic), which is basically Lua with some functionality removed. So, he does not use anything different, since SCAR can be used in a Win Condition Pack.
4 Jun 2015, 12:45 PM

k thx for all the help! so i'm guessing scar's functionalities are sorta like the ones that are allowed to be edited when using the -dev mode ingame?
4 Jun 2015, 15:15 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes, the -dev switch allows some SCAR and Lua functions to be used in the console.
24 Jun 2015, 07:07 AM

Hey, now that they have allowed some extra modding, does that mean we can make our own skins now (if yes, is it also for infantry)?
24 Jun 2015, 11:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes, but only for vehicles.
24 Jun 2015, 11:54 AM

someone do a black ops skin(full black) :D
24 Jun 2015, 12:25 PM

So if i download a vehicle skin pack, is it only visible for me or all players?
24 Jun 2015, 12:28 PM
Honorary Member Badge

For all players in a custom game that have not turned decals and skins off in the options.
24 Jun 2015, 18:50 PM

Yes the "Skin" pack refers to vehicle camo but in the changelog we see there is something called an "Asset Pack" and "Scenario packs can now depend on asset packs."

Game 'assets' always means media content like models, textures, sounds etc. Unless this pack type is deliberately and strictly limited, I imagine this means we can use custom skins for infantry or anything else.
24 Jun 2015, 18:53 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It is very limited. Assets in this case are mainly textures, stamps, atmospheres, and FX. It is meant for scenarios.

ATTRIB:
+-attrib
+-<attributes>
DATA:
+-art
+-fx
+-*.bfx
+-*.rgt
+-scenarios
+-grass
+-blades
+-textures
+-*.rgt
+-*.bdf
+-types
+-*.gdf
+-presets
+-atmosphere
+-*.aps
+-textures
+-*.rgt
+-*.terrainmaterial
+-*.tmm
+-stamps
+-*.stamp
+-ui
+-<icons>
INFO:
+-<mod info>
+-*.dds
+-*.tga
LOCALE:
+-<locale>
+-<locale>.ucs

Source: Essence Engine Wiki
24 Jun 2015, 18:57 PM

You're 100% certain we can't burn art/armies/ in there?
24 Jun 2015, 19:00 PM

You know that Scenario Packs also mean MP maps, I'm holding out hope here
24 Jun 2015, 19:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge

100% certain. Look at "data\art" in the hierarchy. Nothing is permitted in that folder.

I edited my post to reflect that scenarios are also MP, but it doesn't change anything.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS